Fitech running fat

-
Devo,

Ok so the unit says that it is not running rich. ;) But the plugs say maybe so and the way it runs also maybe.

Do the 2 AFR setting values coincide with the readouts? 13.9 = 13.9 +/- a skosh or is it 13.1 = 13.9? Also WOT. So to try and be sure, go into the controller and adjust the AFR at idle to a lower or higher value and see the readout results.

Also as a check see what the % fuel trim is at idle on the controller, mine is about -29% as it sets.
Its definatly +/- a bit. I have tried to adjust it with no change i will check fuel trim today and see what it is. I am truly at a loss here. Thanks for your time

do you have all the wires shielded any problems I have seen from a fitech was improper installation the wires need to be shielded or you will be getting lots of interference .

do you have all the wires shielded any problems I have seen from a fitech was improper installation the wires need to be shielded or you will be getting lots of interference .
Guy at fitech said if that was the case it would throw fault codes and there arent any

Not trying to side track things here, I have a Sniper system, so NOT familiar with fitech. But I had the sniper “dead headed” from the external pressure regulator like you due to being told the built in regulator would not handle the extra fuel pump volume. Holley and others said it would work. I had an issue I chased with a lean stumble on light throttle changes. It was commanding a ton of fuel in the problem area. I got to the point of putting a carb on. As a last ditch effort I pulled the guts out of the built in regulator ran full pump volume to the tbi with a return to the external regulator set at 58psi which is what Holley calls for. It cleared up every issue I had, went from commanding 80-90 pph to 25- 35. Also you didn’t mention camshaft, 13 degrees initial seems awful low with any type of performance cam. As I stated this was my experience with the sniper.

Not trying to side track things here, I have a Sniper system, so NOT familiar with fitech. But I had the sniper “dead headed” from the external pressure regulator like you due to being told the built in regulator would not handle the extra fuel pump volume. Holley and others said it would work. I had an issue I chased with a lean stumble on light throttle changes. It was commanding a ton of fuel in the problem area. I got to the point of putting a carb on. As a last ditch effort I pulled the guts out of the built in regulator ran full pump volume to the tbi with a return to the external regulator set at 58psi which is what Holley calls for. It cleared up every issue I had, went from commanding 80-90 pph to 25- 35. Also you didn’t mention camshaft, 13 degrees initial seems awful low with any type of performance cam. As I stated this was my experience with the sniper.
Cam is .578 230 dur 110 sep. Ran great at 13* with carb. I dont see how adding any more pressure than the 46 would help with a rich cond. Thanks for the input! I am about ready to go back carb..

I’m not an expert but if it were me I’d temporarily run a return from the tbi and see what happens. Just takes a little time to remove the regulator guts, if it’s similar to Holley, and a return line to see. It can get frustrating. Sometimes we run into issues that “tech” hasn’t seen, or don’t want to work thru. In my case it wasn’t a psi issue but I believe a volume issue that couldn’t keep up with varying demands. Have you installed a new set of plugs also.

Are the IAC steps within the Fitech specs. I would confirm this.

I ran a corvette bypass filter on mine. It was at the back of the car so a short return line is all you need. No issues.

Just read through and wanted to verify the issue.
What is the relation of the displayed AFR vs Target AFR?
1. Is the system aware/displaying that it's rich, but just not capable of leaning down to the Target AFR?
2. Or is the system displaying it's at Target AFR, but is in fact rich?

1. This could be a result of excessive fuel pressure. You have it regulated down to 43psi, but I strongly suggest installing a gauge at the throttle body to ensure it is in fact seeing 43psi. Also where is the IAC?
2. This could be a result of an exhaust leak, or non-optimum O2 sensor placement. Where is the sensor installed?

I’m not an expert but if it were me I’d temporarily run a return from the tbi and see what happens. Just takes a little time to remove the regulator guts, if it’s similar to Holley, and a return line to see. It can get frustrating. Sometimes we run into issues that “tech” hasn’t seen, or don’t want to work thru. In my case it wasn’t a psi issue but I believe a volume issue that couldn’t keep up with varying demands. Have you installed a new set of plugs also.
Yes e3s and there is already a return from the tbi to the reg.
Just read through and wanted to verify the issue.
What is the relation of the displayed AFR vs Target AFR?
1. Is the system aware/displaying that it's rich, but just not capable of leaning down to the Target AFR?
2. Or is the system displaying it's at Target AFR, but is in fact rich?

1. This could be a result of excessive fuel pressure. You have it regulated down to 43psi, but I strongly suggest installing a gauge at the throttle body to ensure it is in fact seeing 43psi. Also where is the IAC?
2. This could be a result of an exhaust leak, or non-optimum O2 sensor placement. Where is the sensor installed?
The system displays its at target afr but still running rich. IACs are 3-4. O2 sensor is 3" behind collector, welded bung. No exhaust leaks anywhere. Thanks for your input!

Is your AFR reading or is it stuck at 14.7 and the exhaust smells and looks pig rich?
I had this happen to me twice and the way I fixed it was I disconnected the battery, shorted the positive and negative cables together (I used a jumper cable) for about 10 minutes. When I reconnected the battery and started it the AFR was back to reading normally and it didn't smell it look rich. Hopefully this will help.

Is your AFR reading or is it stuck at 14.7 and the exhaust smells and looks pig rich?
I had this happen to me twice and the way I fixed it was I disconnected the battery, shorted the positive and negative cables together (I used a jumper cable) for about 10 minutes. When I reconnected the battery and started it the AFR was back to reading normally and it didn't smell it look rich. Hopefully this will help.
The afr is tracking but its definately wrong as its smokes and backfires randomly through exhaust. Ive never heard of shorting the + - together. How does that help? Thanks!

the system is getting a false reading. It’s either an exhaust leak, or a faulty O2 sensor. I would take a close look at the O2 sensor harness, and your headers. This is of course assuming you don’t have a dead/failing cylinder on the other bank pumping raw fuel out..

At idle look into the throttle bores . I had an injector go bad and was dumping fuel into the front left bore at about a cup/minute at idle. 4 carboned plugs (dual plane manifold) and the commanded AFR (14.7) was staying rich (12.5). put a new injector in and problem solved.

The afr is tracking but its definately wrong as its smokes and backfires randomly through exhaust. Ive never heard of shorting the + - together. How does that help? Thanks!
Shorting the cables together (after you disconnect them from the battery of course LOL) will help drain the capacitors in the system and will make sure the system resets. Give it a try, it can't hurt and it worked for me twice.

Let it get up to operating temp, adjust your idle to about 8-900 rpm. Have the IAC at 2-5%. Let us know what happens.

initial caught my attention !!
Its definatly +/- a bit. I have tried to adjust it with no change i will check fuel trim today and see what it is. I am truly at a loss here. Thanks for your time
Have you considered a hotter plug ?????

I ain't no expert but.........

Some big cam engines have problems with a MAP sensor. Google up alpha-N. Is the FItech capable of that? I did not look it up. On Holley, you can operate Alpha-N at lower RPM where the cam is giving the MAP problems, and switch to "density" under better vacuum conditions.

Also it might be just as simple as an in-accurate O2 sensor, or as said above, a bad choice of mounting

I don't think it's an IAC issue. If the system was unable to achieve Target AFR, then I'd look there. Basically the system is happily doing what it is supposed to, adjust fueling to reach it's Target AFR. The problem is, it's not accurately sensing the AFR. Fresh air is being introduced on the monitored bank altering the AFR, the sensor is faulty, or that monitored bank is actually at correct AFR but the other bank has a dead/failing cylinder or other issue pumping fuel into the exhaust. My money says it's an exhaust leak.

-
Back