Floorpan Rust

-

Harrison

Reaction score
You could wirebrush it and apply POR 15 or Master Coat. However, your floor is so rusted it looks paper thin in some spots, so there is not much you are going to do to stop it.

Yes it does look thin. What I would do is get a screwdriver and start poking the floor and find the good solid parts and treat them. I would not waste time and money on the parts that your going to have to cut out.
AL

ram250098 is on it. Thats all you can really do. At least floor pans are easy to fix.

I agree. I would get the soft trim out. Turn the seats upside down and work on cleaning / saving those parts. I'd knock all the floor plugs out, sweep, brush , vacuum , whatever, then paint it all with WD-40 The rust will go dormant for a long time while waiting for those new floor pans

The weak spots, should I knock them out? Or should I leave them until I get ready to get them replaced?

The rear passenger side floor panel seems to be in the worst shape. There's a section about 6"x6" that flexes really bad.

The gas pedal looks like it is ready to fall through the floor. I would give serious consideration to fixing that section with some solid metal asap.

Most definitely new floor pan time, my demon's drivers side floors look the same, I'm replacing them tomorrow with sherman pans.

I'd knock all the floor plugs out...
What's the point, just sweep the debris through the existing holes. :toothy7:

Are you planning to drive this car while you are waiting to fix the rust problem? If not, and you just want to stop further rusting, buy some rust converter. Wire wheel the major rust off, clean up the mess, and give it a good dose of converter. It will convert the ferric oxide into a gray or black iron phosphate.

If you want to temporarily fix the holes and reinforce the floor a bit until the final repair, you might consider using some "kitty hair" fiberglass to lay down a layer after a good de-rusting like described above.

What's the point, just sweep the debris through the existing holes. :toothy7:

The new pans dont include plugs. I've lost a few in the trash pile(s).
WD-40 will buy you some time. A gallon can will go a long way for less coin than spray bombs, and its not flamable like oil, a plus when cutting and welding begin.

@Green1: They don't have my year. =/

@Stacked: Sherman doesn't have floor pans for my year either.

@'74 Sport: No plans on driving it. Waiting for a radiator bracket, and then I have to get the money to replace the hoses and transmission lines. And then I have to get the money to replace all the fluids that have drained out.

@RedFish/George: Yep, WD-40 is definitely flammable. I remember setting my old garage floor on fire with it, about 4-5 years ago. :D

I'm going to get a wire brush today, so I can go ahead and scrub the rust off. Don't have anything to put on it yet.

Laysons is the only place that I know of that sells floorpans for my year dart. Anyone know of any other places that sell them? Need it for a '63 Dart 4 Door

dont bother doing anything until you replace the floor.........except park it in a garage or carport (at least)

No oil or WD40...

Nothing you can do really besides cut them out and start prepping for new pans, the guy who had my Dart was driving it with them like that and it needed a trip to the frame machine to get the unibody straightened back up before I installed new pans.

I would cut them out to prevent the rust from spreading and it will also give you a chance to clean out the rails and kill whatever rust is in there while you're waiting for pans.

-
Back