First time headliner install tips

-

searcher1990

Reaction score
I am going to install my headliner in my 66 barracuda this weekend. I would have messed it up royally had I not watched and looked at all the tips in here on it. both windows are out as I am doing entire car. I installed the headliner insulation tonight and tomorrow night I am going to hang headliner. I figure if I do a couple hours a day I wont get frustrated and quit. Hopefully Sunday I can post finished pics of beautiful new headliner.

Not hard, more tedious than anything... run your bows through your headliner bows sleeves, install bows in interior rood with headliner attached, pull front first, then back, then sides. Few pics of my 61 headliner install. Notice the binder clips I used to secure perimeter as I pulled wrinkles out. Makes it really easy to get wrinkles out. I recommend using a hair dryer to warm the vinyl as you stretch, also helps with wrinkle resolve. The ONLY glue I recommend for this job is Weldwood (DAP) Landau Top And Trim Adhesive for the simple fact it has a high heat rating. Many including me learned the hard way by using non- high heat rated product only to have the glue come loose on a hot day. I have about 10 headliners under my belt, and with the glass out it's a breeze. I have done with the glass in as well, not so easy but doable depending on the car.

Attachments

• 61 Headliner 2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 283
  • 61 Headliner installed.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 278
  • headliner with garnish 2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 259
  • headliner rear, tack strip.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Headliner 1 61 Dodge.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 319
Install the visor, dome light and coat hook screws half way in so they are easier
to locate after installed headliner has them covered from view.
Don't over cut the listing sleeves at the end of the bows. They hold headliner
up thru the curve at ends of the bows. Number one cause of sagging.

Searcher...it's much easier with 2 people working both sides.

Best advice I can give is do not install it in cold weather. Wait till it is warm out like summer. Lay it out in the sun to soften it up while you remove all of the trim. It will go much easier.

Pay someone that knows what their doing is my advice.
Shops I've checked around here want 150 bucks to install.
That's cheap compared to the cussing and bloody knuckles
in a cold shop I would have to endure.
Not to mention a better job and no expense for all the extras
like glues and what ever else.

-
Back