FBO's HRR688 Mopar ECU

-
I am sufficiently negatively impressed with FBO that I have no interest or intent to try out whatever new stuff they may be offering. Specifically, I don't like that their (current/previous/not the one you show the photo of) "upgrade" ignition system performs no better than off-the-shelf Mopar components when measured objectively with appropriate test equipment, and I don't like that they play fast-'n'-loose with pesky things like facts in an effort to con/vince people into buying their stuff. Reminds me a lot of the tactics and storybooks "Doctor" Jacobs used to sell his crummy ignition parts (and might still be doing; I haven't paid attention to Jacobs for years). "None for me thanks, I'm driving!"

There is no reason or need to spend a lot of money to have a really good ignition system. HEI upgrade , for example. I don't know if there are HEI modules with built-in adjustable rev limiters on the market, but I think you could probably buy multiple standalone rev limiters + everything needed for a top-notch HEI conversion, for less than the mystery price of the "Available in December!" (of what year?) or "Available starting 3.10.12!" (so where's the damn price?) new FBO item.

Their screwed-up website further reduces my confidence in their claims. :roll:

i read i think on cuda/challenger that all that new one is just a GM HEI module inside a machined box that looks like a mopar ecu.

i couldn't find the thread. guy bought one, had issues and don told him to go to the stor and buy the GM module. plugged right in. so basically your paying for a fancy box to put a $25 module in...lol

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

If that's the case Dan why are you so down on it? After all, God's greatest creation is the HEI ignition system, isn't it?

BTW: when are you gonna show me the oscilloscope pattern's and the settings used when comparing HEI to a Mopar ECU. Asked for it a couple yrs. back but the silence is deafening.

Yes,they make 4 pin HEI modules with rev limiters.Check Crane,MSD.

If that's the case Dan why are you so down on it?

'Cuz I think it's slimy of FBO to to repackage shelf-stock parts (HEI module available everywhere for a dime a dozen), mark 'em way up and put a shiny new price tag on 'em, and then make all kinds of BS claims about how much engineering has gone into this "new" ignition system.

After all, God's greatest creation is the HEI ignition system, isn't it?

I don't know that I'd go quite so far as to say the HEI system was Divinely inspired by god, but it is a hell of a good ignition system, easily the world's best stock electronic ignition system -- by a very large margin -- for specific, well documented reasons made clear in the links off this thread. The same characteristics make it equal or better than many of the aftermarket ignition upgrades, and it's very tough to beat HEI for cost-effectiveness, reliability, and ease of repair and parts availability.

when are you gonna show me the oscilloscope pattern's and the settings used when comparing HEI to a Mopar ECU. Asked for it a couple yrs. back but the silence is deafening.

Does yer mouse button work? I've been posting this link since 2006. The waveforms you're after are right at the top of the first post, clearly showing the much longer spark duration and higher peak voltage from HEI vs. Mopar on the same vehicle.

These oscilloscope patterns leave a lot of doubt as to how much better the HEI is compared to the stock Mopar. First the Mopar pattern is poorly superimposed and almost unreadable ( notice the parallel firing lines not shown on the others ). When the HEI plug gap is increased to .045, the firing line increases dramatically, yet the spark line is at the same voltage as the .035 gap with only about half the spark duration. This shows a lot of energy being used just to fire the plugs. A much better test would include rpm drop off, snap throttle, and four gas exhaust analysis to see if it is burning better.
The HEI system does have it's merits, but all anyone shows is a picture of an increased spark line. If you open the plug gaps of any engine made, you'll get an increased spark line and more than likely no performance gain.

These oscilloscope patterns leave a lot of doubt as to how much better the HEI is compared to the stock Mopar.

Choose what you will. They make different flavours of ice cream, too, not just my favourite.

If you open the plug gaps of any engine made, you'll get an increased spark line

Sure. Now: How do you explain away the increased spark duration from the HEI vs. the Mopar system?

'Cuz I think it's slimy of FBO to to repackage shelf-stock parts (HEI module available everywhere for a dime a dozen), mark 'em way up and put a shiny new price tag on 'em, and then make all kinds of BS claims about how much engineering has gone into this "new" ignition system.

Ok. Personally, I'd like to see more than hearsay that it is in fact a HEI module. Have you actually seen this, or have a trusted friend that has? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't a fancy packaged HEI module. It's just that after reading all the bull about this and that on the web over the yrs. I like to see proof.

I don't know that I'd go quite so far as to say the HEI system was Divinely inspired by god, but it is a hell of a good ignition system, easily the world's best stock electronic ignition system -- by a very large margin -- for specific, well documented reasons made clear in the links off this thread. The same characteristics make it equal or better than many of the aftermarket ignition upgrades, and it's very tough to beat HEI for cost-effectiveness, reliability, and ease of repair and parts availability.

As I've said before I've been a mechanic for well over 30 yrs. and did a lot of work on the 70's rides (all brands) and I replaced a whole bunch more HEI modules than Mopar modules (or Ford modules for that matter) and it wasn't just because I worked on more Chevy's. I can't see the reliability in them. Possibly aftermarket ones are better but then your not talking a stock part anymore. As for price, they are a little cheaper, but not by much. Ease of repair! You've got to be kidding!:violent1: Good thing I was young when I worked on that stuff cause laying sprawled out over the top of a engine changing a HEI module down inside the dist. with the carb stud stuck in my gullet sure wasn't easy.

Does yer mouse button work? I've been posting this link since 2006. The waveforms you're after are right at the top of the first post, clearly showing the much longer spark duration and higher peak voltage from HEI vs. Mopar on the same vehicle.

when are you gonna show me the oscilloscope pattern's and the settings (frequency and amplitude for instance) used when comparing HEI to a Mopar ECU.

Dan I emboldened the part of my question that you seem to ignore every time I ask. I saw the patterns. Give me a O'scope and I can make a lot of guys think what I want them to think just by the twist of a couple knobs. Jus sayin

I got creative after my FBO ECU failed after 6 mths - and fitted a GM 4 pin module into this.........

HurstIg1.jpg

-
Back