Fuel Sending Unit - 1968 Dart?

-

chachi

Reaction score
Hello..

Looks like i have to replace my fuel sending unit. Called local parts store and found out that there are 2 different sizes...don't know which one to buy but they are the same price.

Does anyone know the size needed for a 68 Dart? or a way to find out the size without having to take the old one out first?

Thanks so much in advance guys and gals!

What size engine? /6"s and small blocks should have 5/16" toolmanmike

People will argue for hours about whether or not you NEED a 3/8" sending unit, even with a big block. I'm not going there.

I put the larger one in just in case. Get the good one from Spectra, not the cheapy off of Ebay. You'll be glad when you try to get it sealed up.

I've got a 273 Commando engine. So the 5/16 would be best? What difference does it make to go to the other size?

5/16 will be fine. "What difference does it make to go to the other size?" Larger line flows more fuel.

I am telling you, you don't want this to turn into one of those threads!!

I got the 5/16 sender from ebay ( vansautosalvage ) and haven't had any problem with it. A 1 foot piece of 3/8 tubing at the tanl wont make any difference since all the rest of your tubing to the carb is 5/16.
You might have a hard time getting the neoprene hose to fiy both sizes.
The only thing you really really need to know is reuse the original lock ring ! The new sender comes with a new seal and lock ring.Many of those lock rings are made of a thinner material and wont set the seal.

My thought would be ....purchase both....go home or use a friends lift and pull the sending unit....see which one it is, install the correct one, return the other....SIMPLE

One piece of advice...if you can get your hands on a MOPAR sending unit wrench...now that will save a lot of aggravation

a stock one for my 68 valiant is 5/16 with just a single line hook-up,the 3/8 has a second tube coming off of it,which i believe would be a return line,if i am wrong i know i will be quickly corrected..anyway just look too see how many lines are coming out of your sending unit..just one line 5/16 2 lines 3/8..brianT says it doesnt matter,so my question to him is,why would i put the 2 line one on my car when there is no place to hook it up??not trying to be a smart ***,just curious..........

My thought would be ....purchase both....go home or use a friends lift and pull the sending unit....see which one it is, install the correct one, return the other....SIMPLE

One piece of advice...if you can get your hands on a MOPAR sending unit wrench...now that will save a lot of aggravation
i used a brass punch and a small hammer,didnt have any trouble at all on or off..used the new seal with my original locking ring

-
Back