Fliptop gas cap on a Duster

-

marling

Reaction score
Has anyone actually made an adapter, metal or rubber, to mount a fliptop gas cap on a valiant, dart or duster. Help wanted!

Yes, there have been adaptors made. There's been at least a couple members here that were making and selling them. Not sure if anyone is doing it currently. Here's a couple of threads that show the part that you need to make it work...

[FOR SALE] - Abody gas cap adapter

[FOR SALE] - Ask and you shall recieve! (Flip Top Gas cap Adapter)

I have one on my Duster

img_4756-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

I welded a patch panel in my swinger from a 68 barracuda. The adapters are ok but I think they make the cap stick out too far.

20181128_200059.jpg

I have used them on A bodies. I forget who used to make them on here. Maybe a search. I also have one made by someone I use a a Volare also. Different maker.
I llke the deal, looks ool and seals. They just had the proper thing machined out of some kind of hard plastic stuff.

Thanks for the offer but what I need is the adapter. From what I read the material is delrin although teflon may do OK. If I had dimensions I could probably get one machined.

so where do you find the gas cap itself after you buy this adapter?

Flip gas caps are available new and used .
I have 3 or 4 used , I saw a member had 2 listed this week, I believe.
Trembling has one in post #5 on this thread!

Last edited:
I have used the adaptors and flip top on Dusters, I have one now on a 76 Roadrunner F body. I like it myself. A nice flip top is worth a few more $$ than an ugly one, and I have more confidence in a oem one is good condition than a repop from where???? China!??
I think f a flip top added to an A body as a day 2 deal, like adding mags, fancy, valve covers, , etc

I put one on my van, no adapter needed. I just used 1/4 nuts as spacers. Cap seals and you can't see the nuts when the cap is closed.

20190608_100430.jpg

20190608_100420.jpg

20190608_100405.jpg

#damraider make the adapter and sells it on FABO. Here are pics of the one on my 70 Dart GT

DSC01206.JPG

DSC01207.JPG

DSC01208.JPG

another option here
Fuel Cap Conversion Ring : Charger R/T Flip Cap FITS Chrysler Valiant | eBay

i.e use a flip top cap with a none flip top filler tube (cap to tank)
so that you don't have to find a flip top filler tube for a car that never had one.. etc

other alterntive is to get the filler tube off a flip top cap car and customize it to fit where your none flip top tube went. i don't think you need the spacer if the cap rubber can seal against the end of the correct style tube i.e more than 1 way to skin this cat.

other alternative is to take the seal and spring out of the Flip top cap so it fits over a pre existing locking standard cap. you probably need a spacer

but i think you have to take off the locking cap trim to execute this stealth move
the post on an Australian board about this, is now long gone, so i'm working from memory,
the locking cap may well have been aftermarket replacement for a standard twist on.

pity the actual cap is so expensive

Reproduction Charger R/T Flip Top Fuel Cap

Dave

Last edited:
@damraider has them. I believe that is his eBay ad too.
I really like not having a gas cap. If my car wasn’t painted already I definitely would have put the 68 Barracuda patch in.

552CDC69-E604-4F06-B9C6-6F3FA16C0D06.jpeg

AFA8704D-3E5D-491E-A35B-2C149751ABA0.jpeg

BBAB7F94-4043-4CCC-A09B-55075F82688E.jpeg

-
Back