Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
there is gonna be a lot of cryin' when this masterpiece is finished.....you, because you will receive the rewards of your persistence....me (and others) because this thread will likely cease.

Thanks for the nice note Denny. I'm glad that what I've been sharing has been enjoyable. It has been a good way for me to chronicle my journey.

You are close to Carlisle, any plans to show it off at this years Mopar show?. I plan on bringing the 1975 Butch Leal / California Flash / Direct Connection HemiDuster this year. Always a blast to B.S. with my FABO buddies.

of course....if you want to bring it to the Nats ....i know the guy with the HDK tent.

My brother and I make our annual pilgrimage to Carlisle. It's always great to see all the parts, cars and to spend the day engrossed in Mopars with Gary. I would like to bring the Duster to Carlisle this year. I should have all the bugs ironed out by then. We usually attend Friday.
We've never been to the Nats. It might be something to consider.

I installed the telescoping antenna yesterday and I wanted to see how my radio worked. I had the radio converted to AM/FM digital by RetroRadio some time ago. They are located in Elizabethtown, PA which is a short drive from where I live. I'm very impressed with how selective it is and the dual speakers up front and back really sound good. I'm happy!

Today, the old girl got her face back! Most folks are into the Sharktooth grill but it seems to me that I see more of them now than I did back in the day.View attachment 1715287244

IMG_2237[1].JPG

I installed the telescoping antenna yesterday and I wanted to see how my radio worked. I had the radio converted to AM/FM digital by RetroRadio some time ago. They are located in Elizabethtown, PA which is a short drive from where I live. I'm very impressed with how selective it is and the dual speakers up front and back really sound good. I'm happy!

Sounds great, looks great, in short, it's great! :thumbsup:

no 8 trac under the dash for a some "Born to be Wild " / Steppenwolf ?

I never had an 8 track but my brother and I installed a Radio Shack under dash cassette player back in the day. We were state of the art! :lol:

you must be younger than me.....in the early to mid 70's, in NW Ohio, eight tracs were a "must have" from the getgo. .

you must be younger than me.....in the early to mid 70's, in NW Ohio, eight tracs were a "must have" from the getgo. .
I rode around in a Dodge Aspen in high school, it had an under dash 8-track and an adapter to play cassettes through. It was my best friend's older brother's car. I had a few 8-tracks to contribute as well, QUeen, Hall and Oates, Steve Martin, to name a few!

Wow Wow just Wow !!!

I just found this thread today and read the whole thing. Superb job and absolutely top
notch attention to detail. I know very few people that can even begin to approach your
level of OCD driven madness (Denny, Mark & Ross). LOL.....You're all certifiably crazy!

Hope to see this car featured at Carlisle and Columbus. You deserve it!

Thanx Old Man Mopar. This thread has grown in length since I started it. I'm glad that you enjoyed reading about my project. As for my OCD madness, I take that as a compliment.

I finished installing the headliner today. There are a couple wrinkles in the sail panel area but I'm very happy with the finished job. I put all screws in for interior pieces such as dome light, mirror, visors, and seat belt harnesses before I installed the headliner. It made it easier to feel their location afterwards. I had an old wood burning tool that I ground to a point on my bench grinder. It was easy to just melt holes directly over the screws. It worked well and the liner won't tear.

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

Thanks Danny. I have to say that the headliner install went smoother than I had anticipated. I did it over the course of 2 days. i wouldn't hesitate to install another one if the chance arises in the future. It is a time consuming task and I can understand why a pro would charge $450. It's very satisfying to look at it and say "I did that." Another new skill to check off the list.

The headliner turned out really nice Kevin!

I finished installing the headliner today. There are a couple wrinkles in the sail panel area but I'm very happy with the finished job. I put all screws in for interior pieces such as dome light, mirror, visors, and seat belt harnesses before I installed the headliner. It made it easier to feel their location afterwards. I had an old wood burning tool that I ground to a point on my bench grinder. It was easy to just melt holes directly over the screws. It worked well and the liner won't tear.

View attachment 1715290219

View attachment 1715290222

View attachment 1715290223

Fantastic job on that headliner! It took a professional upholsterer two days to do mine. It is not an easy job.

Thanks John. When do you think that your Demon will be on the road?
It beats me Kevin. I haven't talked or been down to Steve's shop probably since December. I should pay a visit to him this week when I get time and see where he's at on it.

That makes me feel pretty good 340wedge. I figured that since I did the upholstery I might as well give the headliner a shot. Also, the upholstery shops wanted me to bring the car to them which would have been a big hassle.

I HATE leaving any car, customer or my personal hot rods, ANYWHERE except of course the (HDK) fab shop or my good friends body shop. IMO....I make enough mistakes without the careless help of others.

I love the "I can do it" attitude combined with the better than the "pros" execution

Everything looks fantastic. The Headliner, Front end, Drive Shaft. Super nice

Thanks for the comments. I ordered a stainless steel exhaust system from Waldron's last week. They quoted me a 5-6 week wait time. I had a tough time deciding between Accurate or Waldron's. I will source factory hardware from other sources. Ruth at Waldron's was over the top helpful when I called with questions. In the end, their dual exhaust system with stainless mufflers will cost me $900 + shipping. Exhaust was my last pricey purchase for the car.

-
Back