fuel gauges

-

curber

Reaction score
So is the a way to test a fuel gauge with a multimeter before I put it in my instrument cluster in my 65 Valiant .Just wondering or do I just have to put it in

you can check it from post to post with ohm meter. That would tell if the winding is still good. Wont mean its an accurate instrument.

use a potentiometer (rotary knob) or common resistors in series to emulate the sender resistance and see what the gauge shows. 73 (+- 13) Ohm resistance should read E and 9 (+-1) Ohm resistance should read F (@6V) I dont believe the resistance scale is linear but you can test sender with multimeter. New senders are $27 Ebay. The resistance is from 6V+ through gauge to resistors to ground. Dont put 12V through gauge, youll fry them.

So checking it post to post would there be a reading. I have never done this before but I kinda get it. I will let you know how it goes when I get the gauge I should get it soon in the meantime I will get the old one out and test the sender tomarrow.

Without checking accuracy with power supply, resistors, etc..,
ohms across the gauge with a meter will be either 13 ohms or 20 ohms ( they aren't all built the same ). I don't know which a 65 Valiant has without pulling the book out.
If the gauge winding is open ( infinite reading ) our if either post is common to any other part of the gauge there's no need for further testing. If you find what looks like fine ground black pepper in the bottom around the needle pivot, it may or may not pass the first test above. Even if it does pass, it's not going to live very long or be anywhere near accurate.

To calibrate my fuel gauge, I first made sure I had the correct voltage to instrument cluster. made a solid state Reg. Then with new sender out of car connected wiring with test jumpers to blue wire going to tank. Put a Variable resistor in line to blue wire. Observed reading on gauge at different levels by just moving the float up and down. Half a tank was off some so i adjusted resistor to get correct reading. Checked at full etc. Then removed varible resistor and checked with ohm meter. Just installed fixed resistor in line to match the reading on variable. same with Temp Gauge. Same idea. Works very good.

-
Back