FiTech EFI system

-
I am fixing the exhaust leak at the collector and 02 bung...should be done early next week as I am just getting back to town after being gone most of the week...plus had to get my C02 bottle refilled for the mig welder..

Drove the car to the muffler shop down the street....car still has the slicks on it....

Got a new pung welded in along with getting the other leak fixed...car was missing and breaking up...

got home...pulled valve covers and plugs...everything under the valve covers looked good...plug were very ...very fouled....

cleaned them...put them back in....fired it up.....and plugs are fouled again......sprayed brake cleaner looking for vacuum leak....none....

using a 1/2 wood spacer under the throttle body.../???

is the camshaft causing issues.....230/237 at .050 aint that big...car idles great with 750 DP...

look like I will calling tech on monday....

Drove the car to the muffler shop down the street....car still has the slicks on it....

Got a new pung welded in along with getting the other leak fixed...car was missing and breaking up...

got home...pulled valve covers and plugs...everything under the valve covers looked good...plug were very ...very fouled....

cleaned them...put them back in....fired it up.....and plugs are fouled again......sprayed brake cleaner looking for vacuum leak....none....

using a 1/2 wood spacer under the throttle body.../???

is the camshaft causing issues.....230/237 at .050 aint that big...car idles great with 750 DP...

look like I will calling tech on monday....

that's to bad I have not heard of anyone else having major problems . my cam is 250@50but from what I understand you can use cams from mild to wild . it is probably and hopefully something simple

alright...dam....should have checked one more thing before I stared typing...and someone had to quote me....LOL

Timing was way off...beginning to wonder about that old MP race distributor...second time I had timing problems...but then again..I got a brand new fancy timing light now....

the engine sound pretty nice now..with 34 degrees...instead of 55...lol

Can I use the stock sending unit, with the vent acting as the return line back into the tank?

If you plan on using the command center, yes. But you may want to plumb in a Seperate vent....you have to vent it somewhere.

I worded my question poorly. I meant to ask, if I go with an external FI pump (not the command center), using the stock sending unit, can I use the vent on the stock sending unit as the return? I currently have the vent closed off.

Well you have two bandaid esque issues there.
1. The vent shouldn't be blocked off...but I suppose if it isnt vapor locking already...then its functioning as is, so it may be able to be used...i guess. Its Probably Venting through the neck.
2. In line pumps are not designed for, or good at, pulling fuel up hill. (Oe sending unit)

The correct way to do it is..
Command center with oe pump
Sump the tank with inline pump
Fuel cell with inline pump
In tank fuel pump

Nothing else is "correct"

If you are spending a G on an efi unit...the hundred bucks to upgrade from the frame rail pump kit to the command center or a sump is a fairly silly skimping in the scheme of things

Just out of curiosity, other than vapor lock, what symptoms would occur due to the closed vent? I have an intermittent problem the the car falling off at high rpm, especially 3rd gear after a robust winding of 1st and 2nd gear. The A/F meter indicates the car goes way rich, but it acts like it's starved.

Just out of curiosity, other than vapor lock, what symptoms would occur due to the closed vent? I have an intermittent problem the the car falling off at high rpm, especially 3rd gear after a robust winding of 1st and 2nd gear. The A/F meter indicates the car goes way rich, but it acts like it's starved.

Interested in this as well - I'm considering the Command Center as a better way to deal with my fuel supply... I'm currently using an external lift pump to feed an external FI pump. Although I ran a new 3/8" supply line, the return is the original 5/16" line. The return is plumbed in to the sender in the same way as it looks like the vent lines are (mine didn't come with a vent). The vent in the filler neck should allow the tank to balance pressure.

I have a symptom similar-feeling to what you're experiencing, but at a steady-state cruise mode. I think as long as your vent line is not becoming a restriction when bypassing a lot of fuel back to the tank, it shouldn't be affecting the FPR function. I used a swirl pot arrangement to keep the FI pump supplied, but the symptom exists with or without the pot. I suspect my problem is tune-related, but I'd like to hear how your issue plays out before I drop coin on a new ECM.

Clair

Well you have two bandaid esque issues there.
1. The vent shouldn't be blocked off...but I suppose if it isnt vapor locking already...then its functioning as is, so it may be able to be used...i guess. Its Probably Venting through the neck.
2. In line pumps are not designed for, or good at, pulling fuel up hill. (Oe sending unit)

The correct way to do it is..
Command center with oe pump
Sump the tank with inline pump
Fuel cell with inline pump
In tank fuel pump

Nothing else is "correct"

If you are spending a G on an efi unit...the hundred bucks to upgrade from the frame rail pump kit to the command center or a sump is a fairly silly skimping in the scheme of things

That sounds like an opinion, to me.

Clair and jimmy, are the last 2 questions about vapor lock, wot, and cruise just general questions? Or relating to the fitech?
Jim, it appears you are shopping the unit, so I assume your wot issue has to do with a carb setup?
Clair, same question, do you have a fitech?

Adding an extra vent or return barb to address either issue is not complicated. Just pull the sender and add it there(less risk than welding to a fuel tank) you could probably even epoxy it on.

I can't speak for every single mopar sending unit, but if the system has a vent elsewhere, and isnt vapor locking, then you should be fine

Reset the ECU to the OEM setting ...everything seems to running pretty dam good...just need to do a cold start tomorrow afternoon to see if it works correctly...

Clair and jimmy, are the last 2 questions about vapor lock, wot, and cruise just general questions? Or relating to the fitech?
Jim, it appears you are shopping the unit, so I assume your wot issue has to do with a carb setup?
Clair, same question, do you have a fitech?

Adding an extra vent or return barb to address either issue is not complicated. Just pull the sender and add it there(less risk than welding to a fuel tank) you could probably even epoxy it on.

I can't speak for every single mopar sending unit, but if the system has a vent elsewhere, and isnt vapor locking, then you should be fine

I don't have a fitech system at the moment, my EFI is a multiport system but I'm interested to see if one of the issues I'm experiencing could be related to something other than the control unit. Before I ditch the work I've done to put that system together, I want to be as sure as I can be that I'm not overlooking something simple...

Kicking the idea around of the power adder 600hp system on my turbo slant. I will wait to see how other peoples experience pans out first.:happy1:

Picked up my FiTech 600hp system this weekend along with fuel command center. Really looking forward to starting the install over the Christmas holidays. One thing I can say so far is I am really pleased with the quality of everything!! Hope it works as well as it looks...:eek:)

Let us know how it goes, looks like a good upgrade to me. I wanted to run E85 and tune with a wideband, this would take care of both plus get efi and be able to run the ignition as well. win win win

I have a symptom similar-feeling to what you're experiencing, but at a steady-state cruise mode. I think as long as your vent line is not becoming a restriction when bypassing a lot of fuel back to the tank, it shouldn't be affecting the FPR function.
Clair

I would think that monitoring fuel pressure and the wideband would tell you a bunch here. I can't imagine a fuel pressure / flow problem at "steady state" that does not show up worse at WOT

Supposedly the FedEx guy is supposed to deliver my fuel command center and the throttle body etc. tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I got everything installed. Have a few issues. I was out test driving and pulled into a parking lot, and it died on me. I think what happened was the fuel command center got too hot and boiled all of the fuel out of it. Had to sit there for about 20 minutes until it cooled off and then cranked it over a couple of times and then it finally fired up after the mechanical fuel pump was able to put enough fuel back into the reservoir for the fuel injection pump to get some fuel. I'm not entirely enthused about this development. I'm considering putting an electric fuel pump at the tank.

Got it. I am planning on picking this kit up in the spring but I'm hoping for some power improvements as well. Currently running an 850 thermoquad which runs really strong right now. 1/4 mile comparisons will tell.

How is the off idle acceleration/throttle response?

EFI does not improve HP unless your carb isn't tuned right.

I got everything installed. Have a few issues. I was out test driving and pulled into a parking lot, and it died on me. I think what happened was the fuel command center got too hot and boiled all of the fuel out of it. Had to sit there for about 20 minutes until it cooled off and then cranked it over a couple of times and then it finally fired up after the mechanical fuel pump was able to put enough fuel back into the reservoir for the fuel injection pump to get some fuel. I'm not entirely enthused about this development. I'm considering putting an electric fuel pump at the tank.

What makes you think that is what happened? What did your fuel pressure say?

so how big is this fuel command center thing? that thing looks like a mess. where are you mounting that abortion? i'd spend the money for an in tank set up before i put that thing under my hood.

sump%20tank%20kit%20with%20hose%202%20(800x600).jpg

-
Back