Future of the classic car hobby may be unstable per experts?

-

TheMoparMan

Modifies everything
Reaction score
I found an interesting article regarding the classic and muscle car hobby......
"There is an interesting thing going on in the world of classic cars right now. In the very recent past, several huge collections have been liquidated, a much higher number than usual. It's hard to put your finger on why, but some experts have theorized that, as baby boomers start reaching the age where they begin dying off, the market for things like classic muscle cars is going to shrink, as younger people won't have any nostalgia for them".

What do you all think? I can't predict the future but I don't agree with it.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/11...-Lots-of-Incredible-Old-and-Rare-Cars-7723607

Your link brought up a page of headlines that didn't include the article.

I do have a question about what you've stated the article says, though. Instead of theorizing why not ask those who are selling off the collections?

Everything runs in cycles, including us

As we die off the desire for our stuff shrinks

I didn't read the article but have been saying this for years

In my younger days a restored model T was 20,000 today you can buy one for 1/2 that because all the guys that wanted one as a kid are gone.

There are still some important vehicles that hold their value, but most will not.

Just last night I was at grocery store with several kids bagging and on registers. One young teenage girl told a boy, I WANT A DIESEL TRUCK.

Don't know what it is but the young girls in this area want big trucks, and she was a real cutie!

Go to any car related event, what do you see, a bunch of old gray hair people

The only positive thing is the sale of some of these collection means that maybe some of them will get some exposure and interest the younger generations

But many of my car buddies say, MY KIDS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THE CARS and these are guys older than me and their kids are not that much younger.

View attachment image.jpg

My cars that will get sold in the future due to lack of interest from the girls

Every sale has a buyer. Sellers can't sell without them. The classics don't go to the crusher. They simply change owners.
Youngest of my 5 grandkids comes here every Tuesday morn for 4 hours. I take him to the afternoon 4K class. He asked to ride papas red car from day one. Nothing new. All 5 ( 3 girls, 2 boys ) want to ride in it every chance they get.
When 4 year old classmates comment on the car and Benji says, "That's my papas red car. I ride in the front seat without my booster seat sometimes." I say, "I told you not to tell anybody." He says, "Sorry papa, I forgot." All smiles all around. Please know this isn't common practice. I'm not a bad grandpa. Little bugger was just bragging about a special ride in a special car.
I guess my point goes back to the beginning of this post and those new owners. What effects or influences result is anyone's guess.

I believe the OP is onto something. The Baby boomer generation is largely responsible for the popularity of the Collector Car hobby, and many other nostalgic collector item hobbies.
Most of the baby boomer generation is either retired or nearing retirement age. As with most people, when you reach that age, you have a tendency to simplify your life. Selling off car collections is one of those "simplifications".

Beyond that, most younger car "collectors" today, do not amass such large collection of restored cars. I'm not talking about the guy up the street that has 15 cars sitting around on his property. These people are Classic Car Collectors,as much as they are junk collectors. I'm talking about guys like Leno. Guys who not only collect classics and memorable cars, and cars that had some meaning to them as a teen or young adult, but guys who also actively and regularly spend the time and money to restore, hotrod, and maintain ALL of the classic vehicles he owns.

The younger generation doesn't seem to have the same fascinations, desires, and wants that the Baby Boomers have for these cars. Yes, there is a hand full of guys in the younger generations who still appreciate them, but for most kids coming up today, it's the Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, and other cars that were "THE" desirable cars of their youth that is their passion.

While there are some of the under 30 crowd who still appreciate the Classics and classic muscle cars, MOST of these young guys look to "tuners" for their personal choices. It is what they wanted as teens, and it is what is available for cheap. There is an huge after market contingent of products available, for these cars, used parts are plentiful and still pretty cheap, and decent low millage examples of used cars are also plentiful.

These are guys who were raised with FWD, FI 4 cylinder cars, and transverse mounted V6's. TO them, a V8 is not only unnecessary, but inefficient, heavy, and expensive to operate. Forget about carburetors, they don't have a clue how to work on them, or tune them, and they don't care. These kids are 100% fuel injected.

The Collector car hobby in is flux right now. Many private collections are going to museums instead of private hands, younger people are more interested in the cars of THEIR youth, rather than the cars of our youth, MPG's are replacing torque ratings, and HP ratings of a turbo 4 cylinder can easily mater that of a new Hemi. Hell! Look at Fords Turbo "Ecoboost V6". Presently it make more HP than their 5.4L V8 of only 5 years ago.

While the collector car hobby will continue, what is being collected will slowly change to that which is desirable to the young guys. TODAY'S GENERATIONS of gear heads.

That not to start a role call here of young guys who enjoy the classics, I know there are many, but they, and we, will soon no longer be a majority in the collector car hobby, or numbers are, indeed, dwindling, and being replaced by the under 30 majority of 80's and 90's cars collectors, tuners, and enthusiasts.

Just like we replaced the Pre-WWII enthusiasts, so shall we be replaced. Is it going to happen? Yes. It's only a matter of time.

There is one more ingredient that I have not mentioned, yet, the Federal and state governments. For the last 30 years there has been grumbles form the Environmentalists for laws to limit the age of cars registered and insurable for use on public highways. The range of that age is between 20 year old cars and trucks, to 30 year old cars and trucks. Today, that lobby has been squelched by many of the SEMA members. It's pretty evident that sooner or later some type of legislation is going to be passed to limit the age of cars that can be driven on the public roads. It's going to happen. Maybe not in the next 5 years, but almost certainly in the next 20 years.

We've seen one (very passive) iteration of the Government's involvement in attempting to do away with classics. Obama's "Cash for Clunkers" program took many viable cars off the roads, and, at the same time, reduced used cars and parts availability, that resulted in an increase in the retail prices of both.

When the government mandates an age limit on street legal cars the Collector car hobby will change drastically. These cars will become museum pieces, show vehicles, and parade cars, and will be illegal for use on public roads. There will, of course, be the rebel owner who says "I'm going to drive my car no matter what the law is", and that person will, most likely, lose that car, and his drivers license, if caught.

The 20 (or 30) year rule has been toyed with about dozen times so far, and thanks to the folks at SEMA And other car enthusiast organizations, hit hasn't gotten traction. Let's hope it stays that way, and the government doesn't get into the business of telling us what we can't drive.

I hope it doesn't limit the age of vehicles on the roads. But it will definitely change. The car culture in southern California is different that other places in the nation to some extent. Even 30's and 40's cars have a higher value here than other places. But that's modified. People can drive cars year round here and not have to put them away. The younger kids are buying the stock classics and modding them with modern equipment. Modern suspensions, steering etc. Also our transit system is lacking here. 3 hrs to ride a bus with strangers 20 to 30 miles or less vs in a car it's 20 min. Earthquakes keep us from having subway systems and we have a huge freeway system set up around our cars. Kids these days in California have lpads as toddlers and cellphones by 7 or 8 year's are not as flabbergasted by them in teen years as in other states. In southern California I see kids still waiting to drive and parents dropping big coin For them to buy vintage cars and or performance modern muscle. Cars are a status symbol to kids here...... I see it changing but not as dramatically here as even hipsters are about personal vehicles. even they have classics with modern tech added. I see car shows and events all over here year round and it's not just old folk anymore but younger guys. I myself was not around in the muscle car era. Teens and young adults out her are still building classics as the exemption for Smog makes modding easy. I've also noticed a drop in the import scenes and them gradually moving over to classic cars. They get tired of the Smog regs and all the computer related components that are hard to find after 10 years or so. They are discovering that the old stuff is easier to work on and find Parts for, mostly for Gm stuff I'm seeing. The newer stuff will be hard to restore after ten years or so when the factory stops part production. One or two Smog components go or the ecu (computer) goes and it's done. No passing Smog it's off to the junk yard. Although I'm just guessing here as we can't see the future..... But I do see some as far as the regs go in California it favors cars from 1975 or prior. Thanks to governor Arnold Schwarzenegger those cars are exempt and protected indefinitely in California. 1976 to 1979 are in a grey area, still smogged but may be added to the permanent exemption list at a future point. Anything 1980 or afterwards will never be Smog exempt in california. They will always have to pass original emission standards for that model year. This is how they are controlling the phase out of newer vehicles as they know when you computer or Smog Parts go and that there is no replacement for it your done. So the classics will retain popularity to some extent here because of the law, the abundance of classics, the car centered culture, the weather that is favorable and the lack of decent major public transit. I do see changing over all across the market eventually, but southern California is a whole different animal.... Ive driven across the country and have seen how vastly different The transportation systems are how the cultures differ. We have vast free parking and freeways that have no tolls.
We have outdoor malls with parking right in the middle unlike New York city or DC.
Our people here are more into our cars and don't like talking and sitting next to strangers as much and hate to wait or anything like a bus or bus stops. We want to get in and go where we went right when we went at a moment's notice. I think the future car hobby as a whole will be affected but it will differ depending on where you live and the laws in each area.

Lets consider the dollar and how it plays into this. Everybody suffered back when the world economy tanked. I'm sure there were many who strongly considered selling off at least a portion of the herd. To do so would have added insult to injury. So if there is currently a rash of collections being sold off, todays improved economy does lessen the insult a bit.

Everything runs in cycles, including us

As we die off the desire for our stuff shrinks

I didn't read the article but have been saying this for years

In my younger days a restored model T was 20,000 today you can buy one for 1/2 that because all the guys that wanted one as a kid are gone.

There are still some important vehicles that hold their value, but most will not.

Just last night I was at grocery store with several kids bagging and on registers. One young teenage girl told a boy, I WANT A DIESEL TRUCK.

Don't know what it is but the young girls in this area want big trucks, and she was a real cutie!

Go to any car related event, what do you see, a bunch of old gray hair people

The only positive thing is the sale of some of these collection means that maybe some of them will get some exposure and interest the younger generations

But many of my car buddies say, MY KIDS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THE CARS and these are guys older than me and their kids are not that much younger.

View attachment 1714766593

My cars that will get sold in the future due to lack of interest from the girls

bingo...

younger kids are into what they grew up with and or can afford.. yes you see some younger kids at classic car shows but go to honda/import day show at say atco raceway and see what the kids are really in to.. and there is no shortage of people there. the numbers of people and cars is just incredible.

how are those carbuzz guys so smart?

diehl-thumb-550x309-41765.png

If it is dying off then by the time I'm fourty I should be able to pick up a good deal :)

A lot of the big Collections are selling I think due to the economy on the rebound. When it was tanking investors turned to the classic car market and bought lower and drove prices at auctions up. Now that it's recovering and the market is not as soft they are selling off at a decent price it. And re investing elsewhere.

I feel Moparman makes a lot of goods points. I've personally seen, like many of you "older" guys,the interest and market for "musclecars" start in mid 80's, go up and down several times. but let us realize what some of the high end " collector" guys ( and/or speculators) do is far removed from the mainstream hobby. he's totally right, as we "boomers" die off or become senile, so will there be dieoff of a large part of the population into these musclecars. there are many younger people taking our place though. but true, the tuner group will be and is large. some of these guys will get into the collector type musclecar when they can afford them though. there is difference in the general finances of the average 20 year old vs the guy in 30's and 40's!??? been there..
the high end investor/speculator jumped into this market after the wall street crash of 87-8, and helped run up the price of the lesser car ( say for example the 69 383 runner, of which what?85,000 were built?), they bought the superbirds, hemi cudas etc. and they jumped out in bout 91-2. theese guys sold their cars (as the market crashed), to their rich buddies, and laughed all the way to the bank! and then the market fell flat on its face till it slowly rose again.
take Leno. he is a "lover" of these old cars like most of us, he just has a bigger bank account and larger building, I dare say he is no speculator. is it an investment? yes, but he needs it NOT as an investment. I dare say....other collecors selling off? who knows, i'm sure they are smarter than I am!in my opinion, these types are collector car crazed one year, the next they are buying large ranches and wanna be cowboys, the next year, they've moved back to wall street.
what I love about our old Mopar market right now, IS cars and parts are affordable, people have found love and joy with the lowly slant A or 318 A car. I can tell ya 15 years ago, in most parts of our country, an original 340 '70 duster wasn't worth squat and NO ONE hardly would even think of putting time and $$ into an early A car mush less one with a slant!
I have also noticed as some of us get older, we find joy in cars we wouldn't have looked twice at 20 years ago. LOL
the gov't?????? I really don't think they will be a factor. the miles driven by these old cars compared to the general car population is miniscual.( sorry bout spelling). and people hate the gov't infringes on their rights. will a cat convertor be mandatory in many states, maybe......
to be this subject is interesting, but I for one will not change my interest based on what anyone else or any other generation does or thinks, just me....

Looks like the link may have been changed. Or their site is having issues....

the other thing i see a lot of older guys starting to do/ already doing (more the hobby guys than the investor guys) is they are selling their old sometimes temperamental cars that they are afraid to take out and buying new challengers,camaros and mustangs. crazy all around performance and comfort,, better on gas, and a warranty..

now with the 700 hp hell cat i'm sure more will be selling their classic for modern muscle..

I can tell you for certain that interest in 60's/70's cars is STRONG amongst the 18-25 year old demographic. I'm partners in small, underground rock venue here in my city and on any night we have a show, I answer more questions and get more comments on my cars than anything that goes on inside the place. The kids love LOVE these things.
Unlike the cars of the 30's, 40's, 50's, our cars represent a pinnacle of styling and analogue technology that transcends generational interests. One only has to look at the hottest cars offered by the auto makers today to see this. They are named and styled directly from the original muscle car era. Our cars are the originals..the real deal, and the desire for them is stronger now than I've seen in decades.
If someone told me 20 years ago that I could make a good living selling trinkets and odds and ends for Dodge Darts and Plymouth Dusters, I'd have thought the butter had slipped off their noodle!
Things are real good from where I see them.

If everyone on here with kids exposes their kids to cool cars, there's a good chance most of them will also love cars as we do. My Daughter already love riding in "Daddy's Car". She loves coming in the garage with me, sitting in the car, pretending to drive, going for rides with me, going to car shows, etc. They are the future of the hobby.

I think the higher prices of the cars nowadays will unfortunately make it harder for them to get one of their own, but there's always a good deal out there and ones that need to be fixed up that are affordable, so it's still possible.

It's just something that has to be passed down. My goal is to get an older car later on when my daughter is a little older if she shows interest and we can work on it together, restore it, etc. I'd love to do that one day and it'd be a great way to pass it on.

Take kids to car shows! Get them interested in the hobby! whether it's your kids grand kids nieces and nephews even friend's kids that show interest. We HAVE to pass our passion along to the youth. Get them involved and it won't die!

...people have found love and joy with the lowly slant A or 318 A car. I can tell ya 15 years ago, in most parts of our country, an original 340 '70 duster wasn't worth squat and NO ONE hardly would even think of putting time and $$ into an early A car mush less one with a slant!
Barb, in 1981 or 82 I purchased a 1958 392 Hemi, set up for a 6/71 blower for $150.00. How? Simple, gas prices were still going up and to the mind of many, a blown 309 Hemi was garbage. In 1984, or so, I bought a 426 Hemi engine with an 833-4 Speed attached to it for $325.00, again, it was just an old V8 to most people.

Purchased a 66 Coronet 383/auto in running condition, needed some minor body work for rust and such. I bought the car, and drove it 75 miles home. It cost me $1800.00.
A 69 GTX 440/4Bbl/4 speed/Dana cost me $750.00, and the car had 62K miles on it, needed paint. I drove that car for 4 years, as is, and sole it 1981 for $2800.00

None of these things were one time bargains. These were the going prices for these cars and engines, and parts at the time.

In 1970, I purchased a 1969 GTX with the same drive train as the one I mentioned above, with only 1600 that Sixteen HUNDRED miles on it. It was my neighbors car. He bought it new, for his wife. She hated it, and almost never drove it. at 13 months old it had 1600 miles on it. He'd already paid a %500.00 down payment, and 13 monthly payments on the car. It had a 36 month loan on it. He offered me the car for free, if I would make the remaining 23 payments on it. I did just that.

At the time I had a 1968 Hemi Roadrunner that I had purchased new on 1968. The GTX made the perfect daily driver to the Roadrunner's weekend warrior status. Between both cars I didn't have $5000 invested.

All about supply and demand. As we speak Classic's that are potentially restorable are getting crushed. Just like a parts car in this forum a classic with some rust or other issues becomes more valuable parted out and once its been picked over it eventually goes to the crusher to squeeze more $$$ out. The result of this cycle is that many are saved with the purchased parts and many are lost forever and EPA/Big Brother regulations lean hard on salvage operators which is why we have seen some of the older big yards that are full of Classic's close up recently. Old cars will always be pariah's to some and objects of beauty and historical significance to others and that will not change. While most of the comment's in this thread are spot on with the mindset of the younger generation, there will always be folks that have an appreciation for history that refuse to follow the crowd and dare to be different. I for one wish muscle car values would completely tank as I would be the first one in line scooping up as many as I could. I don't see it happening ever and I also believe that we are in quite a favorable niche with Mopar Abodies (particularly the early ones) as they are extremely undervalued and as the supply dries up values will increase. Wishful thinking......maybe, but I consider owning some early A's just another diversification in my portfolio and while they take up a helluva lot more space and require maintenance I haven't yet figured out how to drive a Krugerrand.
No worries IMHO !!!

I see where there will be fewer people possessing the appreciation/interest in classic cars in the future. In the same way, I was exploring the downtown of a small city, and stumbled onto a clock repair place. Hundreds of beautiful clocks, just a lone old guy at a workbench. Not something future generations are going to care about.

It has always been unstable.
For example : The super collectible Ferraris are just now getting back to their peak value of 25 years ago.
The supply and demand is also rather variable.
Right now is a great time to enjoy our old cars.

I see where there will be fewer people possessing the appreciation/interest in classic cars in the future. In the same way, I was exploring the downtown of a small city, and stumbled onto a clock repair place. Hundreds of beautiful clocks, just a lone old guy at a workbench. Not something future generations are going to care about.

Interesting you should mention old clocks which are another passion of mine as an analogy. One of the reason's I collect objects from yesteryear is the pride and quality that went into things that were not manufactured with an expiration date. Companies in the past had to build stuff to last which is why these object's ARE STILL around hundreds of years later. Look at anything made nowadays in our throwaway society where it has become acceptable and the norm to replace in 5 or 10 years and I'm not talking about technological advances making something irrelevant but quality of material's, design and the manufacturing process. I have old furniture that is still functional hundreds of years later after surviving countless moves over the course of its life, why? Because it was built well with quality, the Ol'lady bought some POS bookcase at IKEA about 8 years ago and it was put where she wanted it, it never moved and the damn thing literally fell apart on it's own. My old clocks still run and keep perfect time and guess what, No Batteries. While they still try to replicate the old spring wound clocks it once again comes back to quality and the brass in the movements is low quality so they ware out and become just another throw away item. I don't think anything from the throwaway society we currently live in will ever be coveted but objects from the past always will. Never by the masses but by those who can appreciate the quality. There will always be some of us.
Thank God !!!

The OP has to be wrong here (or at least the article)!! All I know is what I see and hear. I take my daughter to high school every morning and pick her up every afternoon in my 69 Barracuda. A day does not pass when one (or many) of the young school kids don't say, "Is your car for sale", or "I love your car", or "Where did you get that beautiful hot rod!!!". My daughter, who just turned 15 years old, absolutely refuses to have, as she says, "No car made in this century". This a 15 year old girl (girly girl I might add). Her dream car is a 57, 58, 59 Sport Fury type car.... YES, we're talking "Christene"!!! She says that if we buy her a newer car she'll just keep it long enough to trade it in on the car she really wants. My son, who is now 19 years old, drove the '46 Chevy Coupe I built for him to school every day since he was 16 years old. He was continually bombarded by other school kids who wanted to buy his car. That '46 Chevy made him one of the most popular boys in his school, they even asked that he bring his car for year book day to make sure they could get some pics of it for the yearbook. Neither of my kids are anywhere near "The baby boomer" generation!!! I think that there won't be enough old cars left for these kids when they get older.
I don't know why but young kids nowadays (I'm talking middle and high school) love the older cars, especially from the muscle car era. Like I said, all I know is what I see and hear and what I see and hear does not jive with what was proposed by the OP's article.
JMO>>>>>>>>>>
treblig

Attachments

• DSC02144.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC02145.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC01623.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC01628.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC01629.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 302
I have to wonder, as new cars get more expensive, sorrier ( GM problems ring a bell), dealer shop repair prices go out the roof, etc. ........ if mor e people won't see the logic in driving one of our "basic" old cars!!!!! and making their own repairs?
I realize not everyone wants one to make a 100 mi perday round trip to work in one everyday, but....

-
Back