Fiberglass hoods, are they safe?

-

Valveguy

Reaction score
I'm "thinking" of using a fibergass part or two for my restoration (74 Duster). My old deck lid has problems so I think it might be ok to use a fiberglass deck lid but if I were to get a fiberglass hood, how exactly will this effect safety? Fiberlass bumpers too, what do you guys know about this stuff?

I'm "thinking" of using a fibergass part or two for my restoration (74 Duster). My old deck lid has problems so I think it might be ok to use a fiberglass deck lid but if I were to get a fiberglass hood, how exactly will this effect safety? Fiberlass bumpers too, what do you guys know about this stuff?

hood should be safe bumpers not so much.

I agree. Hoods and decklids will be fine. But bumpers ?? On our drag cars we run hoods, fenders, doors, trunk lids and bumpers... But we also have a full roll cage around us and we don't run but 1/4 mile at a time... 8)

Just some stuff on a fiberglass hood being used on the street...... when I drove my car I had to wait a few minutes for my fiberglass hood to cool off ... it expanded when I drove it and the back of the hood would rub the cowl area unless it cooled off a few minutes ..... easier to let it cool off than use touch up .... how are you going to attach it ? ..... hood pins front and rear ? ......... hood pins front only ? ...... they do offer a latch system so you don't have to use pins but I wasn't comfortable buying into that ..... I would think using your car normally puts a lot of stress on a latch attached to fiberglass .... wind, especially on a freeway is pretty powerful .... if it's going to operate like a normal front opening hood make sure you buy and install the special weaker springs for a fiberglass hood ... if the place you buy the hood from doesn't have weaker hood springs buy your hood from someone else that does .... be ready to experience the absolute joy of replacing your old hood springs with the new ones (hopefully without scratching your car too) ... it can be done and you WILL use your full vocabulary .... just have a couple of long pry bars ... not something to do reinforced with adult beverages either ! ..... if you decide to have a front opening hood you need to make sure your hood comes with reinforced areas where you attach it to the hood hinges .... finally what are you now going to use to prop up your new fiberglass hood ? ... your new weak springs will NOT hold it up .... the company I bought my hood from had rods I could buy ... they folded across the radiator core support when not in use and I used the hole for the hood pins as the location to attach them to the hood when open ..... I liked my hood ..... just wanted to let you know what to look for and expect.... have at it .... no thoughts on the bumpers ... obviously not the best in a collision but nobody is looking for that to happen when we drive our cars

hyperpackdart

Wow, this is so much more than I was thinking about. Thanks for taking the time to share this with me. YOU HAVE PROBABLY SAVED ME A LOT OF TROUBLE!!! A million thanks to you!
Tom

Considering Corvettes have come with fiberglass hoods for 56 years can't see where there would be any inherent issues. As hyperpackdart it's not just simply a bolt on, there are other considerations.

Just make sure you get one intended for street use that has the appropriate reinforcements in the hing and latch areas.

Glass hood are fine, Just use a bolt on hood, Not a pin on race piece.

Should be fine to run on the street. 69 six pack Super Bees had glass hoods stock from the factory. Glass bumpers are another story but people still run them on there street cars any way.

iv had glass hood bumpers deck lids and doors on 3difernt cars on the street and never had any trouble as far as the parts go the md.state troper didnt think to much of the doors on a duster i had or mabe it was the lexan i had in it for glass.

-
Back