Fitech issues

-
Well I did something right yesterday. I got my 9 year old son cranking while I hit it with the timing light I found where I was which way way off and sparatic. With him cranking and fuel disabled I found where I was and popped the cap off I was almost off #1 and close to 8. So I moved the wires back ccw one spot all the way around and bam. Got a consistent spark right where I wanted it. Put the fuel pump relay back in and boom it fired up. Idled like a dream for about 30 seconds then it went pig rich to the point of black smoke was coming out. I immediately shut it down. My o2 sensor is in the header bung and my exhaust is off from the headers back by I’m waiting on some band clamps to come In I ordered a week ago. So this morning I go out to the garage put the extension pipes on because I want to get it running so I can dial this iac in. Used crap clamps until the good ones arrive. And now it will not start. Timing lights is back to half *** blinking. So I pulled a plug and they are completely fouled. Went to the auto parts store tonight and picked up another set of plugs. Will try again tomorrow.

I twisted the wires like said added a ground to the TB nut. I also went back to the default file and set it back up from jump street before firing. I had only a fan 2 fault code which I’m not using. I checked after running and still no rpm noise fault.

Today however while messing with it I had rpm noise faults my only guess is the fouling is causing the plugs not to fire which is causing high KV in the cap and wires. My son ran off before I could stick an ignition tester on it. But with the light not flashing on the timing light this is my theory.

If new plugs and I still do not get this running or still have rpm noise I’m braking down and dumping this cheap distributor for tsp msd clone or the msd itself. I will need to another one to get running since mine is permanently locked out and not reversible.

I meant to grab some wires from work so I could wire the distributor straight to the hi-6 ignition box. I have the map sensor with the boost dial so I can make this work with what I have maybe. The distributor is my questionable week link right now. I could scope the signal but I do not have a known good waveform to compare it to.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have made considerable progress, anyhow!!

-
Back