Fender Pentastar

-

plymouth71

The Moomobile
Reaction score
OK,I know this may sound like a stupid question but were all of the pentastars plastic?I have seen plastic stars and metal ones alike,so which ones were the proper application on a 71 a-body?I have been told that all were metal until late 1972 then they were plastic,but i can't find any imfo to verify this.Does anybody know the correct application for this,or am i wrong completely?Thanks

All the pentastar emblems i've seen are plastic (on a '70 Duster, '71 Duster, '71 Demon and '72 Demon) As far as I know they were only ever on '70 - 72 A-bodies. I've never seen one on any '73+ A-Body.

Little fun fact, most 90's Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Cars have a Pentastar emblem that looks almost identical (same size, almost the same color) on the Passenger Side Fender. I grabbed a few from some cars in the junkyards, to put on the Center Caps for my Keystone Klassic wheels.

That's my understanding too......that it changed in the '67 model year sometime but I don't know the date.

Thanks to all for the input,the star on my 71 scamp is plastic,seems to be original but I wasn't sure.Could not figure out why the star would be plastic and the hood and trunk emblems were metal(or potmetal)I don't like plastic very well but if it is oem then I will leave it on,again Thanks everybody!

My Charger had two, one under the gas tank, and one that was on the fender, both plastic. Dart has two aswell, one on each fender, will fix that. Also plastic

They never came with 2. It was always on the pass side, as when you parallel parked, it faced the sidewalk.

They never came with 2. It was always on the pass side, as when you parallel parked, it faced the sidewalk.

I know. I'm planning on knocking it off the drivers fender and welding up the hole.

I pulled a fender off a late 60s model 4 door Valiant today for my Duster. It has a plastic pentastar that is prob 3/4in across. Its on the lower third of the fender behind the wheel opening.

I pulled a fender off a late 60s model 4 door Valiant today for my Duster. It has a plastic pentastar that is prob 3/4in across. Its on the lower third of the fender behind the wheel opening.

I bought this '72 Valiant from its original owner in 1998, and asked if the car had been wrecked (asked him after I had bought it, so there was no reason for him not to tell the truth.) He said "no."

There was no pentastar on the front fender. I asked him about that, and he didn't have a clue, but said it had never had one. I looked and there are no holes (on the backside) where there should have been

Never say "never," when it comes to mother Mopar... LOL!

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 652
  • 100_3115.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 623
My '67 New Yorker has metal.
My '68 GTX has metal.
My'68 'Cuda has plastic.

All are stock.

Not sure of material but my 67 Dart GT has one on each front fender, the previous owner had it repainted and worked at a Dodge dealership, so it is highly possible he added it. Just going to leave it.

Talked to a guy today that worked for chrystler corp. and he told me that the plant used what ever was available during production,that there was no set years on the stars,I am not sure on this,but it would explain why the material of the pentastar bounced around so much,but again he could have told me wrong,just trying to understand...

One of the things I've wondered about on the plastic Pentastars is the color, I've seen gold ones and silver ones and can't figure any rhyme or reason for it. Body color? Different supplier or manufacturing process? Wear?

Original ones i've seen are gold.

In the 90's they started appearing again on the passenger side fender of dodge/plymouth cars. those ones are silver. If you've seen some originals that are silver though, I don't know then :D

I just received a repop from Mopar performance (Herbs parts) in plastic, No speed nuts. how is this usually put on?

The original ones bolted on with a speed nut. The replacements are the later plastic type and just pop into the holes.

Except for exhaust, motor mounts, and kickdown linkage, that should be a bolt-in in place of a 318.

72 was the change over model year. Some 72's have them, others don't. There shouldn't be any on 73+.

-
Back