Fuel Tank question

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Upon discovering my carb's float bowls full of crap and other garbage like chunks of rust ,even with a filter this crap is getting into my carb and it's obvious I need a new fuel tank.My question is I've found a new fuel tank with 4 vents for a great price but my 72 Duster I believe has only one vent.Can I use this 4 vent fuel tank and cap off the remaining vents?I also plan on replacing pretty much the entire fuel system.Fuel lines,fuel sending unit,straps,any seals I need,fuel filter and even the fuel pump(which I'm pretty sure has crap in in as well).
I called around to possibly have my old tank cleaned and sealed but eh,the only shop around here that does that charges more than what a replacement tank costs might as well just replace it .

IM wanting to do the reverse of what your doing replacing 4 vent 71 tank with new 72 style so im watching this thread. Sorry if this is considered jacking a thread but I as you, need help from our awesome members Thanks

The blasted emissions vapor control hardware changed nearly every year from "some" 70 cars onwards. I'd say if the tank fits physically, and is clean, use it, BUT get busy and construct yourself a 69/ earlier vent, which consists of a simple tube welded into "near the top" of the filler neck in the trunk, and run down through the trunk gasket and open ended inside the rear frame rail.

You could probably also use the 4 vent fittings, but you need to figure a way to run them "up high" to avoid siphoning, and then back down.

2cmugso.jpg

Take some of those "chunks of rust", and squash them between thumb and forefinger. If they crumble to dust, this may be no big deal. I wouldn't be eager yet to replace the tank.The source could be the fuel line itself. I would just buy about three filters, and replace them one at a time as necessary. By the time the third one goes on I would almost bet the line is flushed out.The really fine stuff will still get through the best commonly available in-line filters. And this too is no biggie; it is just iron-oxide,one of the ingredients in sparklers. Iron oxide will pass harmlessly through the system

Last edited:
to clean the tank get a length of chain or some rocks and taoss them into the tank seal up all of the holes and tumble it around till all of the rust is knocked loose then clean it out thoughouly. orielly's carries a product called red kote it lines the inside of the tank and seals any pin holes if there are any.

to clean the tank get a length of chain or some rocks and taoss them into the tank seal up all of the holes and tumble it around till all of the rust is knocked loose then clean it out thoughouly. orielly's carries a product called red kote it lines the inside of the tank and seals any pin holes if there are any.
yeah,I thought about doing this but I'm just going to get a new fuel tank and all.This will be the 3rd time I've had to take my carb apart and clean the crud out of it.

Last edited:
its worse than I thought!:wtf:
See that puddle?That's gas leaking out.That is all rot and I can easily put a hole in it with my finger.Yeah,there is no sealing or cleaning this tank.It's gone.Time to replace it.And the gas in it is a brown rusty color.

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

The ethanol gas does a deal on carburetor's as well. Obviously you need a tank, but ethanol will evaporate leaving a mud like substance in the carb that will stop everything up

WOW! You should buy a lottery ticket, you are a lucky guy. If you get the Tanks Inc FI style tank, your sending unit and pick up will be above fuel level and are powder coated after galvanized coat . This wont happen to one of these. They are only about $30 more for tank and the carb pick up is $25. If you ever decide to go FI, all you need is the pump module. First pic is with FI pump installed second is of "CARB" pick up which would replace the pump. FABO deal $250 tank, carb pu, sender, shipping...strap is $35

tanks Inc FI.jpg

Tankscarb.jpg

WOW! You should buy a lottery ticket, you are a lucky guy. If you get the Tanks Inc FI style tank, your sending unit and pick up will be above fuel level and are powder coated after galvanized coat . This wont happen to one of these. They are only about $30 more for tank and the carb pick up is $25. If you ever decide to go FI, all you need is the pump module. First pic is with FI pump installed second is of "CARB" pick up which would replace the pump. FABO deal $250 tank, carb pu, sender, shipping...strap is $35

View attachment 1714943922

View attachment 1714943925
I want to use this filler in my 1971 Duster,getting rid of EVC style tank with the 4 vent lines,my quesiton is what year of fueltank to buy for my duster to use with this filler? thanks 67dart273 any ideas?

fuel filler.jpg

I want to use this filler in my 1971 Duster,getting rid of EVC style tank with the 4 vent lines,my quesiton is what year of fueltank to buy for my duster to use with this filler? thanks 67dart273 any ideas?

View attachment 1714945649
All the tanks for A bodies from 64-74 are identical except for vents and filler tube diameter. All the Tanks Inc FI tanks like in the photo above, are single vent tube units, and will have either a 2" filler hole or 2 1/4" hole. the filler neck/tube is either 1 3/4" OD or 2" OD. The grommets are different as well. Measure your tube, then let me know what size. These tanks can easily be used for either single or multiple vent systems. It is the best tank available for Mopars period. Galvanized then powdercoated silver, Fuel pickup or pump assy and sender are all above fuel level so no worries about leaking or Chinese sender rings!

All the tanks for A bodies from 64-74 are identical except for vents and filler tube diameter. All the Tanks Inc FI tanks like in the photo above, are single vent tube units, and will have either a 2" filler hole or 2 1/4" hole. the filler neck/tube is either 1 3/4" OD or 2" OD. The grommets are different as well. Measure your tube, then let me know what size. These tanks can easily be used for either single or multiple vent systems. It is the best tank available for Mopars period. Galvanized then powdercoated silver, Fuel pickup or pump assy and sender are all above fuel level so no worries about leaking or Chinese sender rings!
My filler neck is 2 inch,how do i order from you? what is FABO total cost with pick up tube and fuel gauge? Thanks

View attachment 1714943922

View attachment 1714943925
Do the sending units work as good as the stock sending units as far as reading correctly with a stock gauge? Are you a dealer for tanks inc? The reason I ask is I'm on my second tank using my stock sending unit and fighting to get the ring to seal correctly on the tank. Looking at the FI tank I like the way it seals the sending unit with a flange using bolts and a rubber gasket
Pat Faley
67 NB Barracauda
69 Vert project

find us on the web at magnummopar. or pm for phone number. We are dealers for tanks inc. We have special FABO prices if you call the shop.

May not be worth your trip but I just took an origional sender out of a 73 duster today. Appears to be in Excellent shape. I believe it only has one vent tube. Tank appears to be very good also.
Yote

-
Back