Floor Pans

-

jdavis2

Reaction score
Anybody know what guage metal was used in the floor pans for a '64 valiant? I'm going to try to make my own so if anyone has any tip, tricks or suggestions I'm all ears.
Thanks,
Jeff

How much of the floor do you need? If it's just one or two sections, there's a reputable Ebay seller that sells them for like 59 bucks ea. I bought one for my 73 Scamp. Although I never got around to installing it before I sold the car, it was good quality.

18 gauge and if you get a bead roller and some 18 non galvanize you can make the patches look just like the big money ones for alot less.

How much of the floor do you need? If it's just one or two sections, there's a reputable Ebay seller that sells them for like 59 bucks ea. I bought one for my 73 Scamp. Although I never got around to installing it before I sold the car, it was good quality.
Unfortunately, the '67-76 pans are so different from the '66 and older ones as to be almost useless.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at one of Harbour Freights bead rollers. Looks like it ought to do the job. I hear that something called Panel Bond is the prefered method now day over mig welding in panels. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Is it all they say it is?

Jeff

I have used the panel bond at work and it seems strong but I am old school and would rather weld.

I made these from an old filing cabinet and a bead roller.

Attachments

• lh floor primed sm.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 323
  • rh primed floor sm.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 329
I did these with a used bead roller from Ebay and some flat 18 gauge.

1965barracuda001-6.jpg

For my 65 Dart, I bought the passenger's floor pan repair piece for ~$55. I recall from rockauto, but perhaps ebay. Thanks for relating the idea of Panel Bond. I was thinking of epoxy, but didn't know there were special adhesives for this, and they have been used by Manufacturers for many years. I just need to find where to buy it. I find a lot of web site discussion that I am still reading.

I was planning to butt weld, but fear that for many reasons. First, it is very hard to cut so they butt exactly with no gaps. I have only a flux-wire non-gas welder and it spits a lot. I have done a few small sheet metal butt welds, but that size scares me. I don't want to overlap and weld because it might rust between layers. I am afraid of weld splatter messing up my interior. It would take a long time to protect the dash and glass. Grinding the welds smooth will take a long time and throw a lot of sparks. Using panel bond sounds fastest and best. I read that it also prevents rust.

Unfortunately, the '67-76 pans are so different from the '66 and older ones as to be almost useless.

So true. I replaced all 4 pans in my 65 GT convertible using the later pans well before the early A one were available. Lots of mods but 67-76 pans can be used if that's what you got (or afford).

-
Back