Fuel tank sending unit rebuild service

-

retractable

Reaction score
I have used John Wolf and Co to rebuild sending units and have not used the new units that do not work right. They have a 3 day turn around and you get your sending unit back all rebuilt and they work correct. The phone is 440 942 0083 Willoughby Oh. I have sent units there for a number of years

I have used John Wolf and Co to rebuild sending units and have not used the new units that do not work right. They have a 3 day turn around and you get your sending unit back all rebuilt and they work correct. The phone is 440 942 0083 Willoughby Oh. I have sent units there for a number of years
Thanks for the info. I just got off the phone with a friend that had his cluster rebuilt by Instrument Specialties. $$$$ After installing it the gas gauge read 3/4 when full. He had a new tank and sender so all should be good. He was told to ground the sender wire and if the gauge reads full the gauge and wiring should be good. Hook up the sender out of the tank and do a sweep. If it goes from empty to full the sender should be ok and the problem is in the tank. They shorten the float arm by a 1/2" and it then works properly. Either the float is hitting a baffle at 3/4 or the arm isn't the proper length we don't know. I am just repeating what was I heard. Joe said he tried a known good original sender and had the same problem.

Thanks for the info. I just got off the phone with a friend that had his cluster rebuilt by Instrument Specialties. $$$$ After installing it the gas gauge read 3/4 when full. He had a new tank and sender so all should be good. He was told to ground the sender wire and if the gauge reads full the gauge and wiring should be good. Hook up the sender out of the tank and do a sweep. If it goes from empty to full the sender should be ok and the problem is in the tank. They shorten the float arm by a 1/2" and it then works properly. Either the float is hitting a baffle at 3/4 or the arm isn't the proper length we don't know. I am just repeating what was I heard. Joe said he tried a known good original sender and had the same problem.
I don't know if the new reproduction tanks have baffles inside or not.
We all know the reproduction senders are just wrong. Adjust it so to show full at full? Will showing empty be early or late? Bottom line, To have the OEM sender restored is the better route.

Used John Wolf & company to rebuild my factory unit after trying the spectra brand sending unit. The spectra unit did not read correctly (about 1/2 tank lower than what it really was). After installing the rebuilt factory unit, the gauge is reading accurate now.

I'm running the Spectra unit in mine and I must have gotten lucky. This weekend it was reading 1/8th tank, so I stopped and filled up. It took 15 gallons to fill an 18 gallon tank and the fuel gauge moved to full when I was done. I don't trust it's accuracy below 1/4 tank so I try to keep it filled when it gets that low.

I'm running the Spectra unit in mine and I must have gotten lucky. This weekend it was reading 1/8th tank, so I stopped and filled up. It took 15 gallons to fill an 18 gallon tank and the fuel gauge moved to full when I was done. I don't trust it's accuracy below 1/4 tank so I try to keep it filled when it gets that low.

First of all, you have an 18 gallon tank in name only. If you put 15 gallons in the tank, you were definitely running on EMPTY. I put 3 gallons in a completely empty 18-gallon Spectra tank, and the float did not move and the suction tube was not covered. Just after 3 gallons, the float starts to move and the suction tube starts to get submerged.

That could just as easily be a gauge issue. So I'll ask, Does the needle drop to or a bit below the 'E' at switch off? It more common for the aftermarket senders to make a empty report when only 7 to 10 gallons will fill and get full report.
Where gauge function/accuracy is the fault a restored OEM sender wouldn't cure it, Which is a sales pitch of sorts for the meter match module. I don't run one but from what I've read, It will set the sender to gauge relation regardless which end the fault is on. Good luck to all

So, do they work on aftermarket cheap ones, that have bigger tubes on them ? What does it cost ?

First of all, you have an 18 gallon tank in name only. If you put 15 gallons in the tank, you were definitely running on EMPTY. I put 3 gallons in a completely empty 18-gallon Spectra tank, and the float did not move and the suction tube was not covered. Just after 3 gallons, the float starts to move and the suction tube starts to get submerged.
Interesting. I don't daily drive the car so it's no big deal to put fresh gas in every time I drive, it seems to burn a half a tank every time I take it out. I'd like to convert to EFI so I'm looking into ways to convert the tank that I have to an in-tank pump with a return line system. Aeromotive is five minutes from my work, so I'm thinking about stopping by and talking to them to get their thoughts. They make a tank for the 70+ A bodies but not the earlier ones.

Interesting. I don't daily drive the car so it's no big deal to put fresh gas in every time I drive, it seems to burn a half a tank every time I take it out. I'd like to convert to EFI so I'm looking into ways to convert the tank that I have to an in-tank pump with a return line system. Aeromotive is five minutes from my work, so I'm thinking about stopping by and talking to them to get their thoughts. They make a tank for the 70+ A bodies but not the earlier ones.
mine is a throttle body f.inj., retun line set up, and still burns about what u are getting. When the car starts, I can`t hear the external pump anyway.

-
Back