Figured id share my garbage..

-
Well, progress has been slim to say the least since the Fling. Been trying to not be stupid and sort out my lack of MAP reading, the one fuel line I didnt do in PTFE (I misplaced a fitting the day before the show) and @TT5.9mag came to the rescue with a non ptfe fitting i needed so I could make it. Well, I slacked on changing out the hose due to constantly listening to the fender exit and lost fuel pressure last weekend. Assuming the rubber hose degraded and plugged the filter. Least I hope so. Gonna make a ptfe line tomorrow and pull the filter this weekend.

Still no fans on it, trans cooler still bungee corded behind the grill. Got a ways to go still and im slowly picking away.

20220423_135414.jpg

Hay, what the hell. It's runnin and drivin, right?

Hay, what the hell. It's runnin and drivin, right?

It was. Fuel pressure dropped from 6psi to 4.5, then the following weekend down to 3psi. Made zero changes so I assume the filter is just plugged up. I didnt even put a timing light on it or graph a timing curve. Ripped it a little on the street, put it on the trailer and took it to the show.

https://youtube.com/shorts/axua-ZsrRvM?feature=share

It was. Fuel pressure dropped from 6psi to 4.5, then the following weekend down to 3psi. Made zero changes so I assume the filter is just plugged up. I didnt even put a timing light on it or graph a timing curve. Ripped it a little on the street, put it on the trailer and took it to the show.

https://youtube.com/shorts/axua-ZsrRvM?feature=share

Sounds good my friend. Its always a slow process but you'll get it done. I'm gonna have to come down one fling and get all the classic mopars with turbos next to each other. Have our own section lol the fling was always fun to go too.

Ran it up and down the road a few times. Still no fans or tune. Life keeps getting in the way.

It doesn't run the greatest, comes into boost fairly quickly and seems to pull alright considering what it is and the lack of tune. Hopefully in the next few months it'll be ironed out.

20220702_174855.jpg

Well, it sat for a few weeks. Helped the inlaws move, doing stuff around the house and all the general life stuff. Figured id light the car off. Something told me to kick the pump on and check for leaks first. Sure heard fuel gushing. Needle and seat hung up, out the vent tubes and straight down the charge pipe into the turbo. Got the fuel out if the turbo, new .130 needles and seats at all 4 corners, gonna pop the plugs out and bar it over then change the oil in it.

With how much has gotten in the way this thing better fly *** or run the crank over.

20220826_224939.jpg

Unreal. At least you have vent tube extensions and all that fuel didn’t end up in the engine, then you crank it over and hydraulic it.

Well, it sat for a few weeks. Helped the inlaws move, doing stuff around the house and all the general life stuff. Figured id light the car off. Something told me to kick the pump on and check for leaks first. Sure heard fuel gushing. Needle and seat hung up, out the vent tubes and straight down the charge pipe into the turbo. Got the fuel out if the turbo, new .130 needles and seats at all 4 corners, gonna pop the plugs out and bar it over then change the oil in it.

With how much has gotten in the way this thing better fly *** or run the crank over.

View attachment 1715977412

don’t forget to remove the cover for the inlet on the turbo. I don’t run a filter on my turbo and use the cover when I park my car and have forgotten it more then I can count.

don’t forget to remove the cover for the inlet on the turbo. I don’t run a filter on my turbo and use the cover when I park my car and have forgotten it more then I can count.

Oh trust me I have forgotten it a time or two already. Definitely no room for a filter on mine so I pop the cover on it once things cool down a little after running it.

Quick little update. Currently able to work on the car about 10 minutes at a time before my back gives me issues. Car started running poorly one day. Chasing my tail trying to sort it out. Got the double whammy on it. Stretched chain/jumped timing and the cam bolt came loose. Cam is torn up a bit and the timing set, otherwise I think it’ll be ok.

DD95914E-975F-4776-B717-037CDDC92A32.jpeg

C8B7F816-7BF8-4E70-A950-75DCA6C98B35.jpeg

Sorry to hear my friend, I feel you on issues. Glad you found the source. Bummer its a costly one. You'll get it fixed but take care of your back more.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to tell from the pic but did it waller out the hole for the dowel pin in the cam?

May explain why your fuel pressure was dropping if your running mechanical pump ?

It’s not a mechanical pump. The plug in the block is stripped so I just left the fuel pump push rod in the motor.
Kinda hard to tell from the pic but did it waller out the hole for the dowel pin in the cam?

Yeah it did a bit. With the dowel bottomed out in the cam it doesn’t move. Assuming it slipped out some before it started opening the hole up.

I should put a new cam in it, but I’m not going to. The dowel is definitely getting JB welded into the cam and we’re just gonna party with it.

Have a welder friend that can weld it? I’d trust that more than epoxy.

Super cool build. Love the exhaust pipe coming out of the front fender! Hope you get it all sorted out soon.

Considered it, considered doing the right thing and putting my other cam in it. Just frustrated with it so I’ll take some time away and decide.
Please don’t run this camshaft again without a more permanent fix.
The pin and hole got abused after the single bolt came loose. The pin arrangement is not intended to carry that load. I always red lock tight these bolts during final assembly and torque.

A friend just finished rebuilding his Chevy after a timing chain failure. Looking at his, the cam bolts never loosened but the pin slid out and got caught in between the timing chain and crank gear, judging by the witness marks. Broke the chain and bent a bunch of valves and pushrods. Same thing happens on 5.9 Cummins Diesel engines.
Edited to fix spelling. Valves, not bales. Sorry.

Last edited:
Figured I might as well update this. Been working 6 days a week so not much time to play with either car. Started wrapping the hot side, boost controller is installed (purposely put it far from reach inside the car) took the 6psi spring out of the waste gate and put 12psi springs in it. Ordered 3 sets of plugs and the local dyno shop agreed to open up on a Sunday for me. Just waiting for cooler weather and finally going to stop procrastinating on this thing and strap it on the rollers.

79C077AA-B983-4B48-B200-839A9112DA08.jpeg

AF262CDA-4C29-4B6B-B55A-6BA283DC0275.jpeg

053FADB6-9CE3-4EAE-90B7-77748372D2B7.jpeg

-
Back