Found Out Some Info on my Car, Now Im Torn!!!

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here! Some of you may know that I'm and early A body lover, with a special spot for the 66 models! I have a 66 Cuda that I built for the wife, but she says its too hot (and noisy) for her to drive, so she would like a convertible! She likes the color (she picked it), the look, and likes the way it drives, so I decided to buy a convertible 66 Valiant Signet and do a clone of the Cuda for her, same color, same motor, same trim...everything!!

Well, today I decided to try to call a former owner, getting their names from some paperwork I found in the glovebox! Found their number and called it, low and behold, they answered and it was them! After talking with the husband for a few, he told me something I hadn't known about the car! Apparently, it is an original Commando car, and he has a picture of the build sheet he is going to send along to prove it! So, long story short, now I'm torn about the direction I was going to go with it!!

I know, I know, its my car and I can do anything I want with it, but do I now change all the trim, the dash, the grille, the color, everything I was going to do with it and make it a one of none 66 Barracuda convertible, or would it be more interesting to people to see what must be a pretty rare car in its original form? I'm by no means fond of the original color, which is a burgundy with the lower 2 tone silver/grey rocker treatment! But I'm more torn over swapping all of the Signet trim over to Barracuda stuff than I am about a simple color change!!

Not looking to be swayed one way or the other, but I would like to hear what would interest you, the Mopar afficianado, as to what would interest you more when looking at a car on the fun field, a rare original car, or an otherwise rare car done up the way I was going to do!! Any input will of course be welcomed!!

Discuss!!!..... Geof

For me I guess it would depend on how much of the car is original. If you didn't know it was a Commando I'm guessing it's probably missing the key components. I'd build it how you want it unless it's a 4 speed.

Well, if you wanna leave that one a commando just buy another 66 vert for your convertible barracuda:)

Mark, the car is almost completely original! It has the sway bar front end, the original 8 3/4, bucket seats, console, the original krinkle valve covers, and the former owner says he has the original air cleaner setup that he is going to send me, along with any pictures, documents and assorted parts that he has from it! The Cuda I have is not a commando car, but it has a correct 66 commando motor in it that the bride paid to have redone, so that was always going in to the convertible anyway! The convertible has a 1970 318 in it right now, which is the reason I called him in the first place, to see if I could get some info on anything that was done to it! The convertible is the original color right now, but not the original paint, it was repainted years ago and is faded and needs redone again!

It was also an original 3:23 SG rear, but that wore out and was replaced with a 2:76 open! Its an automatic floor shift car!! What say???

Well build it the way it would make you and the wife happy. If you think the car should be put back to stock form. Then sell it to someone that will do that and buy something else.

Well, if you wanna leave that one a commando just buy another 66 vert for your convertible barracuda:)

So, you know how I operate!!! :) Unfortunately, you also know that I don't have room for anymore cars, nor the time to do 2 more projects!! Heck, I'm slow out of the gate with this one!! I have all the parts, just need to get some steam up!! Geof

I really like the '66 Valiant Signet models & my family had a burgundy one. It's pretty cool that it's an original 273 commando convertible but that is insignificant to even Mopar enthusiasts. Either direction is a good choice but it is always good to keep the queen happy- so Go Blue!

Hmm... Time for an addition? ;) wish I'd have the time n money I'd come up after the Nats and help ya get a jump on the valiant!

Dang, you know what I would say but...........build it the way you want. I need to find a Dart with no prominence so I could build a hot rod. Catch my drift? lol Mike

Build it your way- yes a Commando ragtop is rare- but a Formula S Barracuda convertible is even more unique- I would like a 65 like that- one of my dream phantoms
We are not talking about big $ B or E bodies here- on eof the reasons regular folks like me prefer the A bodies- I like your idea- go for it!!!

My car is an original commando car. I'm building it the way I want it. It didn't have the motor when I got it. If it was all original I'd most likely have left it stock.

Do it the way your WIFE wants. She is the one that needs to be HAPPY !

Yeah what he said. ^
If it is pretty original and in fairly good shape, I'd mostly restore it but with some upgrades in the suspension to make it drive even better. Bolting on cuda trim isn't all that difficult to reverse but Signet trim and paint is something else.

Commando cars had that single large resonator coming out the back on the driver's side with the appropriate cut-out in the lower valance.
I vividly remember when I bought my first 67 cuda. It was a non-Formula S with a Commando 273 and a 4 speed. When the used car saleman first fired it up with me on the outside and I heard that exhaust, I couldn't wait to sign on the dotted line. Hearing that with the top down would be something.

I'd ask her to make the call.

I say do it how you want to.

I like the idea of keeping less common cars stock and leaving the custom and one of none jobs to the common cars.

Can you post a couple pics of something similar to what you have in mind? Between the vert and the cuda that is.

After seeing the picture, my mind is made up. LOL!

1. It's your car (or your wife's) so do it the way you two would be happiest.

2. I think the original commando would be really sweet. That would be my choice, I even like to color combo.

if the wife is happy Everyone is happy!!????????????????????????
or as wiufe No. 2 said, " I always get what I want!", and N0.3 said, the man pays for everything," there will be no wife NO> 4!! LOL

I do not see the car being worth big bucks so do what you want with it.If it was a survivor that may be different.

-
Back