Finally getting an early A-Body

-
hey when your floors where done, and you started underneath, did you guys just paint your car under there or undercoat? After frame connectors, and torque boxes I am thinking about just painting everything under there plain black enamel. What do you guys think?

I got the tranny hump patched in , with a little work on the floor, it is going to work. I also got my new pedals in ( Thanks to Vern/65cudaXVHT) so it is time to roll her over on her side and get the bottom chasis qork done. I am going to try to come up with a way to roll her over. I need to get the steel for the frame connectors and the torque boxes too. Off to the drawing board.

001.jpg

Looking good Tony!Everythings coming together for ya.I would just paint everything except where you,ll be installing connectors and t.boxes,then paint them also.My 2 cents.Keep up the good work!

Thanks Petty, I am pretty fired up about getting back into the olfatfish! I thinking your right about just painting the bottom semi gloss black.

Getting ready to bring girl home so I can get more done, I am ready to install frame connectors and torgue boxes before painting. What size and how thick of tubing did you guys use on yours?

003.jpg

Getting ready to bring girl home so I can get more done, I am ready to install frame connectors and torgue boxes before painting. What size and how thick of tubing did you guys use on yours?
For frame connectors I used 2" x 3" x 0.125wall, it fits right over the ends of the rear frame.

Thanks Tin Cup, I will go look for some of that today. I just need to put them in and my torque boxes and I can start painting.

I almost screwed up Pettyblu, I sanded a bunch on my car and then tarped it up. Now there is this wierd surface rust in places like the tarp rotted to the car. I am now sanding it and spraying rust inhibative paint on her untill I can get to body work again. Is that going to be enough to stop the rust? What am I going to cover it with? Now I am worried.

014.jpg

016.jpg

well, I managed to get the back half sanded and painted. The rust sanded off with very little effort thank god. I hope that I will be able to hold the rust that formed untill I can work it properly and get ready to paint her.
Right now I just want to get the bottom painted and frame stifferners and torque boxes in. Then I can get it back together, at least a rolling chassis, then I will send the body to the painter. I think the car is going to look good black.

painting to cover rust and save.jpg

I have the front end covered now, on to the roof. I am still concerned about the rust. Underneath I am going to primer it and treat it before painting it.
I want to rebuild my rear springs like Small Block did his, not sure where he got the kit and kept forgeting to ask. Anybody know?

front end covered.jpg

If u leave the tarp sitting on the car the water will bleed through and rust the metal. U might try hanging the tarp in the air slightly above the car so the water does not condensate through the tarp.
:read2:

I am going to do that then crvtec90, I wonder if some wood slats will hurt the body?
Thanks pettyblu, feels good too.

I can't get pics uploaded on my computer... it is too old. Gotta get a new one. It is a 20x12x8 portable carport... almost too tall, but that can be fixed with a saw. Look up portable carports online. They have a tarp spread out over the rails.
Also, I tried to send you pics of my 65 Dodge Dart GT vert to your email, but it didn't go thru. You could purchase it with the carport. :) I am looking for a good 65 Barracuda to replace it, first. I will be away for two weeks. Talk soon.

Looking good Tony this was a good investment for 2 hundred dolors
I wish I could send you one, It all snaps together
It is holding up real good and it keeps it nice and dry
That barracuda is looking good bud :cheers: and it is the same size as Victoria :happy10:

let%20it%20rain%20014.jpg

let%20it%20rain%20022.jpg

let%20it%20rain%20019.jpg

I got the tranny hump patched in , with a little work on the floor, it is going to work. I also got my new pedals in ( Thanks to Vern/65cudaXVHT) so it is time to roll her over on her side and get the bottom chasis qork done. I am going to try to come up with a way to roll her over. I need to get the steel for the frame connectors and the torque boxes too. Off to the drawing board.

You say you patched the hump in? i'm using the same hump in my 64 Dart. It looks like you haven't cut the floor for the tranny/shifter as of yet.

The car came intact without a hump in the floor. It was just cut out to fit the tranny, tacked a piece of tin roof over it and put the stock carpet back in. I am putting the hump in and taking that old tin out making it right. In other words finishing the conversion properly including nice oem pedal assem.

front floors bad.jpg

This is the latest shot of the hump and what everything is looking like now. You can see the hump isn't complete but alot better than when I got it. I am not going to put it in permantly untill the tranny is in there.

Hump & pedals.jpg

I started working on the rear springs so I can get this girl back on her feet! I am looking at the springs and theyare not looking like something I can fix, they are pretty rough. Any idea on rebuilding or sould you just replace?

oem rear springs.jpg

oem rear springs #2.jpg

Unless you have access to a sandblaster and can get them blasted cheap, I'd consider replacing them. They don't look all that bad to me, and if they were blasted they would probably be useable as is. Of course, with your monster powerplant and 4 speed, maybe replacing them ain't a bad idea. Eaton Detriot Spring has a good deal on springs, and of course tha Mopar performance Super Stock springs are always a good idea. Remember that the early A's have a 1 inch shorter spring than the later A bodies do, so mention that you have an early A body when ordering. Tunnel looks good, Geof

Hey Tony,glad to see your keeping at er!Up here winters coming,so time to put away or cover up.The weather is coming(real cold chit)Hope you have more time to get things done.Always looking forward to your progress!Keep up the good work!

there may be a local spring shop in your area, and if so they may have leaf springs on the shelf,, i know in my area there is a shop that has stuff like that still on the shelf,,
ide replace them even if only with stock rated leafs,,my gues they may be sagging a little by now and if not in the budget take them apart one side at a time,sand or sand blast and get a good chassis or rust olem paint and paint um up,,,,

scribe a mark in each so you know which one went where for reassembly,,

-
Back