firewall bulkhead for wiring

-

dartman 440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
what has everyone been doing for the thru firewall wiring when putting these hemis in ? is there even room to use the factory three plug bulkhead electrical connectors for the wipers and light harness? i was thinking of fabbing up something out of aluminum like they do for street rods , any comments or concerns , pics would be great , what would i do without this site , thanks to all . dartman 440 ed :D

If I was spending the time and money for a hemi swap there is no question........I'd get rid of the bulkhead connector somehow. Even if you want a big connector to isolate the engine side harness, you "could" fab a little cover, use a grommet and hang the connector up under the dash. After all, how many times do you think you'll pull it apart?

And.......I'm seriously thinking of that on mine, but I don't have the time. I'll be lucky whatever is left of my old age to enjoy "stuff" LOL

what has everyone been doing for the thru firewall wiring when putting these hemis in ? is there even room to use the factory three plug bulkhead electrical connectors for the wipers and light harness? i was thinking of fabbing up something out of aluminum like they do for street rods , any comments or concerns , pics would be great , what would i do without this site , thanks to all . dartman 440 ed :D
I guess it depends on what wiring you are using. I'm using FAST and they want you to cut 2" hole in the firewall to run all the wiring through.
Because I have the AC heater box, I didnt have much room to do that, so I ran the wiring thru 3 small holes instead. (They also dont want you to run cam and crank sensor wiring thru the same hole as the coil wiring.) To do that, I had to remove the engine side connectors from the harnesses so the wired would go through the smaller holes. Was a lot of work, but looks much better.

Im deleting my bulkhead. Engine harness will come in behind intake and lights,horn and fans will snake under fender top to the front.

I still have the factory bulkheads for the time being and drilled two new holes for my Megasquirt wiring. I really wanted to put in a new bulkhead connector for the Megasquirt stuff, but once I started pricing it, holes and grommets looked far more appealing for the time being. A bulkhead connector alone may not look like it costs much, but by the time you buy pins for both sides of it, it adds up in a hurry.

In a perfect world I'd replace the factory bulkheads with one or two modern style ones and run a third for my Megasquirt so they all match and look nice. Until then, the factory stuff works fine for what it's doing.

well i think im going with hot wire , and with all the ideas it makes me think about hiding the original wiring under the fenders and making a custom bulkhead . does anyone know how much wire you get from hot wire in relation to where you could put the hole ? thanks to all ed dartman 440

I got rid of the factory bulkhead and opened the hole enough I could get the connectors that attach to the computer through the firewall. I then made a split grommet to seal around the bundle of wires passing through the hole. This way I don't have to worry about any bad electrical connections through the firewall. I also added heavier gauge wires for the headlights along with many other smaller modifications that changed most of the wiring through the bulkhead.

I would have to rate it about 8 I spent a lot time just learning how to read the wiring diagrams and figuring out what to cut and keep. At first it seemed overwhelming, but I just took my time and went 1 wire at a time. I used the engine harness and a little bit of the harness from the interior, but could have gotten by without it. Getting the fuses and relays in the right places took some time as well.

-
Back