Finally getting an early A-Body

-
A friend of mine owns a spring shop and he told me that it is best to use the original springs (if possible) because they were made better "back in the day" when they used to quench the steel in Cyanide. He added 1 leaf to my pack for the added HP and a 1/2 leaf on the front as an anti-wrap spring, then he de-arched them 2 inches. I sanded them down ( they wern't as rusty as yours) then primed and painted satin black, they look like new.

Ok, I will check into anything local.I was wondering why he would have different leafs on the pass side and also why are all the straps an the rear of the springs?

could be a mis matched set,,one may of been replaced some where along the line,,if the car sits level,,and not sagging just repaint them take them apart and mark them then sand and repaint,,,,my gues that rusty they may be sagging,,and air shocks arent the answer,,the car will handle like crap:read2:

cosgig, tell me more about the early A's having a 1" shorter spring. Is that ride height or overall length?

Jegs has those 68 hemi springs for $126 a piece, looks like that may be the way to go. I think these girls are done, hats off and a moment of silence for a great set of springs boys! If they could talk huh?

Jegs has those 68 hemi springs for $126 a piece, looks like that may be the way to go. I think these girls are done, hats off and a moment of silence for a great set of springs boys! If they could talk huh?

the super stock springs are 6 on the left side and 8 on the right side,,they are designed for drag racing,,they wil lift your car a little higher then stock springs ide go with a stock type replacement from a local spring shop or J.C WHITNEY also carries the stock type,,

ESPO Springs N things sells the stock HD springs. No idea on cost, but they are 6 leafs.

Do you have a link to that ESPO outfit?

Hey fstfish, are stock replacements going to give me any lift or will the car sit level? Just curious, thanks.

Still not familiar with ESPO, but I have been researching the 4 link made by Bill Rielly (RMS:BigBlockDart) for the early A, looks like a really good unit and he has one for early A's now. He found out that early A's are 1 inch wider in there rear and 1" narrower in the front, strange huh?

I bought my springs and shackles from a local shop we deal with at work. I felt it was a good price and they sit the car nice.

tony,, new style stock springs may raise your car a tiny bit,,,but only if the springs in your car are really sagging or camel backed bad,, J.C. WHITNEY has both stock ride height and 2 inch lift,if your going with a taller or wider then stock tire,,you may want to consider 2 inch lift,,

Sounds like the way to go Fstfish and they are priced right. I would give my left one for the RMS four link but man it is 1800 and that is more than I planned on spending all together.

tony,, just dont get the super stock leafs,,they are for hard launching, and ride harder then a stock type spring,,,,also consider looking for a spring relocation kit,moves them in 1 1/2 inches on each side,,makes a big difference on wider tires and rims

Does the relocation kit effect body roll in cornering at all? I know a wider tire can't hurt thats for sure. $185 at moparts.

well these cars werent built with road racing in mind,,the relocation kit makes room inward for a wider rim/tire combo in those small wheel openings

I understand that Fstfish seeing how they are based on a very simple economy chasis but isn't that the very reason it should be able to BE a road car with the right adjustments. For instance bigger tires all around, 4 w/Disc brakes, F&R sway bars, heavier shocks, frame stiffening, quick up the steering, heavier Tbars, and a good cooling system would make a super car out of it I think. Now I may be completely wrong but what a great car to do it with huh?
Actually I remember my 65 being pretty good and I have always seen them as a road car but being on here for some time now and learning alot more about them I can see your view alot more clear than mine now. I am still wanting to try it, you think I am wasting my time and money?

No....It's what ever is in your hart :happy10::happy10::happy10:

Not At All,,just Saying Moving In The Leaf Springs A Little With The Kit Will Make It Much Easier To Use A Wider Rim And Tire,,

well these cars werent built with road racing in mind,,the relocation kit makes room inward for a wider rim/tire combo in those small wheel openings

Well, they did well in Trans-Am! :cheers:

Thats a great comment that you made Fstfish66, I often wonder what the designers had in mind for the barracuda. I would think that they came out with the Barracuda the same time Furd came out with the poontang so you can't say it was to compete with the mustang like the cougar was or the AMX, or the Camaro.
And it wasn't over powered out of the gate like the GTO was, makes me wonder......hummm....What do you guys think?

Hey Tony,how have you been?Hows you build going?Anyway I think Ford stole some ideas from the Barracuda fastback for the Mustang,cause they didn,t make a fastback in 64 now did they!HaHa!I,m going with the XHD leafs for my 66 Dart,which cost just under $300 for the pair.Keep us updated with your build!8)

Going good Petty except being out of work, it's rained 12 days here, my car work has slowed because of weather. Rear end is in the back as we speak so the repainting will begin tomorrow. Where did you get XHD springs? Are they set up like the ones fstfish was talking about? How do you like them?

-
Back