Ford F-150 just smacked my Dart!

-
do you have classic car insurance? if you do then you need to get estimates from where ever you want to go to get it fixed. your company will fix it for you as it was before and then they will go after the other guys insurance company. they will have to duke it out with your company after you get it fixed. if you have regular insurance then it can be sticky as they other guys company will try to say that they will only pay so much on an old car as they feel it is not valued as high as it needs to be in order to get it fixed back to it's pre crash condition.

And this makes all the difference in the world. If it's just basic coverage then the other guys insurance company will pay for it, but with Like and Kind Quality (LKQ) and to them that will be salvage yard parts on a car that is "so old" to them, which may not be up to your standards in the way of chroming, straightness, etc. It's an almost given they will not pay $160 for taillights etc, so the idea of a lawyer might not be a bad idea, if anything to get the other company to cover quality parts, or to re-emburse the full value of parts if you take their check and cover the difference out of pocket for good parts and work. Sometimes, though, the adjuster wants to be a good guy and make allowances for what's available to keep everything out of court, so have a body shop estimate ready on the labor and get the catalogs out when the adjuster comes. A good body shop will fight for you, too.
I had to go through this with a customer's '65 Rambler 770. (He was a**-ended, too, towards the driver's side. The other guy couldn't wait, tried to go around him, and hit him.) The offender's insurance company paid for a bumper, quality piece, straight and freshly chromed, but I had to fight him for NOS taillight and bezel as they were the only ones available for that car and the originals were flawless pre-accident. They still wouldn't pick up the price of a good used quarter, though, not matter how much I fought for my customer. The customer wound up paying for one out of pocket and meeting the insurance company in court.
If, on the other hand, you have classic insurance on the car, turn it over to your company and let 'em fight it out.
The nice thing is, the car can be fixed, even with the stress and adrineline rush you've just received. You and your wife are okay.

Get in touch with our Laysons rep here on the board. He'll getcha what he has quickly without any B.S. bologna inbetween. If he's got it, you got it, no B.S.

Sorry to hear about this. That is a fear we all have, getting hit in our classic cars. I hope you have a smooth and easy claim.

Thank you all for your nice comments (yes, the guy should have gotten a ticket for stupidity) and for making me feel so welcome into the FABO family.
We were talking to our Farmers agent a couple of weeks ago about classic insurance and were just waiting on quotes. Isn't that ironic.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know what the heck is going on here with all the people getting hit. For some reason, it seems that late summer Aug/Sept is always the worst in regards to accidents. Maybe people are just dazed by the end of the summer?

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know what the heck is going on here with all the people getting hit. For some reason, it seems that late summer Aug/Sept is always the worst in regards to accidents. Maybe people are just dazed by the end of the summer?

And Confused. :-D

I bought repop lenses from Van's Auto Salvage last November. I don't have a web address, but the phone is (920) 324-2481. They're in Wisconsin. $275.00 for the pair. Expensive, but if you need both, it's cheaper than the earlier quote I saw posted here... Good luck!

Having never been in an accident before, I would like some procedural advice and/or suggestions from those who have. Thank goodness the guy has insurance. Obviously I need to get some pictures today but then what? Do I just start getting estimates from body shops? Do I call his or my insurance companies? I know it sounds silly, but I just don't know.

I don't want to get screwed over by an "at fault" Chevy lover in a Ford truck. Now that the initial shock has worn off...I'm pissed!

:cussing::angry5::banghead:

Call your agent & get the police report. Injuries? = Lawyer
Haven't heard from my yard connection yet today, pics yet?

Good news! I went to Garrity Auto Body for an estimate, and it turns out that they are the preferred shop for the Ford turd-head's insurance company. I am on the fast track now -- the body shop already faxed their estimate to them and they don't even need to send the adjuster out.
It's pretty much a done deal. Yesss!
They are ordering in a replacement bumper from Chrome Works, LH & RH tail lights from the Paddock, and will R&R the rear valance and repaint. They said the work would take about 4 days to complete.
I went to the chiropractor this morning for an adjustment; it helped.

Thank you to everyone, and thanks to 64dart170 for checking on replacement parts. FABO is the best!

Brian

monitor their work carefully. they may try when you are not around to cut corners useing cheaper parts and methods. you paint needs to match make sure it does!

Brian

man did you get hurt?? remember your injury might not seem bad now but later it can hit you hard. wouldn't hurt to check in with family doc as it it could be more to than it seems to be now....

GEEEEEEZ Brian...... that sucks !
just got back in town and saw this thread !

Not fair.... classic mopars get nailed and the crappy cash for clunkers get turned in with perfet bodies ! sheesh

Garrity Blvd will treat ya right. Glad its working inyour favor and not the other way ! I have been in quite a few accidents and luckly enough the Duster (while complete) hasnt been involved in any. It did take a 30mph bumper smack in the back before I started restoring..... amazingly it only needed a bumper.

Let me guess..... you were in meridian in all that construction !

Sorry to hear it..... hey.... your physical status may still be a issue down the road ! the effects from a rear end collision can take a toll years later.... make sure you get some chiropractic payments from that fools insurance for both you and the wife !

...still need to hook up... dang being busy all the time !

-Scott

RPM

Good news! I went to Garrity Auto Body for an estimate, and it turns out that they are the preferred shop for the Ford turd-head's insurance company. I am on the fast track now -- the body shop already faxed their estimate to them and they don't even need to send the adjuster out.
It's pretty much a done deal. Yesss!
They are ordering in a replacement bumper from Chrome Works, LH & RH tail lights from the Paddock, and will R&R the rear valance and repaint. They said the work would take about 4 days to complete.

Thank you to everyone, and thanks to 64dart170 for checking on replacement parts. FABO is the best!

Brian

Well, then, it seems things are looking up for you. That's always good news.

Glad you guys did not get hurt, but take it from me, if you have ANY neck pain whatsoever, don't hesitate to go get checked out and get it on the police report and inform your insurance company.

I have lingering neck and nerve issues from a whiplash incident that occured years ago.
I tried to be a tough guy and shrug it off although I could barely turn my neck at the time.

Big mistake.

So very sorry to here about your car, man that just blows. I'm leaving for the Nats in the morning let me know if I can look for something for you.

Thanks DusterN73, but it sounds like the body shop is ordering everything for me. Bumper from Chrome Works, tail lights from The Paddock, ect..

Thanks for offering though...you guys ROCK! :rock:

Oh, and I will be scheduling follow up visits with the chiropractor and will make some for the Mrs. as well.

Thanks again, Brian

Wow, very sympathetic.

I guess I could of put more. Glad to hear you and your wife are okay. I was in a car accident back in March and I had some back and neck pains, like the others said, don't hesitate to go and get checked out...sometimes the pains are there for a bit and vanish by themselves and sometimes, they don't.

I'm sorry to hear, it's a real pain to deal with. FABO sure is a big help though. I got hit recently so I know how you feel. At least the damage is repairable, coulda been worse. It's good advice to really watch the body shop every step of the way...they may be 100% honest and capable but it's always good to check everything with your own eyes. Good luck!

It's good advice to really watch the body shop every step of the way...they may be 100% honest and capable but it's always good to check everything with your own eyes. Good luck!

Thank you for the tip! :thumbup:

so it has been a little while now.....what is the scoop? is the car back fixed? any pictures?

.... i would make a bet its still in the shop. Parts had to be ordered etc.... I am sure Brian will show pics when its all done and pretty again... at least he better... nice DART !

-RPM

-
Back