Finally drivable after 9 years... help me decide what comes next

-

demon322

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It's been a loooong time coming, but she finally moves under her own power. I can't drive very far because the 4 mismatched tires that I rounded up to be able to move it are in very bad shape. So, I need new tires obviously, but I also need to replace the rear axles since currently it has BBP in the front and SBP in the rear. So, my options as I see them - Run mismatched wheels and try to find some cheap used tires for the time being. Go ahead and swap the axles out, and get some good tires to run with the new wheels I will buy. When I do buy new wheels, I was thinking of going 15s instead of 14s. Thoughts about that? I will be running rallye wheels. I have replaced the front drums with a later a body disc setup. Thoughts? Oh, its great to be back! :thumleft:

Attachments

• demcraig.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 604
Dr. Diff on the axles. Put new tires and wheels on it, 9 years in getting it running is alot of time and money vs using old junk tires and wrecking the car.
Run factory 15 X 7 with 4.25" back space.
Aftermarket reproduction ones only have 4" back space.
This will allow you to put a 275/60/15 on the rear and a 215/65/15 on the front with no rub issues if your suspension is in good shape.

Is that a sizzler?
Looks solid go with 15" because 14" tires are about obsolete.
Good luck

Thanks!

It is a sizzler and very solid. I know itwill upset some but I am going with the dual scoop hood instead. It must havehad a strange history because someone painted the car whatever color this isand added the non-factory stripe. It was originally B7 blue. I plan to paint itthat or maybe B5.

I was thinking the same as you on the 14”vs 15” wheels. I found some online fairly reasonable and could run 15x7 on thefront and 15x8 on the rear. The 15x7 has a 4.25” back space and the 15x8 is 4.5”back space.

I would really look at 15 x 7 for the rear.
15 x 8 are real close to the 1/4 panel.

What engine in the old gal?
Also how does it drive?

I have 15x8 on the back of my stock Demon with 255/60/15 tires. Not even close to rubbing. Fronts are 15x6.

It has a 360 right now. Was a /6 originally. Hopefully a 340 someday...

How does it drive? I'm just thrilled it moves for now ha. Seriously though I've only had it on very short trips so far. The mismatched tires/wheels make her bounce even at low speeds. At least I hope that's all it is.

Thanks for the info Brad. I would like a wide tire on the rear but don't want to have rubbing issues. I'll keep that in mind.

Wait!
Why not put a b-body rear end complete ('68 to '70) in it like i did?
It only requires that you move the spring perches in 1'' on each side and you have the bbp standard.
You can save a lot of bucks this way, and use the extra money to buy wheels, gears, etc.
I use factory 15 by 6 1/2 wheels with 255 60 15s and they fit great.
With some more inside offset i could use 15 by 8 wheels and 275 60 15s easily.
I also have super stock springs (002 and 003) and my inner wheel lips rolled in.
Check out my build thread for more details........
I too have a '71 Demon Sizzler that i plan to get to in the next year or so as my next major project.
I say go with the dual snorkle hood, they look great with them!
Love these cars......

Congrats- and cool car !

SIZZLER! It's fun to say, almost as cool as TWISTER! ;)

Congrats! Now get to work finishing her up! Lol I wish you lived close by... Your 9 years of dedication are so inspiring I would give you my extra set of cop car rims, jet to help keep the momentum going! Best of luck, keep us posted.

Wait!
Why not put a b-body rear end complete ('68 to '70) in it like i did?
It only requires that you move the spring perches in 1'' on each side and you have the bbp standard.
You can save a lot of bucks this way, and use the extra money to buy wheels, gears, etc.
I use factory 15 by 6 1/2 wheels with 255 60 15s and they fit great.
With some more inside offset i could use 15 by 8 wheels and 275 60 15s easily.
I also have super stock springs (002 and 003) and my inner wheel lips rolled in.
Check out my build thread for more details........
I too have a '71 Demon Sizzler that i plan to get to in the next year or so as my next major project.
I say go with the dual snorkle hood, they look great with them!
Love these cars......

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned that I alread have a 8 3/4 rear end out of a 70 duster under the car. Figured I'd just get some BBP axles and brakes and go from there.

I did check out your build thread. Looks great! Soon I would like to add new springs as well as the rear sits way too low for my liking. Thanks for the reply!

Congrats! Now get to work finishing her up! Lol I wish you lived close by... Your 9 years of dedication are so inspiring I would give you my extra set of cop car rims, jet to help keep the momentum going! Best of luck, keep us posted.

Thanks guys. Dusterdan, I should mention that while it was 9 years there were a few long stretches of idle time as life happened. I'm very excited though to be at this point now and look forward to getting to work on it again, even though it will be a slow process. Especially with my first born due in early December!

Some progress. Dr Diff axles. ESPO +1 springs. New BFG rubber. Chrome rallyes. Factory scoops. Blitz black (temporary) paint. I love this car.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 245
i'd do the axles and put new wheels and tires on it and have that part done..

for wheels i'd call http://www.wheelvintiques.com/ and pay the extra $25 each for the custom backspace.. can easily go 4 1/2 backspace and most likely 4 3/4" backspace. that 4 and 4 1/4" backspace just sucks.

here is our dart with a 15" wheel and a 4 1/2" backspace with 225/60-15 all the way around... still a lot of room there.. if i did it again i'd go 4 3/4" backspace all the way around..

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

Sweet Demon dude! Nice work--looks great in that picture above.

Thanks! It looks great from about this distance but the closer you get you can see the runs from my rattle can spray job. I'm fine with that though as I know its only temporary and it looks a ton better to me for now than that non factory fading and chipping paint that was on it when I bought it.

i'd do the axles and put new wheels and tires on it and have that part done..

for wheels i'd call http://www.wheelvintiques.com/ and pay the extra $25 each for the custom backspace.. can easily go 4 1/2 backspace and most likely 4 3/4" backspace. that 4 and 4 1/4" backspace just sucks.

here is our dart with a 15" wheel and a 4 1/2" backspace with 225/60-15 all the way around... still a lot of room there.. if i did it again i'd go 4 3/4" backspace all the way around..

Nice dart! The axles are in and the wheels are wheel vintiques that I bought through Jegs. I didn't know about the custom backspace option at the time. Fronts are 15x7 with a 4.25 backspace and the rears are 15x8 with 4.5 backspace.

Nice dart! The axles are in and the wheels are wheel vintiques that I bought through Jegs. I didn't know about the custom backspace option at the time. Fronts are 15x7 with a 4.25 backspace and the rears are 15x8 with 4.5 backspace.

thats a shame. that 15x7 with only 4.25 back sticks out too for me. hopefully you don't have any fender interference. cool car though.

didn't realize ya bumped up a thread that was a 8 months old..:) should have left it the blueish color with all the pitina. thats the in thing now and looked better then that primer black..

-
Back