• IMAG0838.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,736
  • IMAG0832.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,733
  • IMAG0833.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,737
  • IMAG0835.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,749
GREAT looking Valiant! I really cant wait to see that thing come back to life as you work through the build!!

Great Looking Valiant, I like the lines. You may be able to shoehorn a 400 in there but for less hassle I would go with a sb. You do see some of them with screeming /6's and they really haul the mail but I am a V8 soundaholic.

Do you know, is that a 170 or a 225? I've been looking for one of those to build for a daily driver. that one looks like a good starting place!

i just got the car this morning i got to go to work ill check in the morning my be willing to part with it ill let u no

I vote for small block. They make good power & less "issues" with the install. But if your going racing......big block it for fun.
Check the /6 with a magnet, it may have an aluminum block. If so, hold on to it.

Thanks so far on the input I plan on checking the block to see if its cast or aluminum I just had the car shipped today 10/3/2010 but so far what I can see of the car I'm very pleased

I think a turbocharged 225 is in order. Good luck with the build and keep us posted. A buzzin half dozen for sure. toolmanmike

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrAqCYhAI5I&NR=1"]YouTube - 11 second Slant Six Valiant Station Wagon - Mopars North of the Gate 2009[/ame]

I would go with the 383 or 400 block configuration. Schmacher mounts will fit your car. May want to get a set of hi po exhaust manifolds to see if they will work.

There is a 383 62 Lancer on You Tube. Do a search. He does have a straight axle but check it out anywhay. It may give you some motivation.

You have an extremely cool car!!

Mike

If you dont stay stock, I would go small block is very easy fit, and your cowl for radiator is offset on early A etc. So a stroker 360 makes cost effective sense for a lot of power or a good buil mild 360 and a 904 trans with a 8 3/4 3.55 possi nothing to rad would be a great build!

I am a fan of the /6 but I think with those body lines I would go stroker 360.

go for a custom built slant 6 for a real head turner at shows. you will also save yourself alot of work with fitting another drive train, bigger radiator,etc. however, if your heart is set on a v8, then go for the lighter small block as these cars were built for slant 6s mostly. with a v8, you will most likely need to beef up the rearend and front suspension,however im not an expert by any means.

I am not a big block fan and I know they are a pain to fit in an early A-body but something about that car screams 383 BIG BLOCK !!!

I've got to vote for the small block. My bias is all based on a car from in or around Salt Lake City. I went there on a business trip and noticed a 62 Valiant with a for sale sign looking really nice. Later when I was able to look at the car it had already been sold but the guy was anxious to show it to me. It had a 408, 904, 8-3/4, 4 wheel discs, heavy torsion bars etc. He even had concealed heat and A/C under the dash. It was a VERY sanitary upgrade. When I stop to think of the coolest cars I've ever seen this one comes to mind at the top of the list.
If you are willing to do a lot of work and upgrades go stroked small block. If you want to reamain a bit conservative stick with the six and go all original.

My .02........

Ok, is it me or does this thing have a 4 speed in it? I can hear 3 gears in the water box but 4 speeds and a tranny brake off the line. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen this wagon run at the local track(Woodburn), it was impressive to say the least. He is/was running a 5 speed

-
Back