Finished... Alter-K-Tion install.......

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
well we went out and finished up the install todat... special thanks to dave and his family for letting me use their garage.. and tyler for all the help.. and jamie for getting it for me in the first place then helping with the install even today on her birthday....

i replaced rear brakes and hardware and also hooked the front lines up.. also put the 2 bolt master cyl in and flushed the system and put dot 5 fluid in it... i also lucked out that the turbo action shifter i ordered the other day came today so we installed tha too which let us take it for a ride.. ;D.. the shifter is a little pricey but man is it a nice piece.. it works so smooth i couldn't believe it... and even better is that to shifts from the rear of the trans wich really keeps everything away from the headders and trans lines etc....

then the moment of truth.. the madien voyage.. even though it hasn't been aligned yet it goes doen the road really straight... and the feel is incredible.. hard to explain but you turn the wheel the slightest bit and it turns.. it is super responsive... the ride is very nice too.. the shocks are set on i think the softest setting and man does it ride nice... you can feel how bad the rear suspension is now...lol.. i took a few bends in the road on the way home at a good speed and this thing really corners well.. and i have skinnies up front and haven't instaled the sway bar yet.. can't wait till i hook that bar up and put some tire on the car,, that will probably wait till after carlisle...

i have to hand it to bill. he built an incredible kit that is really easy to install, that you don't really have to cut up your car (drill welds out of bump stops) and that really works.... i can't wait to align it and really go beat on it some.... carlisle here we come....

alterK6-17-06%20%281%29.JPG

alterK6-17-06%20%283%29.JPG

alterK6-17-06%20%285%29.JPG

ok i know these aren't the best pictures but i tried to get some pictures of the clearance on the headders and oil pan for the guys that asked about it...

alterK6-17-06%20%287%29.JPG

alterK6-17-06%20%288%29.JPG

alterK6-17-06%20%2810%29.JPG

alterK6-17-06%20%2811%29.JPG

very nice. cant wait to get mine, although itll be a little while before i install it. looks great man, congrats.

Great run of pictures. How easy was the installation process and how bad was the cave eats?

rumblefish360 said:
Great run of pictures. How easy was the installation process and how bad was the cave eats?

the install was really easy... the whole thing just about fell into place... it was so easy that my 11 year old put the entire passenger side together on his own... i went and tightened everything afterwards but he put it together himself.. i was shock at how easy it went together....

how bad was the cave eats?[/

????

Looks freakin awesome Joe!!!!!!

What brake set up did you use? Is it the Wildwood 11" setup that comes with it?

Cave eats. Problems....seen, unseen, not mentioned in the book/instructions.

Like; "I didn't know I had to dent headers for clearance into the car for the starter/ground, steering box. " And everything a rookie meets on his way to do headers. LOL Like, "I have to lift the engine up?" LOL

You get the picture. Via your description, it sounds like there were none.
How did the alignement go. How does it feel vs stock. Turning radius, bump steer, etc....

Now whats better than wrenching with your son?
The otherday, my 4 year old couldn't take his eyes away from watching me weld. I gave the little guy a helmet and fliped the glass down. He LOVED IT!

blackace said:
Looks freakin awesome Joe!!!!!!

What brake set up did you use? Is it the Wildwood 11" setup that comes with it?

no the set up i have is one bill offers to keep the cost down some... i can upgrade at a later time very easily because of the mustangII style spindles.. i think he said they were ford granada brakes...

rumblefish360 said:
Cave eats. Problems....seen, unseen, not mentioned in the book/instructions.

Like; "I didn't know I had to dent headers for clearance into the car for the starter/ground, steering box. " And everything a rookie meets on his way to do headers. LOL Like, "I have to lift the engine up?" LOL

You get the picture. Via your description, it sounds like there were none.
How did the alignement go. How does it feel vs stock. Turning radius, bump steer, etc....
QUOTE]

lets see.. i had to change from a column shift to a floor shift.. i didn't know that... may have been able to make the column shift work but i was presses for time.. and that stupid pin in the colomn is a real pain but other then that it was a straight forward job.. everything clears the headders,oil pan,etc....

it isn't aligned yet though. hopefully this wed. it goes down the street pretty straight for an eye ball alignment. the steering is really hard to explain. if you turn it it just turns now.. no play like a steering box. ( and i had a very tight steering box). it takes the corners very well and i'm running the skinnies and haven't put the sway bar on yet. i don't notice any bump steer.. the turning radius seem to be good..not sure if its any better or worse. there is more road feel in the wheel which the directions warn you about but its not enough to bother me... i have only put like 20 miles on it so far so i should be able to answer the questions a little better in a few weeks when i have some miles on it..

Well, get your math brain going! It would be interesting to know......
I spent a ton on my custom front end......

I'd like to know the cost too. I'm setting my car up for Road Racing.
Part of me wants to keep the torsion bar, to keep the Mopar heritage, but then again better is better no matter how you look at it.
I'm just about finished welding up my 2x3 subframe connectors(ran out of argon yesterday). I'm picking up my keisler 5 speed at carlisle, then i can set up my "truck arm" rear suspension. For anyone unfamiliar it's like your common stock car and mid 60s Chevy truck rear suspensions.

Looks great btw. Thanks for the pics.

RedlineDuster said:
I'd like to know the cost too. I'm setting my car up for Road Racing.
Part of me wants to keep the torsion bar, to keep the Mopar heritage, but then again better is better no matter how you look at it.
I'm just about finished welding up my 2x3 subframe connectors(ran out of argon yesterday). I'm picking up my keisler 5 speed at carlisle, then i can set up my "truck arm" rear suspension. For anyone unfamiliar it's like your common stock car and mid 60s Chevy truck rear suspensions.

Looks great btw. Thanks for the pics.

if your gonna be at carlisle your best bet is to talk to bill reilly at the reilly motorsports tent.. he will be able to break the price down better for you... if i had to guess i would say its in the ball park of $3500... the kit comes with everything and i mean everything to just bolt on and go... and the installation is cake...

HemiMark said:
Good to know........not a bad price for a great upgrade!

i just got back from carlisle in my dart... its 2 hours each way.. man does it drive great.. it was really the longest i got to drive it at speed since i put it in... i have hads it on the hiway before but not for the extended tim with all the curves as the pa turn pike... let me tell you.. it was awesome.. it stuck to the road great.. took the turns awesome.. it gives a great feel of coffidence...

-
Back