flap disc for surface rust removal?

-

Graminizer

The "Big G"
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it's OK to use a flap disc and an angle grinder to remove the surface rust I have on the body of my 73 sport? Or is it better to use a DA sander with 60 grit? I know the flap disc takes off material a lot faster, but it may do damage or very uneven sanding. What have you guys used? Here is a pic of the body in question.

035.jpg

Try using paint eater disks on your grinder. They cost about the same as a flap wheel but wont hurt the metal. Although they do build heat so you gotta work fast and spread out

Try using paint eater disks on your grinder. They cost about the same as a flap wheel but wont hurt the metal. Although they do build heat so you gotta work fast and spread out

Paint eater disc? Gotta pic?

I dont have one on hand since im using my phone. But they look kind of like a sponge but their sort of hard and coarse. My local lowes sells them next to all the sand paper and stuff. Wagner makes the tool called the paint eater and it looks kind of like a router for wood working but uses the 4 1/2" discs like a grinder. They may call them something other than paint eater disk at other stores. Theres one with an arbor sticking out that fit in a drill but unless you have alot of time id go for the grinder lol

Like a scotchbright pad on a disc? I think I got ya.

Ya kind of like that but alot meatier lol think scotchbright on steroids. A scotch bright scuffs and lightly sand but this shreds though paint like well.... a paint eater lol

Media blast is messy and expensive. Guy asked what we all used, not who we used. Paint eater followed by the DA to get the scratches out. Good luck, doesn't look fun to me...I got an entire '96 that I have to strip the clear cancer off of one day.....

They are awesome... where they can go. The hard part is doing a good job on rust where the rotating tools won't go. Even a sandblasting won't get to some areas like inside panels but it gets a LOT more than with a wheel or DA.

-
Back