Front Sub-frame Swap

-

Carl G.

Reaction score
New Guy here. Have a '68 Barracuda notchback, 6 cyl. Have a '77 Valient 4 door, 318 car. Can I swap the entire front sub-frame from '77 to '68 in order to change to V8 and disc brakes? My guess is not but I need confirmation. Thanks in advance, Carl G.

Brakes, yes.
The rest of the suspension no, easier to buy conversion mounts.

If it's a valiant (67-76) the whole k member, steering linkage, brakes, control arms, etc. will swap over to your barracuda

73-76 has the spool motor mounts. Easier install IMO.
I think you can swap the rear end too. Barracuda is prob a 7.25 and since the 76(?) is a V8 its most likely an 8.25 and will have large bolt pattern.

New Guy here. Have a '68 Barracuda notchback, 6 cyl. Have a '77 Valient 4 door, 318 car. Can I swap the entire front sub-frame from '77 to '68 in order to change to V8 and disc brakes? My guess is not but I need confirmation. Thanks in advance, Carl G.

You don't mean Volarie do you?? You can make the steering knuckle fit, but that is about it. You need to back up a couple of years and stick with an "A" body.

I'm probably wrong about the Valient's year model. i'll go out and check it. Had it for years. i got conflicting answer about whether the whole sub-frame would fit. i'd really like to swap it like that in order to get the disc brakes, large bolt pattern, and the V-8 torsion bars all at one shot. if it'll fit, the rear end and springs will go to the '68 also. is there any problem with doing it from the bottom with engine and transmission in place?

if its a 77 Volaire (Fbody) = NO as it uses a completely different kframe setup with isolated kframe from the frame rails with integrated transverse torsion bars completely on the Kframe itself.
76 Valiant = YES completely

if it says Valliant on the fender its a 76 or older.
Snap a pic of the car and post it.

IF its an F body Aspen/Volare you can still use the spindles and brake stuff.
No F body suspension parts will fit an A body.

In the Mopar world a subframe is the frame rails, etc that are WELDED into the body structure. Most likely you are referring to the K member that bolts onto the subframe with 4 large bolts. This holds the engine mounts, steering box, lower control arms, etc. You can see the bolts from the bottom. If keeping the 6 you do not have to remove the engine/trans but they need to bd supported.

Yes, it is a direct swap. Are you planning on keeping the /6 in the cuda or swapping in the 318? Either one will work but the motor mounts are different. If keeping the 6 you'll have to obtain spool type /6 mounts.

Swapping from a 7-1/4 to an 8-1/4 rear affects the drive shaft length. Also I believe a 4 door has a longer wheelbase than your 108" WB cuda so that also affects drive shaft length. Its a simple bolt-in swap but you need to have the right combination of parts.

-
Back