Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
I'm gonna pile on with everyone else....lol. Your headliner install looks fantastic! If you have any little wrinkles that are bugging you, put some water in a squirt bottle, mist the wrinkle, and then hit it with a heat gun. That works pretty good if you don't have one of those high dollar upholstery steamers.

Mind showing pics of the transmission cooling lines and routing? About to do mine

Here are some pics of the tranny cooling lines. I'm going to get my original lines out this weekend and compare the two. I might need to adjust the new ones if I find that they deviate from the originals a lot. Since my engine cooling system is completely clean and dry, I decided to use Evans waterless coolant in the system. I figured that it was easier to do it from the start than to convert later on. I removed the thermostat housing yesterday and filled the block. Thermostat and housing have been bolted on and the radiator was filled tonight.

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2255.JPG

Looks great. Did yours have guides for the lines.

The new lines had one S-shaped clip (like my originals) that I placed just behind the power steering pump.

I kept the clips from the slant six. Looked liked this one pictured. No idea yet where I might be able to use it.

Love how clean everything looks. Very nice

CDBF06C3-46A2-4892-B483-A22FD547F95D.png

I don't recall taking a piece off of my car that looked like that. Perhaps it attaches to one of the inspection cover bolts or engine/tranny support bolt where the two lines run close together at the front of the transmission. Maybe somebody on FABO will be able to shed some light on the subject.

I did the same thing with my car by putting Evans Waterless Coolant while the car is "new" and didn't want to go through the conversion as well.

I had a good day with the car today. Polished the stainless steel on the window channel and installed both sides. I finished installing the coat hooks and front shoulder belts through the headliner. Laid out the front and rear carpet to check for fit. I will be installing Hush Mat on the floor and I wanted to see how far the carpet runs up the firewall. The carpet looks great. I won't need to do much massaging when I put it down for good. All my interior pieces were purchased from Dante's. He's a great guy to deal with and I was able to save shipping by having him transport everything to Chryslers at Carlisle.
I installed the last of the radiator hose clamps. I had purchased KD spring clamp pliers a while back but it just didn't work well. I get kinda nervous when a fully compressed clamp goes flying across the garage. I ended up taking an old Craftsman vise grip pliers and cut notches in the jaws with my cut-off wheel. My homemade tool worked like a champ!

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

That's a good idea on notching out a vise grip to remove corbin clamps. I think I am going to do the same thing.

Nice idea. I’ve been getting by with fencing pliers.

Kevin, I dunno. That thing is becoming like a piece of art. If it was mine I don't think I could drive it. I would be satisfied walking out in the the garage sitting in a chair having a cold one and stairing at her. That would give me satisfaction. It is a sight of beauty.

Thanks for the complement R4Sedan. I've got to say that I just love to look at the car in my garage. It's so nice to have it back home again after such a long, bumpy ride. It's funny that you mention that the car is like a piece of art because I think the last thing then I'm going to do is put the Pentastar signature on the lower right fender just like a painter does.

Damn spell check!

Last edited:
I got the Hush Mat installed on the floor last night. My installation gasket set arrived from DMT yesterday. Probably will work on installing the pop out windows next.

IMG_2274[1].JPG

There's light at the end of the tunnel! Progress is exceptional.

Started working on the pop out windows yesterday. I' using the Detroit Muscle Tech. installation kit. I'm not happy with the drivers side install. the lower gasket is gapping from the body quite a lot in the rear. I'm going to work on the passenger side today and come back to the left later.

I got the pop out windows installed. Passenger side went in without a hitch. I redid the driver's and it went in without any gasket gapping. Rear vapor barrier is installed along with seat belts. Carpet will be installed next.

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

Sail panels installed. The back of the car is shaping up. Time to work on getting the carpet installed.

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

Started working on the pop out windows yesterday. I' using the Detroit Muscle Tech. installation kit. I'm not happy with the drivers side install. the lower gasket is gapping from the body quite a lot in the rear. I'm going to work on the passenger side today and come back to the left later.
Saw you fixed the gap problem. I had that too and had to jam some foam strips in between the lower rubber and window frame. Then when pushed the window in it had no gaps. Learned on the fly like you probably did also. Your car is beautiful.

Thanks for the compliment dcl68. Things lined up nicely on the window frame the second time around. Like you, it just needed a little tweaking to get things lined up.

-
Back