From the pasture; The valiant story of my '66 Valiant

-
Overall, the radiator is in about what shape you would expect a fifty-four year old radiator to be in, if said radiator was stored under the sea. Its just old and in need of some love. I like the idea of keeping the original one vs putting in a new shiny one. Hope that doesn’t bite me in the *** later, but for now, here we go, a couple before photos.

View attachment 1715477433

View attachment 1715477434

View attachment 1715477450

Now as I wrapped up, and began to sniffle (although I didn’t know what was coming) I looked back at the Plymouth and thought that in true lieutenant Dan form, she aint got no LAHAIGS. So lets fit some for giggles.

View attachment 1715477435

View attachment 1715477451

Man those look cool. Im going to have to switch the larger tires out, but I do like the look. Well that’s all for now, Constant Reader. I apologize for leaving you for so long. I hope you forgive me; I never meant to do you any harm. I hope that I can post updates more often, depending on how long it takes for my floors to come in and my radiator to return. In the meantime Ill finish my brakes and tinker on the small stuff.

Bring on the warmer weather!
Ge
Great thread! Love it

Love em

IMG_20180629_114320 (3).jpg

IMG_20181018_101848.jpg

IMG_20190524_201521.jpg

I do like your writing style. Your build thread is entertaining. PM me if you need any help figuring out how to do those floor pans. It's not super hard. I have lots of tips to help you.

Thanks! I am swimming in water I dont completely understand when it comes to floor pan replacement.

Last edited:
So....not a fan of 66 a bodies but....this thread has been super entertaining to read and, I want to personally thank you for posting this.... it has given something to do at work for the last 45 minutes!!! Lol. Now it's getting closer to lunch, and that means it's getting closer to the end of the day...so thanks!!!

So....not a fan of 66 a bodies but....this thread has been super entertaining to read and, I want to personally thank you for posting this.... it has given something to do at work for the last 45 minutes!!! Lol. Now it's getting closer to lunch, and that means it's getting closer to the end of the day...so thanks!!!

Hey, glad I could help!

Absolutely love this thread. I only just recently caught the early abody bug. I bought mine last may when looking for a decent project car I could fairly easily get on the road. Wound up picking up my Nevada born 63 Dart. I will be following your progress. Keep up the great work. Loving these little cars more and more

Jc95qtK.jpg

dSB8TCB.jpg

Floor pans from AutoBody Specialties arrived, in a very beat up box, with corners of the pans sticking out all over. I get that its not easy to box and ship pans. Especially pans of this size. AND I get there are not a lot of A body floor pan options, so I am not complaining.

Much.

BUT.

When you charge extra to box them up, you'd think you could at least pretend you didn't stuff them in a box, throw them down a nine floor mail chute into the awaiting arms of percussively inclined gorillas who play intricate drum solos on them before letting a kangaroo power kick the box out the door. Luckily, the pans were only bent on the corners, allowing me to easily straighten them, so that's good. They are MUCH larger than the floors in my car, which I assume is due to them fitting many different cars. All that means is I'll get to practice my trimmin, and I would rather have too much metal than too little. I hope to start old floor removal this weekend, after mucho estudio.

I think old floor removal will be easier than trimming the new floors down to fit in the holes, but since I can't weld (sometimes people say they "weld for sh*t", well I weld worse than that) I don't want to make big mistakes I can't easily correct. I say that to say this, progress will be slow, as I will learn as I go.

You know what they say, "Measure nine times, step away, come back, measure again, delete that line you just made because you really aren't sure that's the correct measurement after all, measure again, remark it, right were you marked it the first time because you should just believe in your self, cut once.

Well they don't always say it just like that.

But I'm saying it with this.

More to come!
JwYX52BP2Sk

Last edited:
Since i wasn´t sure whether the 64-65 pans would fit and my neighbor had some spare sheet metal and a bead roller , i made my own. Trim the new pans to fit. Cut the old pans out slightly smaller. Self tapping screw the new pans in place tightly. Cut through the old pans around the outside edge of the new pans with an air saw , Mark the frame rails on the bottom of the new pans and drill for plug welding . Clean everything up and spray frame with weld thru primer . Screw back down tightly and weld it up. I did the same with the spare tire well . 2 door post , new floor metal and MP frame connectors its solid as a rock now.

IMG_20180105_131535.jpg

IMG_20180105_131535.jpg

So this weekend, I head back out. Opening the door, the Plymouth stares at me, mouth agape, as if surprised I finally came back to work. Close your mouth boy, you're attracting flies.

View attachment 1715351698

Once installed, it looks SO MUCH BETTER. I will have to do a bit of adjustment it appears.

View attachment 1715351699

View attachment 1715351700

I then moved to the real purpose of my trip out, to check my valves (more on that later) and drop the tank. I have a spiffy *** brand new one ready to go in. I lift and secure the rear, and climb under to release the tank strap and drop the tank. I had been soaking all the bolts ahead of time, so removal wasnt very bad. Once you lower it, you have to undo one fuel line, and one plug to the sending unit. I have been told to salvage the sending unit or at the very least the capture ring holding it in, as apparently the Chineese do not speak "Plymouth Fuel Sending Unit" and have been unable to re-manufacture one that actually sends you any real data. To drop the tank you also have to undo three screws holding in the fuel filler neck as well plus a vent line. All done, the tank drops free. I mistakenly breathe in and am immediately assaulted with the noxious odor of very very old rotted gas. Luckily the tank is empty, save the fumes. Gagging i drag it out and toss it on my tailgate for surgery. 36 brain cells die in the assault on my olfactory senses. RIP ye brave men.

View attachment 1715351701

View attachment 1715351702

A few tippy taps of the hammer and the locking ring swings free. I add it to the pile of things I need to sandblast and clean up at home. A little prying and I get my fuel sender out. Wow. Guess that is a lost cause too. Plus, the tank is rotted around the hole for the sender. Off to the nearest dumpster you go!

View attachment 1715351703

View attachment 1715351704

View attachment 1715351705

View attachment 1715351706

Off to the junk pile with tha lot of ya! So also super nasty and super corroded is the filler neck. I guess i can wire brush this clean maybe and soak it. Dunno, but the only one i found online was $75 on ebay. That buys a lotsa cleaner I think.

View attachment 1715351707

View attachment 1715351708

So since it looks like this Canadian made jewel will have to wait for another day to go in. Back in the box with ya!

View attachment 1715351709

So since I can't install the tank lets look under her skirt shall we? Don't mind me ma'am, I'm a doctor. I would snap my glove, but I don't wear them. Doesn't feel the same.

View attachment 1715351710

View attachment 1715351711

View attachment 1715351712

Well obviously everything under here is old. No rot, plenty of rust. I go ahead and lubricate up all the brake line fittings, shock bolts, etc. Im pretty sure ill just throw all the brake hardlines out and replace them anyway. I suppose now would be the time to find a gasket for that rear end, open it up and change the fluids as well. I don't think I'll replace the leaf springs, but i suppose if i wanted to now would be the time. ($99 per side)

Now lets go see if i really do have a bent push rod like he said.

Parts:

• Rear Shocks
  • Brake Hardlines
  • Brake Softlines
  • Gasket for the axle
  • Fuel Sender
  • Fuel Tank insulation
  • Smarts to not adopt pasture projects
What is the story on the orange bug with the v-8

Did I see a broadcast sheet under that rear seat?
Make sure you save that as history of the car.
It will be paper thin and old so be careful!
I like the Cragars, the white walls, not so much.
Keep up the good work.

There is a family the runs a bug similar to that in the GRM ( grass roots motorsports) challenge...they do very well.

I've really enjoyed this thread. You are quite the story teller for sure!

I'm sure you will get those floors in just fine. If not just stand back and close one eye, now they won't look half bad...

KXvUA2J.jpg

It has begun.

For sale: Most of the original passenger front floor from 66 Valiant. Heavy Patina, Some assembly required, may or may not contain all pieces.

$5000 for just this part of the floor, car not included. No low ballers, I know what I got. I saw a Plymouth on that one auction show that one time that sold for like $250,000 and it had floors too. So my floors should be worth close.

#pleasetellmeyouspeaksatire

Thats odd that the floor pans from autbody speciaty didnt fit. I had good luck with mine for a 66 dart. Seems like a lot of people recommend them as well. I guess the valiant has slightly different floors in the front. I thought it was just the rear floor section is a bit shorter due to the wheel base difference.
Kudos to you on making your own. They look great.

Its an ill fated VolksRod project I aborted. I am not a fabricator, and it ended up being way more than I wanted to deal with. Good look though.

View attachment 1715484338
That bug is cool, If you were closer we would be talking about it.

On your floor pans, they are just sheetmetal, cut and bend them to fit, once you do one side, the other will go easy.

ACT 1 SCENE 1

FADE INTO SHOT OF PLANET EARTH

CUE VOICE OVER

In the dark, dystopian future of 2020, on planet Covid-19, the world was burning. (I mean it is Texas, and summertime) People were wearing masks (well sorta), taking food to go and hoarding toilet paper. The world came to be run by the controlling class of "essentials" working dozens of hours a day, with no time for anything else, your author included. Projects lag. Weight is gained. Frustration mounts. The more fortunate people sat at home and collected $600 extra a month to play Xbox. It was a confusing time. It was a bleak time. A time in where there were but two glimmers of hope.

To go cups of magic party liquor, and one patient '66 Plymouth Valiant. Hi again Madam Valiant, good ta see ya.

9fR6VDw.jpg

Here we continue the Valiant's, valiant tale.

When we last left our intrepid explorer, he had just finished stabbing a jewel in the Valiant's butt and turned his attention towards the floors. Let's join that story, already in progress.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT SHOP. RISING SUN REFLECTING ON FRONT BUMPER;
'66 PLYMOUTH. RUSH - LA VILLA STRANGIATO PLAYS.

As you remember, the front floors of my Plymouth were much akin to the automotive version of swiss cheese and were about as solid as a water bed during a 1970's era coke fueled orgy. Much like the memories of those days, these floors gotta go.

(editors note: Coca-Cola, and the author was like 5 in the 70's)

3ye1On4.jpg

IcfWmpl.jpg

Pro tip: For this job you will need a very precise set of premier tools.* This will guarantee your absolute success!** Get on my tool level.***

*not premier tools

**fake news

***I have no level. I don't honestly know what that means.

KBFfLPY.jpg

Before we go any further, you should know, I am not a professional. I do not play one on TV. I don’t even watch professional people fix cars. I cant even spell car. So that being said, Immaboutta (that a word?) do my best. You don’t like it? See the lady up front for your money back on your way out.

BUT

I do like tips and constructive criticism. Okay anyone left? Couple back in the corner? Good. Return your seats to the upright position, and fasten your belts. It’s a short flight, but may be entertaining.

jTKL8GK.jpg

So gathering all my nerve, and some new cut off wheels, I started the slow, arduous process of removing the old metal. Some of it came just right on out. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Mostly because it was falling out already. I didn’t so much as cut it out, as basically assist nature in removing it.

Ill be honest, most of it was me being worried about cutting out too much, so I cut out too little, then went back and cut more. I probably could have been a bit more brazen with my old floor removal, but several things occurred to me at once.

· I like my fingers, yes, all ten.

· I also like my eyesight.

· Why the rush?

So with those three things in my head, I continued to plug away most of the day removing the floor. The tough parts came when I had to break, bend, chip and chisel the metal off the cross member and supports. That stuff did not wanna give up the ghost. But I am persistent. My teachers would say stubborn. My ex-wife would say bullheaded. (And other unmentionables. – Ed.)

But they aren’t here, so I care not for their opinions. I talk too much. Time for pics in no particular order.

HYuzHn9.jpg

9uGCQCK.jpg

f8Vo4Gi.jpg

In my quasi haste, I nearly cut that. I came very close.

7NiJCgi.jpg

After several hours of patient cutting, trimming, measuring, cutting again, swearing and sweating. I had a hole I was proud of.

*insert off color joke here*

AtVMui6.jpg

Time to repeat the process on the MUCH worse drivers side. Although, argument could be made that its much better, since there is less floor to cut. I may have to think on that one a bit. For the sake of brevity, lets just fast forward a bit, eh? One thing of note I should mention is my oft mentioned hatred of bees, wasps, any form of flying @sshole. Well once again, I found myself having to rehome this precious, delicate species. I dunno how they even got in there, then it hit me!

I don’t care.

Out they go and destruction continues!

XC7ZYII.jpg

NuzkbTf.jpg

sqj3fSf.jpg

Hmm. Trim around this or remove and use the new metal with new holes? Thinking its gonna go bye bye.

f5nqSGW.jpg

Well the day drew long, I got hot and tired, and I took less pics. I think you get the picture. Many apologies. But when its dusk and a quick glance over your very dirty shoulder makes the Plymouth resemble a floating spaceship plus you then begin to observe an odor best described as rust and armpit singing an off key duet, its probably time to go.

So as I decided I didn’t want to attend this hellish opera any longer, I closed up shop and went in search of a much needed a shower and a cold drink. Possibly simultaneously. That means tomorrow is another day, chock full of opportunities to mess something up on a Grand Mal scale. Can't wait.

Until then Constant Reader, until then.
X5coiET.jpg

TRANSITION TO OVER HEAD SHOT OF DUSTY PICKUP LEAVING SHOP, ELBOW ON WINDOW SILL. FOLLOW FROM A DISTANCE, GAINING ALTITUDE. FADE OUT.

END SCENE.

Join us tomorrow as our intrepid explorer woos the alien women on planet DEMDAMNSHINYNEWFLOS.

Next on: "One broke fool and his Plymouth!"

Only on Espn 8 ~ The Ocho.

cvCWigH.jpg

Last edited:
ACT 1 SCENE 1

CUE VOICE OVER

In the dark, dystopian future of 2020, on planet Covid-19, the world was burning. (I mean it is Texas, and summertime) People were wearing masks (well sorta), taking food to go and hoarding toilet paper. The world came to be run by the controlling class of "essentials" working dozens of hours a day, with no time for anything else, your author included. Projects lag. Weight is gained. Frustration mounts. The more fortunate people sat at home and collected $600 extra a month to play Xbox. It was a confusing time. It was a bleak time. A time in where there were but two glimmers of hope.

To go cups of magic party liquor, and one patient '66 Plymouth Valiant. Hi again Mr. Valiant, good ta see ya.

View attachment 1715558690

Here we continue the Valiant's tale.

When we last left our intrepid explorer, he had just finished stabbing a jewel in the Valiant's butt and turned his attention towards the floors. Let's join that story, already in progress.

DISSOLVE TO:

As you remember, the front floors of my Plymouth were much akin to the automotive version of swiss cheese and were about as solid as a water bed during a 1970's era coke fueled orgy. Much like the memories of those days, these floors gotta go.

View attachment 1715558740

View attachment 1715558691

Pro tip: For this job you will need a very precise set of premier tools.* This will guarantee your absolute success!** Get on my tool level.***

*not premier tools

**fake news

View attachment 1715558692

Before we go any further, you should know, I am not a professional. I do not play one on TV. I don’t even watch professional people fix cars. I cant even spell car. So that being said, Immaboutta (that a word?) do my best. You don’t like it? See the lady up front for your money back on your way out.

BUT

I do like tips and constructive criticism. Okay anyone left? Couple back in the corner? Good. Return your seats to the upright position, and fasten your belts. It’s a short flight, but may be entertaining.

View attachment 1715558693

So gathering all my nerve, and some new cut off wheels, I started the slow, arduous process of removing the old metal. Some of it came just right on out. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Mostly because it was falling out already. I didn’t so much as cut it out, as basically assist nature in removing it.

Ill be honest, most of it was me being worried about cutting out too much, so I cut out too little, then went back and cut more. I probably could have been a bit more brazen with my old floor removal, but several things occurred to me at once.

· Why the rush?

So with those three things in my head, I continued to plug away most of the day removing the floor. The tough parts came when I had to break, bend, chip and chisel the metal off the cross member and supports. That stuff did not wanna give up the ghost. But I am persistent. My teachers would say stubborn. My ex-wife would say bullheaded. (And other unmentionables. – Ed.)

But they aren’t here, so I care not for their opinions. I talk too much. Time for pics in no particular order.

View attachment 1715558694

View attachment 1715558741

View attachment 1715558742

View attachment 1715558695

After several hours of patient cutting, trimming, measuring, cutting again, swearing and sweating. I had a hole I was proud of.

View attachment 1715558696

Time to repeat the process on the MUCH worse drivers side. Although, argument could be made that its much better, since there is less floor to cut. I may have to think on that one a bit. For the sake of brevity, lets just fast forward a bit, eh? One thing of note I should mention is my oft mentioned hatred of bees, wasps, any form of flying @sshole. Well once again, I found myself having to rehome this precious, delicate species. I dunno how they even got in there, then it hit me!

I don’t care.

View attachment 1715558697

View attachment 1715558698

View attachment 1715558699

Hmm. Trim around this or remove and use the new metal with new holes? Thinking its gonna go bye bye.

View attachment 1715558700

Well the day drew long, I got hot and tired, and I took less pics. I think you get the picture. Many apologies. But when its dusk and a quick glance over your very dirty shoulder makes the Plymouth resemble a floating spaceship plus you then begin to observe an odor best described as rust and armpit singing an off key duet, its probably time to go.

So as I decided I didn’t want to attend this hellish opera any longer, I closed up shop and went in search of a much needed a shower and a cold drink. Possibly simultaneously. That means tomorrow is another day, chock full of opportunities to mess something up on a Grand Mal scale. Can't wait.

View attachment 1715558701

TRANSITION TO OVER HEAD SHOT OF DUSTY PICKUP LEAVING SHOP, ELBOW ON WINDOW SILL. FOLLOW FROM A DISTANCE, GAINING ALTITUDE. FADE OUT.

END SCENE.

Join us tomorrow as our intrepid explorer woos the alien women on planet DEMDAMNSHINYNEWFLOS.

View attachment 1715558702
Brother...I don't know what you do for a living but...you should be doing some writing...

Great read! But hey man we know that Tx could be hotter, it was 115 yesterday in Phoenix!!!

You know you need somemor water or Gatorade, when the seat flows down your leg into your boots like a small river?? Dehydrate?

Mom always cautioned me to look out for heat stroke, as she would say " We can't afford a funeral and the relatives would think bad of us for a cremation"!!!

ACT 1 SCENE 1

CUE VOICE OVER

To go cups of magic party liquor, and one patient '66 Plymouth Valiant. Hi again Mr. Valiant, good ta see ya.

View attachment 1715558690

Here we continue the Valiant's, valiant tale.

DISSOLVE TO:

View attachment 1715558740

View attachment 1715558691

*not premier tools

**fake news

View attachment 1715558692

BUT

View attachment 1715558693

· Why the rush?

View attachment 1715558694

View attachment 1715558741

View attachment 1715558742

View attachment 1715558695

View attachment 1715558696

I don’t care.

View attachment 1715558697

View attachment 1715558698

View attachment 1715558699

View attachment 1715558700

View attachment 1715558701

END SCENE.

View attachment 1715558702
"Valiant effort" on the car save. Nice read, interesting that the torsion bar cross arm remained healthy.

-
Back