First ever car show at George Rays!!

-
Wow.

They are still racing there? Amazing.

I remember going there in my dad's Thunderbolt, I believe "Happy Days" hit the TV that fall, so it would have been about 1973 or so.

I have seen a lot of drag strips & race tracks close over the decades. Good to see that place is still there. Is George still with us? he would be in his 90's by now. That place was quite a trip. The good ol' boys had some mean stuff back then.

Thanks for the pics.

B.

Wow.

They are still racing there? Amazing.

I remember going there in my dad's Thunderbolt, I believe "Happy Days" hit the TV that fall, so it would have been about 1973 or so.

I have seen a lot of drag strips & race tracks close over the decades. Good to see that place is still there. Is George still with us? he would be in his 90's by now. That place was quite a trip. The good ol' boys had some mean stuff back then.

Thanks for the pics.

B.

We laid George Ray to rest in 2009 Our birthday was just 4 days apart and it seemed there was allot of folks there that shared his birthday with him :sad8:
Here is a thread with many great pictures of us together and the day we laid him to rest http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=82572&page=2

Attachments

• GEORGE%20RAYS%20GONE%20TO%20BE%20%20STRONG%20035.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for the photos Mike. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable weekend - again. :)
Good morning Sid :coffee2:
Very enjoying day to say the least :blob:
My sons and friends have many great memories there and allot of the ol friends was there this day :cheers:

Looking down this old track watching everyone enjoy it sure was another good shot in the arm for me :coffee2: It sure has been a great couple weeks for me :D, first Monster Mopar at Tony Fields home and then this day the very next week :D, Life is good Sid :coffee2:

Attachments

• George Rays Car show 2011 052.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 133

:D It sure is Bigdummy :D
About 15 miles away from the hill far out in the flat lands :coffee2:
I guess some times less is more ain't it :coffee2:
So glad you enjoyed the day here at this cool little ol track many have enjoyed :cheers:
George Ray built this track to get the kids off the street and it did it's job..
It is a little weird not hearing him on the P.A. calling car's to the line and welcoming everyone to the track :sad8:
But I am so happy for Bonnie :cheers: She has had a hard time this year keeping the track open with the high temps that had kept attendance way down, But not this day :cheers:

Attachments

• MMPWE 20011 Intake and gifts 033.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 122
Thanks for the pics Mike........looks like you had a great time.
No pics of Victoria at the line ?

Thanks for posting your great pics, Mike. I'd love to see George Ray's place one of these days but it would a bit of a drive from Socal!
I'll be posting up some pics tonight from the 21st Annual Veteran's Memorial Car Show that I went to yesterday. Always an outstanding show.

Thanks for the pics Mike! That plate of food looks good. Making me hungry!
Victoria sure looks sharp! I'm a ol' gasser fan too. I like the Willys and the Anglia.
toolman

Ain't that the truth J :D I must have chased Friday and Saturday's rain to George rays when we was at Monster Mopar :D
I almost did not go J, I herd about it last night and I did not have Victoria cleaned up :eek:ops:, But Treva told me I should go and support this day there becouse it has been slow because of the heat and wet spring we had :glasses7:
Bonnie was glad to see me and put me right by the registration tent behind a beautiful 'Cuda :toothy9::toothy9: I can't believe this picture turned out bad :wack:
Victoria is a peace of art in the making :D
One day J-miller :happy1: One day she will be beautiful :hello2:

Don't worry Mike...Victoria looks great no matter how crappy the picture turns out or whether you cleaned her up or not and even getting hit by lightning and she still looks great to me.

Thanks Mike for giving us a great tour of George Ray's, I have never been to a track like that. I know you're never boastful but Victoria's 170 beating a 225, I am impressed. Like Pete said the other cars in the show had nothing on Victoria. Someday she'll get a face lift but she hasn't needed it.

I'm glad to see they are keeping George's old place alive. It is definitely a "real" piece of history.

Bill S.

Thanks for the pics Mike........looks like you had a great time.
No pics of Victoria at the line ?
It was a day alone and the camera was in the trunk :eek:ops: I should have took a picture at the line :eek:ops:
But it was a rush thing because they announced the challenge as soon as I parked Victoria and signed in, They found me as I was walking back to the car taking pictures and the Dart was already at the line waiting on me to make a /6 pass, I think it was an Idea as soon as I got there so I put my camera up and closed the hood and drove to the left hand lane seeing the Dart was in the right waiting on me :coffee2: Some one may have so I will see if I can find some :coffee2:

Thanks for posting your great pics, Mike. I'd love to see George Ray's place one of these days but it would a bit of a drive from Socal!
I'll be posting up some pics tonight from the 21st Annual Veteran's Memorial Car Show that I went to yesterday. Always an outstanding show.
It would be a loooooong trip for sure ocdart :coffee2:
I am so glad you enjoyed being there in this thread anyway :D

Thanks for the pics Mike! That plate of food looks good. Making me hungry!
Victoria sure looks sharp! I'm a ol' gasser fan too. I like the Willys and the Anglia.
toolman
I was very impressed with the Willys build Mike :cheers:
I wish I would have took some more detailed pictures of the chassis build for us :coffee2:

Don't worry Mike...Victoria looks great no matter how crappy the picture turns out or whether you cleaned her up or not and even getting hit by lightning and she still looks great to me.
Treva talked me into going J :coffee2: I am sporting a back brace and keeping it hid from folks and carrying a camera and trying to get a bunch of pictures was on my to do list :cheers: Treva walked outside in rubber boots and I herd here turn the outside frost free water on and she was about to wash her for me :glasses7: She is the best J :cheers: But I stopped her and said I will drive threw a car wash on my why there to get the tree sap and bugs off. I had a great day :D and sort of a rush day because I was tie rod when I got home :D

Thanks Mike for giving us a great tour of George Ray's, I have never been to a track like that. I know you're never boastful but Victoria's 170 beating a 225, I am impressed. Like Pete said the other cars in the show had nothing on Victoria. Someday she'll get a face lift but she hasn't needed it.
Thank you goldfish65 :D:D
One day brother One day soon :cheers:
I really think I won that on my 60 foot time, My car is about 270lb's lighter and standard shift, I bit good with just the right amount of spin and got about 3/4's of a car on him by then and I could not see him there so I knew he was in my blind spot on my right.
He has had many great cars at this track for the last 35 or more years all MoPar and standing many up in the air :cheers: It was a great day making memories (M&M's)

I'm glad to see they are keeping George's old place alive. It is definitely a "real" piece of history.

Bill S.
We are blest to have this small track to enjoy near by Demonracer :coffee2:
George set out to do something about getting the folks and kids off the streets and he accomplished his job in life :cheers:
My children and I have been enjoying it for well over 35 years :coffee2:

i like to take my dart down there some day,bet that would be fun
It's always a great time at the track even if you don't race 44ooutlawdart :cheers:
But it is a plus :D
The track record is 4:98 and I watched a 5:09 pass yesterday =P~=P~
As George would say If weather is permitting we will be open each and every sunday I loved hearing those words

WOW, this is some really great stuff. Is that tripower setup FACTORY on the Plymouth? I've never seen one

attachment.php

WOW, this is some really great stuff. Is that tripower setup FACTORY on the Plymouth? I've never seen one

attachment.php

It is a Dual carb set up all factory installed in 1957 :cheers:

Attachments

• George Rays Car show 2011 024.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 63
-
Back