Fresh 360 Valve Train Noise.....

-
I appreciate all the help. Anyone ever change a cam and lifters while still sitting in a D100? Haha[/QUOTE]

yep....can be done it will come awful close to the center brace on the rad support but it will come out
used to fit my *** on the inner fenders as I worked...of course I was 20 then....now at 50 not so easy

That Castrol is not zinc rich. The camshaft is probably toast, unfortunately.

Let the air out of the tires, or remove the wheels entirely. Prop the hood waaay up and wear a padded hat,lol. A week of sit-ups helps too.
Bahahaha, the thought crossed my mind but I'm too stubborn. I love my old crappy Blue friend too much

20180610_170456.jpg

That's the best looking grille ever in a Dodge truck, IMO.

I got 225/75-15s on my '84 (looks a lot like yours, except regular box) which are over 31" tall. If I don't do one of those, I gotta use a two-step ladder, and you know how that goes; I never seem to put it in the right place,lol.

Yours looks like a million bucks;
mine? $1.98.
She's a work truck; survived a decade of hauling firewood.

I appreciate all the help. Anyone ever change a cam and lifters while still sitting in a D100? Haha

yep....can be done it will come awful close to the center brace on the rad support but it will come out
used to fit my *** on the inner fenders as I worked...of course I was 20 then....now at 50 not so easy[/QUOTE]
Well gang, my Comp cam is wasted. Wasn't even opening No. 1 cylinder and made the lobe almost completely round......I've ordered a new Mopar .474 purple shaft and will be diligent on the cam break-in this go round. I'll post some pics of the cam.

No details about the specific cam were given in the original post....... but when you said it was a “.484” cam, I think most of us “assumed” it was a MP cam.
Now it sounds like it was a Comp cam, and you’re replacing it with a MP cam?

Easy way to tell on the original if it was MP or not.
The MP cams aren’t parkerized, so the lobes are shiny instead of black.

Just make sure you clean the engine out reall good, and check for proper lifter rotation with the new cam before buttoning everything up.

No details about the specific cam were given in the original post....... but when you said it was a “.484” cam, I think most of us “assumed” it was a MP cam.
Now it sounds like it was a Comp cam, and you’re replacing it with a MP cam?

Easy way to tell on the original if it was MP or not.
The MP cams aren’t parkerized, so the lobes are shiny instead of black.

Just make sure you clean the engine out reall good, and check for proper lifter rotation with the new cam before buttoning everything up.

Problems.....

Resized952019013195192615952653.jpg

It def takes more care and the proper procedures and parts to have success with flat tappet cams these days.

Everything that came off the lobe and lifter went somewhere it shouldn’t have.
You’ll want to get as much of it as possible out of the motor.

Yours is what they “usually” look like when they’ve failed that bad, but I recently saw one that appeared to get work hardened after it had failed, and instead of that really rough torn up finish, it’s like it started polishing itself smooth.

166C7823-6871-42BA-9249-A35AF116EA5A.jpeg

Last edited:
Yours is what they “usually” look like when they’ve failed that bad, but I recently saw one that appeared to get work hardened after it had failed, and instead of that really rough torn up finish, it’s like it started polishing itself smooth.

View attachment 1715283764
Hyup I've seen many lifters just like that.

I'd pull the engine and start over, no way you can clean that up after running it as long as you did....sorry.

I'd pull the engine and start over, no way you can clean that up after running it as long as you did....sorry.

I agree 100%. That's a lot of metal in that engine.

-
Back