flat black paint job

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
I have a 74 daily driver Scamp that I need to put a quarter panel on.I did this car several years ago and painted it yellow which I'm sick of.Thinking of just doing the car in flat black.Do you use a single stage with flatting agent or prime with satin clear coat or what?Want to be able to maintain the paint with ease and keep it flat.As it is my daily driver want to keep the $$$$$$ down as low as possible.Possible bumble bee stripe what color?Ghost - shinny black - different color?As I'm old I want the Scamp to look old school
HELP ME DECIDE
By the way it's a /6 with header - 4 barrel - OD manual tranny - black interior
all chrome and trim in real good shape

Flat black with a gloss bumble bee stripe would look cool. I think you'll get diff opinions on how to do it. But I know several people who use a john deere satin black. It looks really good and is inexpensive.

i did mine flat black to hold me over while i get bodywork done, but if it was going to be driven for very long and i didnt have bodywork to do and didnt plan on painting it, i would have done it in satin black for a slight sheen and cleaner look in my opinion.

Flat black with a gloss bumble bee stripe would look cool. I think you'll get diff opinions on how to do it. But I know several people who use a john deere satin black. It looks really good and is inexpensive.
Did some searching and it's JD blitz black

I was gunna do satin with a flat black stripe...but I've been to lazy to try the stripe, lol

Harley makes a nice flat that they call denim. I think it's along the route of a regular black and a satin type clear over it. It's nice and smooth to the touch, so I think it cleans up easy. I know my flat black hood scoop has some weird water characteristics, I think the denim finish is more like a regular paint and may bead water better as opposed to having it stick like a flat might.

Harley makes a nice flat that they call denim. I think it's along the route of a regular black and a satin type clear over it. It's nice and smooth to the touch, so I think it cleans up easy. I know my flat black hood scoop has some weird water characteristics, I think the denim finish is more like a regular paint and may bead water better as opposed to having it stick like a flat might.
Did a quick Google search on this and found that the John Deere Blitz Black looks the same someone painted his touring pack with the JD and said it was dead on to his HD black denim bike

SEM makes a hotrod black wich is a single stage satin black.Looks really nice,works well for hood black outs.

Summit sells a gallon kit that is about $100 bucks

Thanks for all the info I've decided to try the John Deere Blitz over the summer,
Going to buy a quart with the hardener.As the hardener adds sheen I'll try several
different ways using an eye dropper to add the hardener until I get what I want

Tried the johne deere blitz and hated it.On to plan b but don't have
a clue what plan b is yet

Base black, then top clearcoat satin or flat.

x2 Base with Flat clear. They make flat clear coat.

Then any graphics or stripes you do could be taped off then cleared with gloss clear to give a certain look to the car.

Well after much mental debate I have chose to have my bike (2010 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster) painted matte black and lose the Phantom black (gloss with metal flake). I initially wanted the matte black Roadster but didn't get it because of availability issues.

The painter has got me down for Apr 4 to begin the transaction. He told me that he has a additive that he uses in the matte black paints that will not let the paint get a shine. He sprayed a cover with the additive using matte black paint, used a buffer on it and the shine was completely gone the next day. He also washed the cover with straight Tide and a old shop rag and it didn't scratch it. He does a lot of matte black rat rods and he said that he loves the additive because he was having trouble with matte paint getting shiny over period of time as well as durability.

Anyways I thought I might share this.

-
Back