Fender tags?

-

74dart

Reaction score
Is it illegal to remove and/or sell fender tags? I just have a 74 SE which is a kinda rare car and I was wondering about the legality. that's all. Thank you.

Not sure if it's illegal, per se, but it's morally wrong. You can get repro fender tags made up.

This is for "fender tags" , NOT "VIN Tags"!! VIN Tags are VERY illegal to sell, remove or reproduce.

Fender tag sales are illegal in two states, MI & OK.

VIN tag sales are illegal all over.

btw , a fender tag (et al.) isn't recognised as a legal v.i.n.

Really , a fender tag's appearance is more by default than anything . Their sole purpose -- at the time of the cars' construction -- was merely for the line workers ; they were also supposed to used as drilling templates ( so I've heard ... ) .

Notice Lynch Road Plant's fender tags : vague as hell !

if vin tags are illegal than why can you rebody a car (which i think is wrong)

You can't, really. You can try and attach the VIN plate to another car (with stock appearing rivets), but it won't match the hidden VIN spots on the replacement car body.

Re-body is a kinder, gentler term for VIN swapping.

No matter what it is called, it is wrong.

can you take them off to dip them and clean them then re-paint and pop rivet back on on those that are riveted type?

You can't, really. You can try and attach the VIN plate to another car (with stock appearing rivets), but it won't match the hidden VIN spots on the replacement car body.

You don't pop the rivets, you cut out a big section that the vin plate is attached to.

And you also cut out and reapply the hidden numbers in the same manner.

Sorta like a patch panel.

I would never do it.

can you take them off to dip them and clean them then re-paint and pop rivet back on on those that are riveted type?

Nope. Its illegal to mess with a VIN tag at all! Fender tags are just screwed on, so those can be removed ,restored and reattached.

You don't pop the rivets, you cut out a big section that the vin plate is attached to.

And you also cut out and reapply the hidden numbers in the same manner.

Sorta like a patch panel.

I would never do it.

On the later A-bodies that have the VIN tag on the dash, you can just swap out the whole dash panel to another car. That way you haven't touch any part of the tag or surrounding area.

Yes, you CAN weld in all the Hidden VIN locations...again, industrial-strength illegal!!!

...not that it hasn't been done before!...(Not by me anyway!)

I am working on resoring my Dart Sport. The dash has been cut up and I have a replacement dash to swap out. How do i go about it since the VIN number is on the bad one? I dont want to do anything illigal but I do want a clean dash.

Just saw a blurb in one of the new Mopar magazines about a company that is now selling reproduction pop rivets for the Mopar VIN tags. I think it was in MCG but I'm not sure.

I purchased a pair of rivets from a vendor in MCG magazine while restoring the dash in my 69 swinger. when i got them i wasnt real happy with them and returned them for a refund. Ive seen a picture of the new ones offered in one of the other mags and they do look to be pretty nice. I would avoid removing your tag if at all possible, but if your dash is that bad you may not have a choice. i waited until i got the rivets before removing my tag, and ended up just taping it off and painting around it.

I am working on resoring my Dart Sport. The dash has been cut up and I have a replacement dash to swap out. How do i go about it since the VIN number is on the bad one? I dont want to do anything illigal but I do want a clean dash.

Now ,his is a legitimate reason for swapping a VIN tag.

You can always grind off most of the end of the rivet on the BOTTOM of the dash, leaving the top side untouched.

Push the rivets with the vin plate onto the new dash and secure the bottoms of the rivets with a little Super Glue.

All the while take pictures of everything from start to finish, including both dashes with VIN plates still attached. And keep the useless VIN and the old dash just in case anything ever comes up.

I was also told that resetting my odometer was illegal also. Is this true?

I was also told that resetting my odometer was illegal also. Is this true?

well, think of it this way,. would you want to buy a car that the odometer was rolled back? i know i would not like it, and yes, it is so illegal in all states

resetting the odometer is not illegal if the title reflects that the odometer is not actual mileage and some states are set up so cars over a certain age are automatically marked as not reflecting actual mileage.

Well I want to do it because I recently rebuilt an engine and would like to reset my odometer so it reflects the mileage on the engine.

Actually it is not illegal to remove fender tags by the owner, just like it is not illegal to remove the tags on your pillows. It is however illegal for anyone else to remove these tags if you are not the owner or do not have the owners permission. It is illegal to remover the fender tags and sell them but at the same time, there are numbers on these tags which match numbers stamped on some body parts which must match, otherwise it will be looked at like a stolen vehicle by the authorities as well as the motor vehicle bureau. When a rotisserie restoration or full body paint is done, all the tags are removed and replaced upon completion of the restoration. Selling your fender tags just opens a can of worms because those tags are trim numbers, paint, options and partially vin numbers.

-
Back