fixed my steering wheel

-

66Dvert

Working on my custom car parts again!
Reaction score
Because I have a lot more time than money right now I decided to fix my broken steering wheel. I really want to save up for a wood wheel, but for now since I'm getting close to getting my baby down on wheels I figured I better have something to steer it with first.
I used a product called p7 (it's gummy to work with but does harden and sand pretty nice.) and epoxied it after I got it glued together and added the missing pieces. then bead blasted the heck out of it to give it some tooth for the paint to grab on to, ohh and adhesion promoter too!
it' in 2 tone right now waiting on another coat of clear to seal it and final wet sand (I hope)

I still have to wet sand one side to clean it up but it's looking good
View attachment DSCF3011.jpg

bottom side is done wet sanded and ready for clear
View attachment DSCF3012.jpg

here's what it looked like before the fix

View attachment DSCF3015.jpg
View attachment DSCF3014.jpg
View attachment DSCF3016.jpg
here is before color but after epoxy to seal it up. I forgot to take any pictures on the patching process but I followed the directions on a Australian web page to make sure I beveled things and had it prepared ok

I'm still going to get a 15 inch or so wood wheel but this will do until I get it.
View attachment DSCF2882.jpg

Hard to believe thats even the same wheel.. Damn fine job!

Ever thought about going into the business ,that looks great
Moe

Hey thanks all of you for the comments

OLDFARTSDART as for going into business doing that. weellll let me tell you NOPE!
It's to damn hard, you really have to work at getting it to look right and it'd be like working for about a buck an hour. plus I suck at getting the paint to look correct(jagged edges and wavy curved lines). it took 3 tries just to get the vanilla color on and it still could be improved a lot. If it was a single color wheel then maybe it's be easier but 2 tones SUCK. the bad part is I want to do another one (need steering wheel)for the wife's car and it'll be a 1995 brilliant metallic blue (mopar color) which I'm sure will be just as bad to paint. I must be a sucker for hard work

I haven't seen a wood wheel that looks so nice. Great job.

-
Back