Front drums HELP, it's been way too long since I've messed with them

-

AlaskaJeff

Reaction score
I have been going through my newly acquired 70 Duster and the brakes are next. 4 wheel drum. It's still small 4x5 bolt pattern, 7/16 20 studs and the drivers side has been converted to RH thread. Pulling the front drums the drivers side drum came off the hub while the passenger side drum and hub were one unit. So I had to remove the bearing retainer nut to pull that side. Which is correct? Does it matter? Should I get both sides matching or just run them like they are. Pictures for reference. AND yes, It's running 1" wheel spacer/adapters
converting the 5X4" bolt pattern to 5X4.5" It was like that when I got it.

Brakes1.jpg
Brakes2.jpg
Brakes3.jpg
Brakes4.jpg

Really does not matter. What does is make sure when they are cut the drums are the same diameter or you can get a pull on one side while braking. Not severe but it bugs me.

Really does not matter. What does is make sure when they are cut the drums are the same diameter or you can get a pull on one side while braking. Not severe but it bugs me.
Thanks. They are both 10" I plan on replacing the bearings, should they be the same on either side?

Replace the inner bearing seals when you replace the bearings. If required, all the brake hardware is available new. Check online. 65'

AlaskaJeff, looks to me that when the studs were replaced from left hand to right the swedge stud that holds the drum to the hub was removed. Common and no problem at all.

Thanks. They are both 10" I plan on replacing the bearings, should they be the same on either side?
Drum diameter I like withing .020 between them. I know I will get crap for this but in the old days we always matched them during a brake change and then nthe shoes to them good luck with that now. And even the new drums shout be at least slightly cut to make sure they are not out of round which most are. @mobileparts I am sure has dealt with that a bunch.

Last edited:
Drum diameter I like withing .020 between them. I know I will get crap for this but in the old days we always matched them during a brake change and then nthe shoes to them good luck with that now. And even the new drums shout be at least slightly cut to make sure they are not out of round which most are. @mobileparts I am sure has dealt with that a bunch.
Agreed. I big mismatch on diameter can cause pulling to one side after the brakes heat up.

-
Back