Finishing interior garage walls

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've decided to insulate my 24x24 garage and finish the interior walls. I've been looking at the standard drywall(moisture/mold resistant) and paneling. Anyone have any other alternate materials to look at? I'm also wondering for those that dry-walled or paneled, do you wish you did something else?

Thanks Craig

I used 3/8" plywood and painted it white. I can hang just about anything, anywhere without hunting for a stud. The white paint reflects the light and helps when working in the shop when lights are needed.
C

I used 3/8" plywood and painted it white. I can hang just about anything, anywhere without hunting for a stud. The white paint reflects the light and helps when working in the shop when lights are needed.
C
Neighbor used osb and painted it white, it is VERY bright in there when the lights are on......

I have a 32x24 pole barn. I just used 1/2" form installtion board between the slats. Then covered the walls with some 1x12 boards my wife got from her work. Keeps the wind out and most of the heat. I would have used OSB if I had to buy it and paint it.

I just drywalled walls and ceiling, and painted white. I have 2x6 insulated walls, so the heat stays in in the winter, and out in the summer. I had my (former) '65 Valiant sitting in there with bare metal showing for a lot of years,and it didn't flash once. If people build houses this way, why not garages as well?

YMMV....

Attachments

• DadsGarage.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,508
Inexpensive way out would be the OSB painted white. It also gives a more solid surface than drywall to resist holes if something falls against it and for hanging stuff as well.

Another OSB user here . Painted gloss white , available in 5 gallon pails from lowes. Took 1 heavy coat of primer and 2 top coats to cover . Cheap , bright , cleans easy and easy to install.

I put up masonite, also called hardboard, that had a glossy white coating on it that wipes off easy and is super reflective. It's 1/8 in. thick, I used my electric staple gun with little T-head nails to fasten it up. It comes in 4x8 sheets and cost about the same as a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 in. drywall.

T-111 is great for inside walls. Tough and yet with a coat of stain looks really nice.

my garage is 24' x 72'. i used 1 x 12 rough cut hemlock on the outside with battens. i am not quite done inside. put 1/2" board insulation between walls & finished a good bit using boards from a shed i tore down. am now doing the rest with rough cut 1 x 10's. my wife claims there are some ridiculous amount of lights in there, but i wired it & i know better. metal roof by the way, pole building.

I used cheap 7/16 plywood, and painted it white.
It is really nice to place a screw or nail where you want it.
Plus the advantage is just un-screw it if you need to access wiring.
Hint, run the sheets length wise to the gagage floor, and all your wiring in the upper half, it makes it so much easier to change, add a circut etc.

FYI osb is cheaper but it will absorb 2x-3x the amount of paint vs smooth plywood, so you just lost any cost advantage, plus the osb draws moisture faster.

Tony, why did you go heavier on the roof?

-
Back