First Start Up! Hyd. Cam Break In! Tonight!

-
35lbs on the Oil Pump. As far as the windage tray, I just tighten them up snug by feel using some Red Locktite.

everyone thanks for the help. I got it all back together today finally. I primed the engine with new oil pump and I have a healthy 60 PSI, wouldn't go any higher with the drill. I am very happy about that! Now I found I need my carb rebuilt, I pulled it apart and man what a corroded mess. Dont wanna run it on that thing. should have it rebuilt by tomorrow night if my rebuild kit comes in the morning. stay tuned.

Excellent! And welcome to the process of starting a new engine...lol. Go over each system, verify it's working well, then start it. Usually the excitement gets the best of us and we just jump into running it. Then get pissed when something isnt right.

First, stay away from HV pumps!

What, they came stock in the 340's and work fine for me. Its better to have the clearances n the loose side and the HV pump feeds more oil and cools the bearings off.

Oh sure, they suck up a tad more hp, big deal

Stay away from 4 inch stroke in stock small blocks, IMO

I never do a break in with open headers just for the exact reason Steve suggests not to. You cannot hear anything except exhaust. That's all well and good and fun when you KNOW the engine is broken in with no problems, but until you get to that point, I would highly suggest muffling it somehow. Header mufflers are cheap and you could resell them.

VERY good advise. As a newb operator up on the hill at Teck I learned very fast that my ears were more important than my eyes as diagnostic and safety tool's.

You sure cant hear a bearing chewing itself to death over open header's,lol....

Have fun with that big cam. I'd go 4 gear if you havent already,much more fun when you have a big cam.

Thanks. i have mufflers clamped on, that issue is taken care of. the carb will be done this morning. then break in will follow shortly after, probably in 3 hours.. about the cam yea, i agree, its a lil big but its together and its all i got for the moment. talked to one of the engine builders over the phone on here where i got my heads..., he said, although not ideal, It'll run and perform fine. so i have gears and a 3000 stall to help me out a lil. I do appreciate everyones input thus far. thank you all. hopefully i can get a video for yall.

Oh now I'm starting to see

Build the engine with tight clearances and low volume oil pumps so the stroker engines with too short of piston skirts won't burn too much oil way too early due to poor ring seal. Limit the oil being thrown on to the cylinder walls

Well maybe that works ?

But no thanks, I stick with long skirt pistons that don't rock much

If the bearings clearances aren't too tight to start with, they all live a nice long happy life so long as they get a steady flow of clean oil all their lives.

If the engine is built correctly and everything double check as its build, there really should rarely if ever be a problem.

Now sure, if you go sticking in a 4 inch crank in a block design for a 3.5 stroke crank, try to run as tight as clearances as possible to limit the oil being thrown on the cyl wall, then sure. You better listen closely for any noises.

Old school may not always make the most hp but it can save much grief later on

What, they came stock in the 340's and work fine for me. Its better to have the clearances n the loose side and the HV pump feeds more oil and cools the bearings off.

Oh sure, they suck up a tad more hp, big deal

Stay away from 4 inch stroke in stock small blocks, IMO

Guess you have it all worked out then...good for you!!

Oh now I'm starting to see

Build the engine with tight clearances and low volume oil pumps so the stroker engines with too short of piston skirts won't burn too much oil way too early due to poor ring seal. Limit the oil being thrown on to the cylinder walls

Well maybe that works ?

But no thanks, I stick with long skirt pistons that don't rock much

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing!

If the bearings clearances aren't too tight to start with, they all live a nice long happy life so long as they get a steady flow of clean oil all their lives.

If the engine is built correctly and everything double check as its build, there really should rarely if ever be a problem.

Now sure, if you go sticking in a 4 inch crank in a block design for a 3.5 stroke crank, try to run as tight as clearances as possible to limit the oil being thrown on the cyl wall, then sure. You better listen closely for any noises.

Old school may not always make the most hp but it can save much grief later on

Atta boy...way to help the OP out with all of this!!

Thanks. i have mufflers clamped on, that issue is taken care of. the carb will be done this morning. then break in will follow shortly after, probably in 3 hours.. about the cam yea, i agree, its a lil big but its together and its all i got for the moment. talked to one of the engine builders over the phone on here where i got my heads..., he said, although not ideal, It'll run and perform fine. so i have gears and a 3000 stall to help me out a lil. I do appreciate everyones input thus far. thank you all. hopefully i can get a video for yall.

You did the right thing with the oil pump...most guys would just use a high burst filter and run it!
Good luck with the break in and then give it hell!!
Brian

Yes,good call on the shutdown. Repair and run!

Nothing wrong with 4" stroke,just need oil control is all....

Well, we got it!! Break-in went smooth! Fired right up, went to 3000 RPM for 30 minutes, the last 5 minutes we varied the RPM from 2-3k. Then brought it down to idle, dialed in the timing, and now she runs and sounds mean! i'm pretty happy about that! Throttle response is very good. Blip the throttle, no hesitations or sputtering or anything. Guess we did something right!

Sure wish I could post a video, I have a couple, but they seem to take 4 hours or so to upload to youtube, or even photobucket?? 1st vid is 6 minutes long, the others are about 2 mins.

Glad to hear you got it running.

The Video's usually start out with a huge amount of time to upload but I have never had one take more than about 25 Minutes. I uploaded the Video of my Twin Turbo Engine on Brian's Dyno from my Iphone driving down the 60 Freeway. It only took about 20 Minutes without a network connection!

Congrats man. It's always great when a plan comes together.

somewhat of a video. hope it works. not the greatest quality.

[ame=http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q274/mopardude318/?action=view&current=MVI_3067.mp4]
th_MVI_3067.jpg
[/ame]

thanks scott! yes the end is near!

64physhy, the 408 is for my 70 dart, which has been put on hold for a long time because I must finish my cuda first, well at least get it all re-wired and driveable.

here is another video, these things take FOREVER to upload to photobucket.

this is right after break-in. :)

my lowly 318 :)

[ame=http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q274/mopardude318/?action=view&current=MVI_3070.mp4]
th_MVI_3070.jpg
[/ame]

Sounds great dude. Glad you were able to find and solve your issue, and get her running. Nothing better than fresh.

Grant

It sounds AWESOME!!! Any chance you can swing by Canada and give me a ride? Lol,jk of course..

-
Back