Fiat + Chrysler

-
I like Mopars. But they are not the only Auto Maker out there.

100_0979.jpg

Like 360scamp said :-DCheaper than a new car, better gas mileage than my neighbors new pt cruiser , easier and cheaper to fix than a new car and more fun to drive:cheers:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20002.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20012.jpg

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. 206 000+ TROUBLE FREE km's

1983 Plymouth Caravelle. Still runs ,drives and zero rust and it's an ex cop car

1970 Dodge Dart Swinger,resto project.

1992 G.M.C 1/2 ton 4x4 x cab. Hunting truck/hauler. Would have bought a Dodge but couldn't find anything.

I really think Mopar quality has come a long way since the 60's-70's. They make a simple,solid and trouble free product. My mini van even manages 31- 34 mpg hwy with a 3.8 litre V6. I don't understand why they are in trouble.

Labour costs and management corruption would be the main contributors I think.

At least they will have a financial backer who understands what it is to be in financial trouble. I think Fiat was for a while too. Could be wrong...

i dont drive anything new anyways so i dont worry what company buys who the cars will neve be like they used to be anyways ,back then if a dart was coming down the road you knew it was a chrysler product ,now days you cant tell the difference between a honda ,chryslr or chevy or ford

Did you used to hang out in Mill Creek in the 70's? I would swear I've seen that red fiat with a 4-speed on the column.
Hey, easy there. I have fond memories of Renaults. I`ve owned 2, a 65 R8 and a 67 R10. They were the neetest, so ugly they were cute, biggest POS to roam the planet:cheers:The funniest part was watching a station attendant walk around the car at least twice to find the gas cap:-D in the engine compartment. I hated to get rid of the 65, but decided to let her go when I went to jack it up and watch the interior rise, and the car not! ha. Best part,, 52 MPG!!!!!

Fiat- no frenchie there
Whatever it takes to keep ol chrysler alive and well. As long as engineering and design stays in the states. Lately they`ve been putting out some cool looking cars, they just need to get their prices down. I`m guilty of owning mopars only as toys. When I decided to upgrade my (let me rest) 68 f350, I priced the new chassie cab dodges, 30 K . priced Ford, not much better. bought GMC 3500 B block loaded, orderd to my spec. + aluminum stake body bed, head+tail board. 24 K.. No big issues Yet. My brother bought a new Quad cab Cummins dually 1 ton and soon after had the rear end replaced. otherwise than that he loves it. He always busts my chops about my Mopar, "he`s a pontiac nut", And I have to remind him of his 69 firechicken, still sits, after starting restoration, "early 90`s" and I`ve been driving my cuda since 97. And also remind him "Whats that big silver thing in your drive" LOL That shuts him up! LOL. Below was my 65 R8, 53 f100, and what my dad crused around in when I was still a twinkel in moms eye!!

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little......

Perhaps, but remember that Chrysler has a long standing relationship with Italian cars. Designs came from PininFarina as built by Ghia, they owned Lamborghini for a bit, and Maserati helped design the TC (now LeBaron Coupe) and the 16 valve 2.2 Turbo 4.

Not to let the relationship die, Fiat, also owner of Ferrari, is now a partner.

Personally, I think its one of the best ways to assure that Chrysler will not become a GM division. Time will tell.

Fiat is building some cool little cars, and have been winning in rallying all over europe. Now we all know that Chrysler has strugled to produce a good small car in the last couple of years. So it only makes sences to make a deal with some one that can either do that for them or help them do that. We all know that Chrysler has hit the mark with it's full size, minni van, & pickup vehicals, but everyone is starting to look at the small car. They did this same thing in the late 80's early 90's with Mitsubishi, and it worked out well for both companys.

As for driving Mopar only well I have to admit that other than the Valiant we drive a 2002 Mazda, and a 2008 Ford Ranger. The Mazda Traci bought as a grad present to her self after University, and well it fit the budget and has been a great little car. We were just dating at the time though she did want a Liberty but they cost way to much. Now a for the Ford well when I bought it in the spring it was the only truck out there that was 0% financing. We could only aford $400 a month payments, well ford was willing to deal and thats the truck I bought. I would have loved a Dodge truck but at that time they were not willing to deal.

You brand loyal guys make me laugh:toothy10::toothy10:..i bet your whole family drives a mopar,all your t-shirts are mopar,and you've got mopar underwear on...

You can laugh all ya want.....drive what ya want.....I go commando....if you lose your job and get hungry, you can always eat your imports:bootysha:
You forgot to mention my Mopar tattoos.:thebirdm:

3-3.jpg

If these cars get such "crappy gas mileage" and are so "unreliable", how do the nay-sayers explain all of us Americans who drive quality built Chrysler products daily and get good gas mileage? My Concorde LXi get's over 30 on the highway and averages 27 with 225 HP and 250 pounds of torque.....my Neon does slightly better with 132 HP. I am approaching 60,000 miles with the Neon...no problems, ever. I am coming up on 130,000 miles with the Concorde and, again, no issues. Stop believing a bunch of BS! Toyota was last years sales leader....and recall leader! You didn't hear that from the talking head mainstream media did ya?:cheers:

As far as Fiat goes, it's not quite a done deal yet. Chrysler needs to get the loans from the government to make it happen.
I welcome Fiat. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123245224622497573.html

For the record books....a slant six powered Dart still holds the record for best fuel mileage in a 6 cylinder powered vehicle at 36 mpg. It could be argued that it did so while being one of the most reliable cars ever built.

I currently have nine Mopars from 1968 to 2009. I also have one non-op 81 FORD F100 straight six 4 speed that I haven't had time to get running and it isn't worth it anyway. I'd rather drive what I like and so far it's been Dodge and Plymouth. I've even looked and compared but I'm probably stuck with the same biased opinion as the people who drive jap.
I wonder how long it will be after the American car companies are gone before the chinese take over the market here in the states feeding us nothing but poor, cheap cars with no competition.

If these cars get such "crappy gas mileage" and are so "unreliable", how do the nay-sayers explain all of us Americans who drive quality built Chrysler products daily and get good gas mileage? .....my Neon does slightly better with 132 HP. I am approaching 60,000 miles with the Neon...no problems, ever. I am coming up on 130,000 miles with the Concorde and, again, no issues. Stop believing a bunch of BS!....

Then again, our other mopar is an '01 Neon with 115,000 miles that stuggles to get 24mpg and feels/sounds like it could go any day. It also leaks from every seal possible.... trunk leaks, both rear doors leak so bad it's already rotted the rear carpet.

I'd buy another new mopar but it wouldn't be such a no-brainer after having this Neon. I'm fine with the Fiat deal, as long as it keeps mopar going, can't loose the Challenger and Charger again before they get rolling.

here is my 2 cents! lets go back to the 80's for a moment /amf owns harley davidson they build the biggest pieces of **** to ever hit the road ,they built bowling balls for Christ sake. some people credit amf with saving hd i say bull crap/a couple of things happened ronald reagan imposed a high tariff on anything over 750cc. people still bought jap bikes i'm not knocking em that's what i had back in the day. he also gave hd big gov loans and most importantly THE EMPLOYEES BOUGHT BACK THE COMPANY! they took pride in what they were building and laid it on the line/ they purchased the best equipment money could buy to manufacture their product and it wasn't long that they could not produce motorcycles fast enough people had to get on a waiting list just to purchase one/ now for me i own a 2007 fatboy a 2007 Chrysler town and country and a 2008 dodge 2500 i bought the t&c because of the lifetime warranty and the 2500 because i wanted the best truck made. so you could say i have a stake in what they build i believe in their product enough to invest my hard earned money! what i say is the employees step up and buy the company ,kick out the fatcats that suck them dry/concentrate on quality and don't build what people don't want or need .in short build the best product they can /now that they are owners it changes everything, lots of hard work and sacrifice but it is their jobs and their future they are working for and if they can do that i will continue to invest my money it what they build!

You can laugh all ya want.....drive what ya want.....I go commando....if you lose your job and get hungry, you can always eat your imports:bootysha:
You forgot to mention my Mopar tattoos.:thebirdm:

3-3.jpg

If these cars get such "crappy gas mileage" and are so "unreliable", how do the nay-sayers explain all of us Americans who drive quality built Chrysler products daily and get good gas mileage? My Concorde LXi get's over 30 on the highway and averages 27 with 225 HP and 250 pounds of torque.....my Neon does slightly better with 132 HP. I am approaching 60,000 miles with the Neon...no problems, ever. I am coming up on 130,000 miles with the Concorde and, again, no issues. Stop believing a bunch of BS! Toyota was last years sales leader....and recall leader! You didn't hear that from the talking head mainstream media did ya?:cheers:

As far as Fiat goes, it's not quite a done deal yet. Chrysler needs to get the loans from the government to make it happen.
I welcome Fiat. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123245224622497573.html

For the record books....a slant six powered Dart still holds the record for best fuel mileage in a 6 cylinder powered vehicle at 36 mpg. It could be argued that it did so while being one of the most reliable cars ever built.

Got a news flash for ya' every vehicle i own is made in America by an American based company..i would NEVER own any foreign makers vehicle...just another reason i don't own any newer Mopars up till 2 years ago they were German owned and now the Italians..sounds half import to me better start eating yours...by the way that neon is nothing more then American "rice"..

I for one see this as the beginning of a revolution in domestic cars. Sooner or later the American public (no matter how stupid and ignorant they may be) will realize that domestic manufacturers make good cars, and Jap cars aren't that much better. Chrysler will come out with some hot well-designed small cars, refine the LX/LC cars, the new EV electric vehicles (which I think are pretty damn cool), and if anyone has been following Allpar.com, the next-gen "Phoenix" V-6 engines. Not to mention the new Ram trucks have been getting amazing reviews and the automotive press loves them. Chrysler definitely has some tricks up its sleeve, and IMO its time has come (yet again).

Got a news flash for ya' every vehicle i own is made in America by an American based company..i would NEVER own any foreign makers vehicle...just another reason i don't own any newer Mopars up till 2 years ago they were German owned and now the Italians..sounds half import to me better start eating yours...by the way that neon is nothing more then American "rice"..

35% is not owning the company, it's not even a controlling interest. It would allow both companies to benefit from shared platforms and tech.
They were owned by a German company, obviously, but the friction in upper management was too much.
The Neon is "American rice"? Right!!! LOL Me>>
bugerpicker.gif
<<you LOL
It's funny you mention rice, since we eat more rice in America than Japan does. That was not a "pun" statement, I'm talking actual rice. LOL
As far as eating your import goes, I never said imported car.....:read2:

Then again, our other mopar is an '01 Neon with 115,000 miles that stuggles to get 24mpg and feels/sounds like it could go any day. It also leaks from every seal possible.... trunk leaks, both rear doors leak so bad it's already rotted the rear carpet.

I'd buy another new mopar but it wouldn't be such a no-brainer after having this Neon. I'm fine with the Fiat deal, as long as it keeps mopar going, can't loose the Challenger and Charger again before they get rolling.

The Neon you have is a early second generation Neon. Sorry you are having trouble with it. Mine is an 04 and has been flawless. If I have to come up with a gripe....I live in Florida and the rubber window mouldings at the bottom of the side windows take a beating from the sun.
crrying.gif

I for one see this as the beginning of a revolution in domestic cars. Sooner or later the American public (no matter how stupid and ignorant they may be) will realize that domestic manufacturers make good cars, and Jap cars aren't that much better.

but they are better according to you. correct?

Chrysler will come out with some hot well-designed small cars,

been waiting for that from the big three for years now. when will it ever get here. i'm talking 40+ mpg, reliable as hell. you know only needs its scheduled maintenance and oil changes for the most part and one that sells for about $15k +/- . if they ever build one i'll seriously consider it. until then i have no choice but to stick with my lil toyota econo box for going back and forth to work.

and one more thing . you would have to be nuts buying a new car from the big three. holy crap do they lose a ton of value and fast. your so much better off buying a car from the big three used. so much better value in that.

If these cars get such "crappy gas mileage" and are so "unreliable", how do the nay-sayers explain all of us Americans who drive quality built Chrysler products daily and get good gas mileage?

define good gas mileage. my lil toyota gets an honest 40 mpg in the summer months weather i'm running the a/c or have the windows open. the winter time gas drops the mileage to somewhere near 35-37mpg. to me thats good mileage but think in 2009 just about all cars shoudl do atleast that. the smaller ones should be getting more.

Agreed. The Asian manufacturers whopped *** in the 1980's, but the American manufacturers caught up through 1990's. By now most cars, no matter who makes it, are about equally dependable (with exceptions, of course.) The problem is that most North American people still view the Asian car as superior even though it is not.

you have to realize that back when the asian cars were kicking *** as you state the american cars were junk for many years. those people that bought jap cars and were very happy with the mileage and reliability of them went and bought another jap car and handed the first one down to their kids or relitives so now there is another generation in that family that likes the jap car. then it repets itself over and over again. there are people out there that have owned nothing but jap cars for that very reason. the big three was arrogant back then and are now getting what they brough on themselves. it takes a long long time to build a good reputation but you can lose a good reputation overnight.

:toothy10:
DSC00972.jpg

DSC04604.jpg

Cheaper than a new car, better gas mileage than my neighbors new BMW, easier and cheaper to fix than a new car and more fun to drive :toothy10:

And hell yes to that!!
I have been looking for another 64 Valiant "3 on the tree" 170 for years.
my "first car" d/d...

at 180k had to pull the manifolds and reseal the "hot spot".
at 190k got tail ended, bent the L/R frame horn, my pops sold it
for a Ben more than he paid .

I've said this before;
Back in the '50s and '60s the English built an awesome car. Then the labor unions stepped in and the builders got lazy. Which is why they have had Crap since then.
My daily is an '81 FORD Courier. It was free, had 220,000mi and has only had a MR Gasket fuelpump failure in the 70,000mi I've owned it. And THAT'S been 2 years. And no, it has the Mazda built 2.0 in it, not the pinto 2.3. My other is the same '71 Plymouth Cricket I've had since I was 5. it's ENGLISH.
I've owned 12 Yugos (fiat 128) I have no problem with Fiat. I've also owned around 400 cars since I was 15. I am 33 now.
We are going in the same direction as the English did. My wifes '04 Neon sucks. It gets 24mpg, the headlights are starting to crack (its always been garaged) the check engine light is on and they can't find the problem, it only has 45,000mi on it. I can't fit into the driver's "area".
I started life as a chevy man, my dad is a chevy man, my grandpa's a chevy man, my uncle.... I had a '68 Chevelle that left me stranded one too many times.....I've had the best luck with fords, but I love mopar the most.
I don't have brand loyalty, I go with what holds up. I manage a parts store, we don't sell a lot of Duramax parts....YET. we sell a lot of 6.0 (and the new one) powerstroke stuff, quite a bit of cummins stuff. Most of what we sell is for late '90s, early '00s gm mid sized crap.

but they are better according to you. correct? been waiting for that from the big three for years now. when will it ever get here. i'm talking 40+ mpg, reliable as hell. you know only needs its scheduled maintenance and oil changes for the most part and one that sells for about $15k +/- . if they ever build one i'll seriously consider it. until then i have no choice but to stick with my lil toyota econo box for going back and forth to work.

and one more thing . you would have to be nuts buying a new car from the big three. holy crap do they lose a ton of value and fast. your so much better off buying a car from the big three used. so much better value in that.

The only ones I'd consider to be "better" are the small cars that they've been building since the '70's (and before). Their newer trucks, SUV's, etc. (except for maybe the Land Cruiser) and even some of their cars are lower quality than their American counterparts. The biggest difference is in the dealerships and service quality; the "import" brands are less prone to swindle every last penny out of you and will usually get the work done quicker and with better results.

I'm saying that with Fiat now on board, Chrysler will have quick access to good small-car technology and platforms and have the ability to come out with a great small car in little time. And judging by what they've been doing so far, I think that will happen.

Kind of a tangent, but I find it funny how a Viper will get over 20 MPG on the highway, while a Lamborghini or Ferrari can't even muster 15. And the Viper V-10 is at least 1.5x the size.

-
Back