FiTech EFI system

-
I see on the FITECH website that all the sensors are over the counter replaceable parts but can the injectors be removed easily and cleaned if need be or replaced? Just trying to find out how serviceable this unit is if you broke down somewhere.

I did email them in case they have a setup that may work for me. That would be great, a tank already setup fot FI that I can just install an wire up, PERFECT!!! I think $500 is reasonable for that.

We are tanks Inc dealers, there is a tank for your car. PM sent

Really wanna get the 1200 system and fuel centre soon....to bad the canadian dollar is sh$t right now........ugghh that's an extra 600.00

I finally drove to the gas station today and filled up. You can tell the system is learning as you go. Wot is awesome and everything in between idle and wot is smooth and crisp. I'm going to drive the car more tomorrow. I wanted a cleaner look and went with the frame mount pump. I have a new tank with a reproduction sending unit with 1/2 pick up. No issues that I can tell with fuel delivery. Nice and cool right now. Will be about 30 degrees in the morning. Not dreading cold starts anymore.

Really wanna get the 1200 system and fuel centre soon....to bad the canadian dollar is sh$t right now........ugghh that's an extra 600.00

the only thing holding me back is the dollar and it don't look like it will be going up before spring I will bit the bullit around last week of march however .

Jim Jim Jimmy, Summit racing sell Fitech now. You could always put it on a summit speed card for 0% interest. ;)

Jim Jim Jimmy, Summit racing sell Fitech now. You could always put it on a summit speed card for 0% interest. ;)

It's not the interest he's talking about it's the 1.45 to the dollar we have to pay for US dollars right now and they're calling for much worse before it gets better .

Hi everyone,

I'm locking my distributor and i'm trying to confirm if i need an MSD 6530 if i'm using the #30004, or if i can just use an MSD 5520 instead. FiTech help (email) hasn't been great so i'm trying here. Can anyone who has one of the FiTech units let me know:

1. after locking the distributor and setting initial at the distributor by hand (say 15 degrees), do you then just type 15 somewhere into the handheld so it knows what exists in real life?

2. are you able to adjust the idle speed manually (with a screw at the throttle lever) once you've got the initial set? or is this part of the self-learning process? or do you type your desired rpm into the handheld and it drops the rpm?

3. once initial timing and idle RPM are where i want it, am i able to instruct the handheld (a) when (rpm) to start increasing timing from initial, and (b) when (rpm) to reach maximum timing? or is the curve decided via a self learning process?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm locking my distributor and i'm trying to confirm if i need an MSD 6530 if i'm using the #30004, or if i can just use an MSD 5520 instead. FiTech help (email) hasn't been great so i'm trying here. Can anyone who has one of the FiTech units let me know:

1. after locking the distributor and setting initial at the distributor by hand (say 15 degrees), do you then just type 15 somewhere into the handheld so it knows what exists in real life?

2. are you able to adjust the idle speed manually (with a screw at the throttle lever) once you've got the initial set? or is this part of the self-learning process? or do you type your desired rpm into the handheld and it drops the rpm?

3. once initial timing and idle RPM are where i want it, am i able to instruct the handheld (a) when (rpm) to start increasing timing from initial, and (b) when (rpm) to reach maximum timing? or is the curve decided via a self learning process?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Again i extend my offer to help with questions, just please remember to try BluePrint Engines - Crate Engine Manufacturer and click on the "parts" tab for the distributors and EFI systems.

Onto your questions....you are looking at the 30004, which is the boost ready unit that does NOT require a CDI box. Yet, you're looking at MSD boxes (one of which has zero power adder capability)...so, not sure what your goals are there. Again the fitech units (other than the incoming 400hp unit) do not REQUIRE a CDI box. You can use one..but don't have to.

1. exact opposite. After the engine is running, the handheld will tell you where to set your initial timing. You then use a light to set it there, and lock it. the unit now knows where your initial timing it. (Using the boxes you mention above, the unit will operate in fuel only...timing would be irrelivent, so again...lets clear that up with what you're looking to accomplish)

2.there is a manual screw to set idle, and the unit should be able to idle down pretty low, with its learning capabilities. the TPS reads position, and the IAC helps adjust for a nice idle. When making idle changes, we recommend shutting off the unit, so the TPS resets.

3.yes to all....the unit has built in curves, and will self learn, but you can get in and adjust timing, RPM, and so on. You can let it do it's thing, or you can get in and mess with timing @ certain rpm, and what not.

Hope this helps. PM me for my work email or direct line if i can help more.

Johnny-mac.

Last edited:
Vh770, this is a very simple upgrade in terms of efi. It does still take some homework and someone with some basic skills in auto repair. Not trying put down but most of the few complaints I've seen with this setup has been self inflicted. Read and make sure you understand before you start the project. I haven't tried to email fitech but I have called. Most of the time I get someone quick. They are very patient. It'll be the best thing you ever did to your old mopar if you get it right.

How does this control timing on a stock mopar electronic ignition? Does it wire right to the distributor?

How does this control timing on a stock mopar electronic ignition? Does it wire right to the distributor?

Mopar control box is eliminated entierly, and the unit controls timing by itself.. Same principal as wiring in an aftermarket ignition box. Distributor needs locked out to work with the fitech.

how about a cold starting problem?....plus have to keep foot on gas for a minute or so to keep it running once it does fire?

how about a cold starting problem?....plus have to keep foot on gas for a minute or so to keep it running once it does fire?

I've only seen one case so far that a cold start issue that couldn't be resolved by the customer themselves.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605736&page=28 almost halfway down on the page and it goes on to the end of the thread.
Other than that I've seen where all it was is a small adjustment and the issue went away.

Will the Mopar lean burn distributor work with this? It's locked out and has has the rotor phased to be controlled by the original Mopar computer?

Yes it will, your making a regular dizzy do the same thing as a lean burn by locking it out, ie no mechanical advance

I have started mine several times at -25 celcius. Dont touch the gas pedal, turn the key. Once it fires it high idles for a bit, then slowly comes down to your set idle speed.

I can start it , leave it alone, just keeps running.

Ken

Mopar control box is eliminated entierly, and the unit controls timing by itself.. Same principal as wiring in an aftermarket ignition box. Distributor needs locked out to work with the fitech.

Will the Mopar lean burn distributor work with this? It's locked out and has has the rotor phased to be controlled by the original Mopar computer?

Yes it will, your making a regular dizzy do the same thing as a lean burn by locking it out, ie no mechanical advance

If the mechanical is locked either on a regular or a lean burn distributor, can vacuum advance still be used?

If the mechanical is locked either on a regular or a lean burn distributor, can vacuum advance still be used?

NO. Zero advance of any kind. needs to be 100% locked.

I"m seeing some confusion on if/why a distributor needs locked, and if/why any type of external control box (mopar or non) needs to be present.

let me clarify.
All the fitech units (with the exception of the incoming go-street 400 system) Have the ability to FULLY control timing. SO..if you utilize the fitech to control your timing... you can eliminate any form of external control/ignition box, and furthermore the ballast resistor.
This Means: your timing is now completely controlled by the unit. NO mopar box, no MSD box, nothing more than a fully locked distributor...and the fitech electronically advancing and retarding timing.

The distributor needs fully locked so the fitech knows where the rotor is physically (mechanically) at. This is so it can throw big amounts of timing at the engine while at low load, and cruise (sounds similar to a vac advance doesn't it??) and also control timing for acceleration and load (exactly like a mechanical advance would do :) ) it does all this electronically, on its own.

NOW..can the unit run in "fuel only" mode, where another means of ignition control is used?
YES....now having a mopar..not sure why anyone eyeing this unit wouldn't jump at the opportunity to toss the ballast resistor in the trash...BUT if you just shelled out some cash for a fancy MSD box, or DUI distributor, and you like the fact that timing is mechanically and/or vac controlled...then so be it. GM guys COMMONLY leave their HEI distributors, and run the fitech in fuel only....but again I've never had luck with mopar ignition, so it's extremely attractive (to me) to eliminate the factory box, lock the distributor, and let the fitech do it's EFI thing!

Lastly, As i am politely reminded below (thanks!), you CAN retain and run an MSD box for things like multi-spark, while wiring the fitech for the timing control, but it's not at all required. I'm going to attach the instructions in this edit, which will also help with explanation. Not too many guys go this route, but the option is out there. I didn't cite it originally as it's the least common of the three, and it's a little double redundant. especially if you don't already have a box in the car.

hope this helps you guys...again please message me for contact info if you need further clarification.

Attachments

• 30001.30002 Instructionsm 12.9.15.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 451
Not trying to start anything as I am not an expert but, Just to add to the above, You can retain an aftermarket ignition box to fire your engine, even if you want Fitech to control how much timing you use. Their instructions show both without, as Johnny explained, or with an MSD or other ignition box.

For me, I already had my system set up with an MSD 6AL and high Quality Coil, so I am using Fitech to control my timing, but have retained my MSD 6AL box for multi spark etc. I use a locked Mopar performance Distributor.

Should the MSD box fail at some point, I will use the Fitech for everything.

Ken

-
Back