first restoration: 1930 willys overland model 70b sedan

-

bayyum

Reaction score
here is it guys ! i know its not a mopar, but i think it is a mopar 6 cyl. flathead and 3 speed tranny! it'll be rat rodded. and if i can keep the 6cylinder,

Attachments

• 263.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 459
  • 272.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 457
  • 271.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 438
  • 270.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 443
  • 269.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 429
  • 268.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 443
  • 267.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 461
  • 266.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 443
  • 265.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 423
  • 264.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 422

Attachments

• 283.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 412
  • 282.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 405
  • 281.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 414
  • 280.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 418
  • 279.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 402
  • 278.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 404
  • 277.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 425
  • 276.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 412
  • 275.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 273.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 405
... last batch

Attachments

• 293.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 430
  • 292.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 406
  • 291.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 399
  • 289.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 424
  • 288.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 426
  • 287.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 408
  • 286.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 403
  • 285.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 406
  • 284.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 407
u should thry to just get the thing loosly "assembled" to see that u have/need

i have everything but a distributor, the roof (which was vinyl, going to be metal) and the floor

yea, im the guy with the green hat, and im 6'5" think about the three other guys, we grow em bring in Canada :p i got the rear half of the body bolted on now

Good choise going rat-rod... Here's what I'd do with it, I'd find a 82-93 2wd S-10, use the S-10 front frame section with disc brakes etc, go with a 8.8 disc mustang rear with a 350 SBC....

Do you have the flower pot holders that go on the interior door posts? When I was a kid we had a 1927 Willys behind the granary. My Dad said it had belonged to my great grandfather and something went wrong with the ignition. They couldn't afford to fix it so bought a used Model A for $17.00! It was a complete car and I used to play in it when I was young always marveling at the flower pots and holders. Unfortunately the car was stolen sometime in 1970, I guess they really wanted those flower pots!!!

Hi! NIce car you have there! There cant be too many around today!

After the WW2 my grandfather built 6 EPA tractors. Actually small farming tractors since they didn't have too much money.

The first 5 tractor he sold and the last one he kept. That's a 1928 Chevrolet chassi with a 1923 Buick fron axle and wheels. The rear axle is Packard with Cadillac wheels. THe engine trown in was a 1927 Chevrolet 4 banger with a Ford transmission and an extra Dodge tranmission. This meant high and low gear tranny!

Finally the body was a 1930 Willys Overland that was shortened and the roof was still there as he wanted this one the get some warm air during winter times. All the others were cut behind the A-post and just had a seat on the chassi.

So when he passed away back in 1974 he wanted me to have this. I worked on it and have kept it in drivers condition. It the same time it is a time capsule of how the farmers in northern Sweden worked and what kind of equipment they had. I will post some pictures of it later today.

im not too sure about how radical of a rod it will be, but for now im just going to get it complete and running/driving, right now im thinking of swapping all the suspension from my 1991 f150 parts truck to it, its 2wd. and thats where im getting my floor/roof, the floor will be constructed of the bed of the pickup and the roof will be the bed sides welded together.. :) this is a very cheap/inexpensive build,

Here's a picture of the EPA tractor! Looks like an early hot rod to me!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 347
Just keep in mind that any car built before the mid 40's with a modern front subframe like an S-10, camaro, ect will look like total crap and stick out way past your fenders. If you are going to run a car fenderless or with the stock non full fenders just keep the straight axle and mount it suicide style off a front perch or go with a full kit from Speedway motors.

Most guys want to "upgrade" or do a subframe just because that is what has been drilled into their heads just like a small block chevy or ford 9" rear and it isn't always needed. The straight axle wasn't that bad of a design and in a car that light (or even in my 69 D100) it works just fine. try getting it running as is, even if it has been sitting outside for years you might be surprised and find out that you can get her up and running then decide what you want to do from there.

way cool dude I want to do a rat rod down the road, but with a kid on the way looks like it will wait for a while

Cool build, Mike!

As for your statement, "not a Mopar." Willys-Overland would eventually sell out to Kaiser who would eventually sell out to AMC who would eventually sell out to Chrysler. If you squint real hard you can see the family lineage. :-D

The Overland package on the Jeep is a nod to the heritage. The Overland badge on the Jeep is recreation of the originals.

I'm not going to argue on your restoration thread here, if you have newer parts, even off a '91 ford truck that you can make work go for it, thats what building a rat rod is all about, building something you can AFFORD with what you have.. If you want to sink a ton of cash into it going with speedway motors parts and it still ride and handle like a 1947 mack dump truck, do what 360scamp suggested... Good luck with your build...

i just got the intake, exhaust, carb, and starter on today, tomorrow will bring wiring and swapping the steering column out

I'm not going to argue on your restoration thread here, if you have newer parts, even off a '91 ford truck that you can make work go for it, thats what building a rat rod is all about, building something you can AFFORD with what you have.. If you want to sink a ton of cash into it going with speedway motors parts and it still ride and handle like a 1947 mack dump truck, do what 360scamp suggested... Good luck with your build...

Then why bother posting this at all? I didn't really see where Mike was asking advice from any of us - at least, not yet - but a few of you felt the need to do just that.

It's his build. Let him build it.

Sorry, Mike, if this is out of line, just say so and I'll delete it if it is.

getting my 9" rear our tomorrow, and my front end components, then going to drop the 5L 5 speed in hopefully before it snows. would like to having it running by next week, then all i have to do in the spring is weld everything together..

I think it is really cool Post progess pics if you can. There are good websites of some guys that know where to get what you need and offer advice. Advice from rat rod clubs and Willys clubs. Get the information and make your decision then. Good luck.

-
Back