Front Suspension Modifications

-

71GSSDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I looked around and can't seem to find a list or pictures describing what was done to the front suspensions on these cars. I may be confusing Pro Stock, but I thought they (race teams) gun drilled all the bolts, drilled holes in everything, plated lower arms, adjustable strut bars, etc Are there pictures and listings of what was common to lighten these up? I talked in length with the Tignanelli brothers, but the Shadowoods car is over the top. Curiosity mostly.

9 inch spindles and brakes,

Chrome molly Tube the K member, And for extra loss remove the motor mount from the k-member go to an engine plate. Also easy pan removal.

Slant 6 T-bars, or coil over shocks. The latter gives you Big tube header room.

Swiss cheese the UCA's,

Replace strut rod bushings with Heim ends they thread right on the old fine thread strut rods and can be adjusted using a lock nut.for quicker weight transfer.

Titanium bolts where you can.

Rack & pinion is the most weight loss facing the ball joints toward front for front mount rack. Your also making room for those big tube headers. No steering Box or steering linkage and you don't need the steering box mount on the K-member Big weight loss right there

Heim ends for tie rods.

Some things we did in the past. Now you can buy a complete tubular front light weight race suspension and Strange light weight race brakes

Steve 120 - Copy.JPG

100_0061.JPG

206.JPG

9 inch spindles and brakes,

Chrome molly Tube the K member, And for extra loss remove the motor mount from the k-member go to an engine plate. Also easy pan removal.

Slant 6 T-bars, or coil over shocks. The latter gives you Big tube header room.

Swiss cheese the UCA's,

Replace strut rod bushings with Heim ends they thread right on the old fine thread strut rods and can be adjusted using a lock nut.for quicker weight transfer.

Titanium bolts where you can.

Rack & pinion is the most weight loss facing the ball joints toward front for front mount rack. Your also making room for those big tube headers. No steering Box or steering linkage and you don't need the steering box mount on the K-member Big weight loss right there

Heim ends for tie rods.

Some things we did in the past. Now you can buy a complete tubular front light weight race suspension and Strange light weight race brakes

View attachment 1716041917

View attachment 1716041918

View attachment 1716041919
Awesome! Thank you Sir

Anyone have pics of the "Swiss Cheese" work they did back in the day? I have 2 K members in the works

In the day they did not let us to do that what year are you want to copy I raced these cars and maybe can help

I have my bumper brackets we swiss cheesed. They now sell everything in aluminum for rear bumper. The new front ends the grill and bumper are molded in with the fenders. You just use the plastic halo headlights from a new jeep.

Thank you Sir. I am researching the 72-76 mostly as Dad raced my car from 73-76ish. I just bought the rule books for those years. I can't do anything to the car that can't be also undone as it is a true GSS Mr Norms Demon my Dad bought new. I found it in a barn in 2018 after 34 years. This is also a street driven car. I talked with Herb McCandless yesterday and he gave some insight as to how to make the suspension work better and be safe. I am going to see him in June at his place and want to take as many pics as I can also. I would love to build a full SS replica with another body and want as much info as possible while using some on my Demon too. Thank you!

Thank you Sir. I am researching the 72-76 mostly as Dad raced my car from 73-76ish. I just bought the rule books for those years. I can't do anything to the car that can't be also undone as it is a true GSS Mr Norms Demon my Dad bought new. I found it in a barn in 2018 after 34 years. This is also a street driven car. I talked with Herb McCandless yesterday and he gave some insight as to how to make the suspension work better and be safe. I am going to see him in June at his place and want to take as many pics as I can also. I would love to build a full SS replica with another body and want as much info as possible while using some on my Demon too. Thank you!
A true GSS ? I would ground up restore to original with as many NOS parts as possible. . If you want to sell it contact me.

A true GSS ? I would ground up restore to original with as many NOS parts as possible. . If you want to sell it contact me.
Thanks, but the car is not for sale. Dad bought this new and it was lost from 1982 until 2018. It is a day 2 car. Dad blew the motor in 1974-75 amd installed a 440. I have the tunnel ram 440 in it but am collecting the parts. I have an original Mr Norms 6 pack (carbs, intake and air cleaner) and have a guy with a block. Restoring back to 100% has been a huge debate. The car is unrestored, repainted 1 tine in 1982. I had the hood done. Interior is 99% stock original. At MCACN show in Nov 2022, while in the Mr Norms booth, I couldn't believe the response I got for having the car as it is.

20221120_225316.jpg

20221120_224650.jpg

20221118_181535.jpg

20221118_181528.jpg

20221120_150620.jpg

20221119_131108.jpg

image000001(49).jpg

The Bostonian had some pictures on his thread of swiss cheese lca's also. This will be an interesting thread if it can get filled up with some detailed pictures.

The Bostonian had some pictures on his thread of swiss cheese lca's also. This will be an interesting thread if it can get filled up with some detailed pictures.
Agreed. I will be by Herb McCandless this Friday. I hope to discuss in length and get a bunch of pics.

Couple pics. I have a more. He is a great guy. We will keep in touch.

20230609_121118.jpg

20230609_110041.jpg

20230609_110037.jpg

It was amazing. Just the 3 of us for a few hours and then out to lunch for a few more. Great stories and time.
That is very awesome. The announcer at the small time track out here in Yakima WA was listing off some of our heroes of racing and I was really surprised at some of the drag racers.
He didn't mention sox & martin or herb but if you get to bs with him again maybe ask him, because I know garlits, muldowney, Prudhomme, Landy and many others.

Come on thread....take off, let's see the dang front end modifications (more)

Come on thread....take off, let's see the dang front end modifications (more)
When I was by Herb, the Demon has an E body K member and everything was cut off the frame and moved side to side ans reversed to make it Pinto rack and pinion front steer. Otherwise it appeared mostly stick. Gun drilled and parts turned thinner, but appearance was close to stock. Not like many others.

-
Back