FRUSTRATED! need help with carrier swap

-

naus360scamp

Reaction score
8.75 rear, ok so i changed out my carrier 489 case 323 mini spool for a 489 case 3.55 cone type suregrip unit. the problem im having is the driver side axle shaft wont go in all the way i hit something when its about a half a inch from being in completely. my question is where did i go wrong? do i need to shorten the axle shaft or what/ im stump! the driver side can go in all the way and bolt right up no problems. thanks in advance:newb:

To make a long story short I ran into the same problem with a brand new pair of Yukon axles. There is a "block" (I can't remember the proper name of it) in the middle of the carrier that needs to be removed. This requires the carrier to be disassembled. Instead of doing that I took the axles to a machine shop and had 3/8" cut off each axle. Came home and installed them without problems. Been that way for years now. I guess that isnt the professional way of installing the axles but I didnt want to have disassembled the carrier.

Sounds like the cone splines and the side gear splines are not lined up! Take a large bar and turn the alxe a little bit till it will go in, you may have to tap on the end as you turn it. You need to lock down the other axle so it doesn't turn while your trying to get that alxe in.

To make a long story short I ran into the same problem with a brand new pair of Yukon axles. There is a "block" (I can't remember the proper name of it) in the middle of the carrier that needs to be removed. This requires the carrier to be disassembled. Instead of doing that I took the axles to a machine shop and had 3/8" cut off each axle. Came home and installed them without problems. Been that way for years now. I guess that isnt the professional way of installing the axles but I didnt want to have disassembled the carrier.

This may be the problem also if your using after market axles. If they are original equipment they should go in.

Sounds like the cone splines and the side gear splines are not lined up! Take a large bar and turn the alxe a little bit till it will go in, you may have to tap on the end as you turn it. You need to lock down the other axle so it doesn't turn while your trying to get that alxe in.

Are they stock axles? If so reference the above quote.

Aftermarket axles? Here's a pick of a 3.55 you can see the block it has little dimples in the centre and the stock axles had little poppets to match. This one is plastic and i don't think would be to hard to get out:yawinkle:.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 400
If it has a slug in between the axles just pull the axles and pull the carrier out and take a magnet and pull that baby out or just push it out with a dowel rod. Use a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer when banging on the axle ends. Reassemble. Done deal.

Aftermarket axles? Here's a pick of a 3.55 you can see the block it has little dimples in the centre and the stock axles had little poppets to match. This one is plastic and i don't think would be to hard to get out:yawinkle:.

The floating pin is steel and will not pop out, you have to take it apart and remove it on the cone type Sg's

the axle can go in the gears in feels like its hitting something. do i still try and tap it in? and how do i lock the other axle shaft from moving?

where could i go to get this done?

Bolt a wheel/tire on the other side and let it rest on the ground. Next turn the other axle a little at a time while pushing or tapping on the end of it. It won't turn easy, it is a Sure grip after all, right. I have had this problem when a cone type SG was taken apart and then put together without using axle stubs to hold the teeth in line while bolting them together.

If all else fails, stick a rod or something you can measure the distance from the axle button to the flange and check that measurement to the distance the axle is sliding in untill it stops.

There should be enough spline on those axles for some trimming.

they are stock as far as i know

OK, if they are stock follow previously mentioned directions on securing the opposite side. What is happening is there is two sets of splines you are encountering, the first one slips in and the other one is probably not lined up, so inward pressure and rotation should pop it in there.

Try measuring it as suggested.

Cone splines not lining up would be more than a half inch.If you have green bearings you probably need to remove the spacer

The splines are not lined up in the carrier DON'T CUT ANYTHING!!
Install a tire on the side that is in and put it on the ground.
On the there side take your longest pry bar and rotate the axle forward or backward in doesn't matter and push in or have a buddy tap with a hammer.
It will go in,just turn and tap.It may take a little force but keep working with it.

When you turn the axle it will take a little force because it will be tight.

good luck:burnout:

Cone splines not lining up would be more than a half inch.If you have green bearings you probably need to remove the spacer

im gonna try the other way people are telling me but if that doesnt work how do i even know i have a spacer on it and how do i take off the bearings? i know you need a special tool to get out the end but how do i do this if the shafts not in? clamp it in a vice?

Bolt a wheel/tire on the other side and let it rest on the ground. Next turn the other axle a little at a time while pushing or tapping on the end of it. It won't turn easy, it is a Sure grip after all, right. I have had this problem when a cone type SG was taken apart and then put together without using axle stubs to hold the teeth in line while bolting them together.

im gonna give this a shot when i go back to work on it.

i also dont know if this is normal. when i turn the side thats in i can turn it backwards all i want but when i turn it forward it goes like 1 full rotation then locks and cant be moved. its not attached to the driveshaft yet or any thing is this because of the suregrip unit? or? thanks for all ur guys help im new at this stuff.

If they are stock axles then there shouldn't be any problem getting them in following the directions above. However it sounds like you have gotten one axle in and the other will not go.....same problem I had before I had mine cut. I can't remember how much mine lacked before the axle would seat but you want to cut off a little more than not enough. I believe it was the same amount as yours since I went with 3/8" off each axle. Unless you want to make two trips to the machine shop. lol

Anyone with a horizontal bandsaw that uses the milky coolant will work. That type bandsaw has a clamp on it to hold the axle straight as it slowly cuts through. Notice the end of the axles how they are tapered at the splines. You want the axles to be the same way before installing them. I want you know that the Yukons was too long. I believe Yukon has corrected this problem now.

-
Back