Formula for TDC & lift?

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
is there a way to figure out the TDC checking height for lift?

i would like to know before i tear it down so i can get my reliefs right...

Yes, Take the cylinder to TDC and use a very light valve spring and measure amount the valve can be depressed. Take measurement and devide by 1.5 (or rocker ratio) for static cam lift, give yourself some wiggle room for inaccurate rocker ratio and rod stretch. ie. a .510 lift cam has a .340 cam lobe lift. (.510/1.5=.340) Is this what you are looking for? If you are depressing and hitting at .540 and you are running a .620 lift roller then you have to cut .080 reliefs. If you do this without a head gasket you should be able to use your figures right on, with the .03x head gasket providing the wiggle room clearance.

Yes, Take the cylinder to TDC and use a very light valve spring and measure amount the valve can be depressed. Take measurement and devide by 1.5 (or rocker ratio) for static cam lift, give yourself some wiggle room for inaccurate rocker ratio and rod stretch. ie. a .510 lift cam has a .340 cam lobe lift. (.510/1.5=.340) Is this what you are looking for?

yea that should work! i guess you need what... .055 for clearance at max lift and tdc?

at max lift the piston is no where around tdc....the valve to piston clearance needs to be check during the over lap period of the camshaft.....

Are you talking about piston to valve clearance? Because it isn't checked at TDC!

http://www.racingheadservice.com/Information/Technical/PistonToValveClearance.asp

at max lift the piston is no where around tdc....the valve to piston clearance needs to be check during the over lap period of the camshaft.....

to both yes i know max lift isn't anywhere near TDC... but cam cards sometime come with a checking clearance where you install at TDC and are able to see where your at...

Timing a camshaft.

http://www.iskycams.com/degreeing.php

It's exhaustive reading but it will teach you how to do it right.

i dont think i made my self clear... i already degreed in my cam @ 102 which is +4 from the 106LSA

anyways what im trying to figure out is if i add 1.6 rockers, upping valve lift after lash from .465 to .525 weither i'll need reliefs in the pistons and how deep...

ive never had to check before...

Put the 1.6 rockers on and then check the piston to valve clearance like I referenced in my first post. That will tell you if you have enough clearance, or if you need to flycut the pistons.

It can be tedious but if you have a piston with no valve reliefs and you think you're close this is how I do it: Put a little Dykem on the piston roughly where the valve will hit and on the edge of the valve. Install the head with a "known" compressed (used) gasket and rotate the engine with the degree wheel bolted to the crank, checking springs on the #1 valves, and dial indicator on the retainer. The intake valve starts to open during the tale end of the exh stroke. So starting at .005 lift on the intake lobe I'll measure the distance by measuring and recording the amount of free space by pushing the intake valve down vs the cam's lifting action. Rotate the crank 5° and do it again... That distance will decrease as the piston continues up the bore and then starts down. Repeat until the distance begins to increase following the smallest reading. Then repeat with the exh valve. When the head comes off, the valves will have marked the piston top where they touch, and the valves will have been marked from the contact so you can see where the tight spots are. I do that because it's not always easy to make a deeper relief in a factory piston and you don't want to remove any more than necessary. The closest point on the intake is usually after TDC on intake stroke, and a fast rate lobe can make it worse. You want .080 on the intake, .100 on the exh.

I'll add the clay method works well too, and I use it if I know I have some clearance but I'm not sure how much. I had trouble with clay pealing up and not getting a clear picture of where they needed to be, so I started doing it this way when I know I'll need relief work.

Also - go very slowly and if they hit, stop and record the lift and degee so you can figure out the reliefs.

-
Back