First Restoration Project & First Post

-

65ValiantGal

Reaction score
Hello! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. My husband, a die-hard Mopar addict, has been bugging me to learn to drive forever. I told him if he bought me a car, I'd learn to drive, but it was "mopar or no car."

This past weekend we picked up a 1965 Valiant V-100 Custom hardtop. (Canadian) She's pretty close to original -- only the radio has been changed (and we'll be putting the original back in) and '70 rallys have been put on. The car has a /6 that turned almost instantly despite having been in storage for 30 years. I plan on restoring her over the winter.

Pics here: (If it asks for a "guest password", enter 65Valiant)
http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/65ValiantGal/

I'll likely be asking a lot of questions, as this is my first restoration, and my first car to boot. From what I've seen of the posts on this site, there's a lot collective knowledge around here, and I hope to tap in to some of it!

Thanks for welcoming me to the A-Bodies only family!

Welcome to FABO, 65ValiantGal, from SoCal. You're going to have fun here.
Keep us up to date on your resto project.

REAL nice. I would do the mechanicals, and leave the cosmetics as is. I like that look. But fully restored would be even better. Keep us posted.

Welcome aboard!!!! What a great looking car to start with. Looks solid and complete, you couldnt ask for more than that! Im looking forward to see the progress! Enjoy the site and keep the pics coming!

Wow!!!! What a GREAT CAR. Welcome I've only been here a little over a year and I find that the people here are a wealth of knowledge and they are good guys (and gals) as well. If you have any question I'm sure that the answer is just a few key strokes away. Keep us posted on your progress.

Glenn

Attachments

• IMG_0495 LR.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 124
Are those original miles?? That a sweet ride. When I was a kid, we had that car in a wagon. 4 kids & a dog....couldn't be killed.

So what's refined plan? Are you keeping the /6? If that is original miles, she's at 1/4 life (maybe)!!

Pete

Are those original miles?? That a sweet ride. When I was a kid, we had that car in a wagon. 4 kids & a dog....couldn't be killed.

So what's refined plan? Are you keeping the /6? If that is original miles, she's at 1/4 life (maybe)!!

Pete

Yes, the 53K miles are original (as is everything else on the car, minus the rallys) Definitely keeping the /6.

As for the plan for the car: I'm not going to make any mechanical changes as she's already perfrect for the grocery-getter I want. (No racing soccer moms for me!) Essentially we're going to get a paint job (same medium blue poly), reupholter the seats, throw in a carpet kit, and maybe update the breaks. Just a simple winter project.

I will admit that the list keeps growing. I'll think to myself: "If I redo the seats, the headliner won't look good, so I should replace that." or "When I get her painted, the engine won't look as nice, maybe I should have it detailed" etc. etc. Trying to rein myself in at this point. We'll see where it goes. I'll definitely keep posting pics throughout the project.

Thanks for posting and thanks for everyone's warm welcomes!

Welcome to FABO.You just arrived at the best damn site on the net.All the help you need for your project and when you're not looking for help you can always share some comments or visit the chat room.8)

Welcome 65ValiantGal,great to see such a nice find in Ontario and an Early-A to boot.It looks very similar to my 66 Dart when I first got it(I,ve chopped it up a bit for racing)Enjoy the site!Is your husband a member?Whats his car?

-
Back