Favorite Drummer

-
There are just so many great and different styles. Nearly impossible to point at one guy and say, "hes the best!"

That holds true for most any musical instrument. Drum wise, there are those like Bonzo, Mitch Mitchell, Moon, Charlie Watts, Ginger, Ringo and Neil Peart who were in highly visible, benchmark creating bands but they have their off night/clunker tunes as well.

Despite that, the reasons we site so many of the older classic rock/jazz drummers is that compared to nowadays, regardless of whether they were self taught or not, they had the rudiments down. There are quite a few modern drummers that shine but a lot of them can't even do a proper drum roll.

Other noteworthy drummers:

Bill Bruford - Yes, King Crimson
Terry Bozzio
Simon Phillips
Richie Hayward - Little Feat
Vinnie Colaiuta
Hal Blaine
The Funk Brothers - Motown drummers Uriel Jones, Benny Benjamin and Pistol Allen (along with jazzers Krupa, Buddy Rich and Sonny Payne, the motown stuff made a huge impression on John Bonham)
Al Jackson Jr. - Booker T and the MG's, Stax records
Jim Keltner
Jazzers Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Billy Cobham, Philly Joe Jones.
Doug Clifford - CCR

John Stanier (Helmet) Dave Lombardo(Slayer)

A-150-251525-1104516395.jpg

No arguement, Peart was, is the best. My favorites though, are Gary Peterson (Guess Who), and Phil Rudd (AC/DC). They just have really cool styles.

collins out of the 3, castillo-carr-colinns.

the other 2 guys [carr-castillo] r ur average 'crap' drummers.
good thing castillo had the delay...that chop'less' bastard.
tho carr sucked even worse...

the tower of power drummer has some chops [garibaldi]
mitch mitchell was such a bitchin rock/jazz drummer...unreal for a guy that high, and then did christian rock after that till he died. rip
neil pert at the 'buddy rich' memorial was superb, he plays so percise, as usual... a lot of people dont know about his jazz stuff.
Billy Cobham is a one handed snare master...the guy can walk that thing with any groove...Awesome.

buddy ...a technician like no other today 'rudiment king', but was an azzhole to most.
louie belson... another rudiment/swing guy, a master! and all around player.

collins out of the 3, castillo-carr-colinns.

the other 2 guys [carr-castillo] r ur average 'crap' drummers.
good thing castillo had the delay...that chop'less' bastard.
tho carr sucked even worse...

Maybe true.... but these threads - guitar, bass, and drummer - are titled "Favorite" not "Best". I still throw some 80's (crappy?) metal cd's on now and again for a listen.

Wylde1.

Maybe true.... but these threads - guitar, bass, and drummer - are titled "Favorite" not "Best". I still throw some 80's (crappy?) metal cd's on now and again for a listen.

Wylde1.

it's not the music, it's their ability or lack of.

not shting on your taste.. just offering up my take on the same.

Not just cuz he's a good friend of mine, but I think he RAWKS.
Darrell Millar of the "Killer Dwarfs", "Laidlaw", "Sphinx" and now "Automan".
http://www.darrellmillar.com/main.htm
There's many great drummers out there, hard to pic one.
Love the Killer Dwarfs, saw them a lot back in the day, I got a chance to speak to Darrell once a long time ago. great guy.

Moon, Bonzo, Baker all greats....

Ian Paice from Deep Purple.

OK, I know I mentioned Blackmore on the Guitar thread - what can I say, I'm a huge Deep Purple Fan! LOL

Damn, my age is showing..

Wow.... I can't beleive all the noise - makers that have been mentioned and NO ONE has mentioned Dan Carrey from TOOL !?!?!?!? C`mon guys!

While Neil Peart is hands-down THE best (I've seen Rush about 17 times at last count....) Dan Carrey is probably second in my opinion. Technique & talent closely approaching Neil. I've seen Tool only twice (so far) and he's been the stand-out player both times. And I'm a BASS player and Justin Chancellor is no slouch on Bass! Dan is THAT good studio & live.

Honorable mentions:
The REV from Avenged Sevenfold. Too bad we recently lost him... MONSTER double-kick player. MONSTER.

Ian Pace (as mentioned...) a study in single kick playing. He puts MANY double kick drummers to shame.

Les Binks From early Judas Priest. Another player with a great groove.

Billy Cobham..... If you don't know who he is, put down your Zeppilin & Beatles 8 tracks and go Google him. He's old school and most of you guys should know him....

This is why I avoid music threads: too many opinions
:toothy10:

-
Back