Fuel Injection Recommendations

-

71GSSDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, if someone was going to convert to fuel injection on a 440 in a Demon, what system would you recommend and why? No power adders, just a fun, hot street car.

*** Edit

I am meaning to compare fuel injection setups, not a comparison of carb vs EFI

Last edited:
Old Pro-Jection 4D...Uh, never mind. Although they actually worked without a laptop, an NOS carb would cost the same and work as well. I was blown away when I actually installed a brand new NOS carb (Not rebuilt) on a motor. That thing started right up cold with one pump, rock solid fast idle, came off the fast idle as designed and idled butter smooth at 600 RPM. Carbs wear out even though they have few moving parts. EFI is awesome when its set up correctly on an adapted motor (440) but there is a learning curve. Some of the newer TBI styles will tune themselves. Good luck, weight the costs against a NEW carb.

I have a tunnel ram and 660s now. I love the set up. Have some rebuilt Holley's to pick from. Just trying to get peoples thoughts as to what systems are currently a good set up, tunability, user friendly, etc

I have a tunnel ram and 660s now. I love the set up. Have some rebuilt Holley's to pick from. Just trying to get peoples thoughts as to what systems are currently a good set up, tunability, user friendly, etc

See post #2. lol

Old Pro-Jection 4D...Uh, never mind. Although they actually worked without a laptop, an NOS carb would cost the same and work as well. I was blown away when I actually installed a brand new NOS carb (Not rebuilt) on a motor. That thing started right up cold with one pump, rock solid fast idle, came off the fast idle as designed and idled butter smooth at 600 RPM. Carbs wear out even though they have few moving parts. EFI is awesome when its set up correctly on an adapted motor (440) but there is a learning curve. Some of the newer TBI styles will tune themselves. Good luck, weight the costs against a NEW carb.

Really not fair unless you compare the entire fuel system. While I agree some carburetors don't build well, the vast majority do, so that makes the cost for EFI......even TBI that much more of a stretch.

There are a multitude of threads on this topic, my personal opinion is Holley. They have invested heavily in the technology with serious RnD money as a result of the LS platform. This was not the case a few years back. I have a 440 with MS3 EFI On it which at the time I felt was superior to Holley platform. The last one I did a 72 Demon I went Holley and could not be more pleased. Not for the feint of heart and there is a lot of hidden cost regardless of the system you choose. Holley for the win. Just my opinion.

I run fitech with my w5 headed 340 stroker.

Planning to switch to holley sniper when i stuff the 400 stroker into the dart.

340 and fitech will move to the 96 dakota

If you have something wild enough to run a tunnel ram and 2x 4's I would not screw with the TBI systems such as FI tech or Holley Sniper. I'd want to go right up to a port injection even if it's batch fired instead of sequential. Just my opinion. There are ways to make 2x TBI systems work together and guys have done it. But the HP computer used with the Holley "larger" systems are much much more versatile.

So far as I know, Holley has basically 3 "computers." One is the built into Sniper one, next the HP computer which is used in pretty much everything else except Dominator, and then that last one which adds a lot more capability over the HP features.

ok guys. I understand the carb thing. I have several and a few intakes/setups that can be used to keep it simple with a carb or multiple carbs. I was just asking specifically, of the current offerings, who has experience with what set up, what do you like/dislike about it, would you rather had bought a different set up, and why.

Really not fair unless you compare the entire fuel system. While I agree some carburetors don't build well, the vast majority do, so that makes the cost for EFI......even TBI that much more of a stretch.

Rob,

Maybe I was misunderstood. I didn't want to compare fuel injection setups with carb set ups. I wanted to compare the current fuel injection setups amongst themselves.

I picked up my fitech when they were relatively new. (2015 or 2016) I had to buy a carb and for near the same price i could go fuel injection.
I did have a few issues with the external fuel pump so i made a tank for an aeromotive stealth internal pump.
Later the 02 sensor messed up so a stock vw sensor went in.
I just ran new ptfe fuel lines from tank to engine bay to replace the pushloc because i was getting worried about them.
I do have a slight issue with the hand held, but it does what its needed.

The only reason i am considering holley stealth for the next unit is mainly because of the name and possible connection to digital gauges on the dash. Just the metric speedometer is holding slowing me down. Also dont have the 400 stroker built yet.

Definitely a Holley ecu like the Terminator with individual injectors (mpfi) thru a single plane intake with a 4150 style throttle body on top. Most reliable and serviceable setup without going with a late model Hemi. I like my sniper but probably wouldn't do another as the ecu is right over the engine, injectors are limited and you need to return entire unit for warranty work.

I had the edelbrock pro flow wayyy back when it first was available on a 406 Chevy small block. I liked it. It worked pretty good. And the pro flow 4 was my top choice now for my 340 duster but the distributor clearance issue steered me towards the holley sniper.
I just finished installing the sniper setup on my car. And so far I am liking it.
I also installed the hyperspark distributor and in tank pump/sending unit.
I haven’t had much driving time on it. And I had a few bugs to work out. But it’s running pretty good. And holley has great customer service.

If I was to go back to EFI, I would pick something with the ECU that could be mounted inside the car. My FI tech ECU didn’t seem to like the high under hood temps of the big block in the summer.

I have about a thousand miles on my Pro Flo 4 on my 427 Windsor in my Mustang. It's been absolutely flawless so far with the freeze we had here in the Hill Country and just upon my return home a couple weeks ago to 100 F. Turn the key and it starts immediately and is ready to go. Throttle response is as sharp as can be as is just the basic drivability. Gas mileage has improved a bunch (15 mpg during the self tune period with many flogs of the throttle). It just works in every way, this coming from a locally built carbureted crate motor dyno tuned before me. My ECU is mounted in the cabin, passenger side just behind the glove box. Very temping on my 70 Dart.

tCrr1JH.jpg

So, if someone was going to convert to fuel injection on a 440 in a Demon, what system would you recommend and why? No power adders, just a fun, hot street car.

*** Edit

I am meaning to compare fuel injection setups, not a comparison of carb vs EFI
I run a MegaSquirt MS3 Pro MPFI.
The ECU was new in 2016, so MS has newer stuff available. I can say this in 5 years of use the ECU has been bulletproof. I run a ported GM Throttle Body using a shop built adapter and all GM sensors, cheap, available anywhere and also reliable.
The Tuner Studio platform for tuning and and viewing the fuel and ignition settings is straightforward and easy to use. I have a laptop that I keep in the car to tune with.
Some of the built in controls beyond fuel and ignition with the MS3 Pro are: launch control with either fuel or ignition cut or a combo of both, traction control, electric radiator fan control, data logging, ability to have trim control over each injector independently, knock sensor, can run multiple EGO sensors, data logging.
And more. There is an active community support forum as well as information videos on you tube.
MS is not for everyone as even though you can buy a built ECU and a complete wire harness, the rest of the hardware: injectors, sensors, fuel system, ignition system is all sourced by you. So you have to make decisions on what fits your build. I was good with that as I had experience on those components, and built exactly what I wanted.
If you want a FI system that is one stop shopping and you get it all in one big box, MS is not for you.
If you want to build a fuel injection system that has a deep reservoir of user defined controls, has the hard ware components chosen by you and has a very high level of sophistication in functionality and adaptability. MS is for you.

Last edited:
ok guys. I understand the carb thing. I have several and a few intakes/setups that can be used to keep it simple with a carb or multiple carbs. I was just asking specifically, of the current offerings, who has experience with what set up, what do you like/dislike about it, would you rather had bought a different set up, and why.

I've installed several recently. I prefer the Holley Sniper much more to the FItech. Much easier to tune and diagnose, IMO and believe me, you WILL be diagnosing.

I have about a thousand miles on my Pro Flo 4 on my 427 Windsor in my Mustang. It's been absolutely flawless so far with the freeze we had here in the Hill Country and just upon my return home a couple weeks ago to 100 F. Turn the key and it starts immediately and is ready to go. Throttle response is as sharp as can be as is just the basic drivability. Gas mileage has improved a bunch (15 mpg during the self tune period with many flogs of the throttle). It just works in every way, this coming from a locally built carbureted crate motor dyno tuned before me. My ECU is mounted in the cabin, passenger side just behind the glove box. Very temping on my 70 Dart.

View attachment 1715783864

I really like the black and silver thing goin on. It looks good.

-
Back