Front tire height

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Hi guys, I currently like the way my duster is setup stance wise front and back, but I will be going to 18s now and I want to go to a bigger front tire, height wise. I want to go from this 24.5in (205/60/15 tire to a 26-27 in front. What do you guys think? Can I fit a 27 or 28in tire? The main issue right now is that with the current look, the TTI headers are 1-2 inches from the floor, I was hoping that taller tire would help with clearance before I had to raise the torsion bars. Thanks!

Attachments

• 12122843_10154254237648858_7562904014169823231_n.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 488
They must not be tti headers if there one to two inch from the ground. or there for a different vehicle.

They must not be tti headers if there one to two inch from the ground. or there for a different vehicle.

Is this sarcasm? I purchased the headers. I know what they are lol. The torsion bars are only 1/2 inch off flat bump stops.

25.6" is about it on stock fenders. This is your 225/60-15, 245/45-17, 275/35-18 size tire.

Yes, I believe the 275/35 will be the max now from what I have read. Of course people have gone bigger, but that is for drag racing. I might have to raise the front of the car and it makes me sad. What it is, is that the motor mounts although are poly, sag from the weight of the car. I am hoping when I go to GST or HDK that this goes away.

I just found this http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969823213#post1969823213

255/40 in front is a 26 in tire

26's.

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 423
  • 10247442_10204960777208567_5789213035223384309_n.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 396

Yes, but your wheel center in lower than his and he didn't want to change the ride height.

Maybe raise both ends, and at least that way he could fit bigger tires, have more ground clearance AND still keep the basic stance.

The streets where I live SUCK and that is what I had to do.
They suck so bad I have bottomed the K with 1.03 bars on the damn residential streets but not on speed bumps in parking lots, so what does that say about our streets? :D

26" is about as tall as you can go in the front with a wider tire like you want. Even the 255/40/18's probably will require you to max out or even extend your lower corner fender to bumper brace and/or trim the lip on the corner back at a 45* angle. I had to do both of those to get my 275/35/18's to clear, and they're only 25.6" tall. It does depend on the offset of the rim too, which is why you can run the taller tires if they're skinnier because they can be further inboard.

And of course ride height is a huge factor as well. With my 275/35/18's the tops of my front wheel openings are at 25" off the ground. I have a little under 1" from the frame to my .375" tall bump stops. I have just under 4" to my Doug's headers. The Doug's have about an extra 3/8" of ground clearance compared to the TTI's. Then there's another 1/2" of clearance because of my taller tires, and some additional suspension ride height because I can tuck the tops of the taller tires without going as low.

I've actually dropped the rear of the car a little since this picture, the front is about the same height. But you can see the tops of the tires are slightly above the wheel opening in the front, as well as where my headers are compared to the ground.

IMG_2055_zps5frhndco.jpg

FST73, do you have a picture of your car on level ground. After looking at that picture again it seems like it would have a pretty severe rake.

I think I see what you are talking about, but not at the moment

I'm currently running a 26.4" tire on a 17" rim and could have gone taller...But I'm running a HDK "Slammer". I am adding 18" over the winter and going with 27" tires, not for header clearance but to fill the opening a little more.

Attachments

• 061.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 350
I'm currently running a 26.4" tire on a 17" rim and could have gone taller...

But how wide are they?

The problem is that as the front tire gets wider it catches the bottom front corner of the fender when you turn. My 275/35/18's are only 25.6" tall, but were catching the lower front corner as the wheels turned out. When the wheels are straight ahead there's plenty of room.

But how wide are they?

The problem is that as the front tire gets wider it catches the bottom front corner of the fender when you turn. My 275/35/18's are only 25.6" tall, but were catching the lower front corner as the wheels turned out. When the wheels are straight ahead there's plenty of room.

I built new strut bars for the lower fender front corners. they are 1/2" aluminum rod with tie rod ends that thread into each end. I adjusted both corners out 1/2" farther then factory and presto i have tons of room.

215/55R17....about 8.9" section width.

That'll do it. My section width is 10.9".

I built new strut bars for the lower fender front corners. they are 1/2" aluminum rod with tie rod ends that thread into each end. I adjusted both corners out 1/2" farther then factory and presto i have tons of room.

I did the same thing but I cheaped out. I had an extra set of bars so I just made some cuts and welded up a longer set.

IMG_1950_zps72a4664c.jpg

Younggun, what size tires do you have on your car? I saw over in the suspension section that you said you had 28s out back and 26.5s up front. But what sizes/width?

That'll do it. My section width is 10.9".

I did the same thing but I cheaped out. I had an extra set of bars so I just made some cuts and welded up a longer set.

IMG_1950_zps72a4664c.jpg

Looks like it does the job! I woulda prob done that but mine were all bent up

Height looks good! But I want width too, minimum 255, but 275/35 looks best

275/35R18 = 25.4"-25.7"...not really getting you to where you need to be, I would buy a good proven coil over suspension then build around that.

275/35R18 = 25.4"-25.7"...not really getting you to where you need to be, I would buy a good proven coil over suspension then build around that.

Why?

The coilovers don't change the fender opening. They don't move the frame. They don't raise the inner fender. In fact, they won't change one single thing about the overall tire clearance if you're running 18" rims, just maybe the offset on the rims you're using. But the "box" that the tire has to fit in is exactly the same.

Why?

The coilovers don't change the fender opening. They don't move the frame. They don't raise the inner fender. In fact, they won't change one single thing about the overall tire clearance if you're running 18" rims, just maybe the offset on the rims you're using. But the "box" that the tire has to fit in is exactly the same.

-
Back