Fender tag addition?

-

abloch

Reaction score
I went and looked at a '65 dart GT today and when I got home to decode the fender tag I noticed the paper addition stuck underneath. Anyone familiar with these?

Attachments

• IMG_20140828_100921.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 238
Nothing in my 65 Dart GT, but it had been buggered with. I am surprised paper would last so well for 49 years.

That looks like a copper/brass/tin tag to me, not paper, but odd for an early a-body car... Never seen it before

I went and looked at a '65 dart GT today and when I got home to decode the fender tag I noticed the paper addition stuck underneath. Anyone familiar with these?

Like Keith said I would think the tag is made out of thin brass. It could well be a tag they started use on 66 model but I'm not sure. However another interesting fact is that the car was assembled July 30! That is probably one of the last 65 Darts produced. If we had the first four digits or letters off the VIN we can determine which plant it was assembled at.

Like Keith said I would think the tag is made out of thin brass. It could well be a tag they started use on 66 model but I'm not sure. However another interesting fact is that the car was assembled July 30! That is probably one of the last 65 Darts produced. If we had the first four digits or letters off the VIN we can determine which plant it was assembled at.

I've never seen this nefore either.

Could it be, that it was the end of the model year, they had retooled an option for the upcoming 66 production year and it was added to this car ??

Possible something for export.

On export cars I've just seen brass tags or thin steel tags. However I bought a LA produced 65 Dart wagon back in mid 90ies and that car had a papertag! Could it be some left overs from paper documents from the assembly line?

It could be the remnant of an inspection/strip tag. They went through a series of inspections and each inspector would remove part of the tag until a small part was left. I have seen this in the newer 70's cars, but not one this early. The later cars strip tag was tin and cut off. Many of the remains were removed but some did make it through in part or whole. Here is a picture of an intact of strip tag, bad pic but you get the idea.

Attachments

• strip tag.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 83
-
Back