galen govier

-
I actually met Galen around November 2006, when we delivered a sold fastback to Hollywood, CA. We picked up a 69 M Code Dart that Galen was looking over. After we loaded it up he invited all of us to Goldberg's ranch house. It was the coolest thing! He lives just north of San Diego, CA. Goldberg wasn't expecting so many people, but he was super cool. He autographed his book for all of us and gave us a tour of his garages full of Mopar goodness! The black Hemi Dart did it for me!! I'll never forget it. :thumbsup:
That's on Goldberg, he is a good guy. If you wanna hang or talk to him... just come to any car show in n.county. He lives near me.

Seen the guy 20yrs ago a show. Had a bunch of guppies circling him... he looked like an extra out of the rockford files..all fat and plaid, windbreaker, tan old guy pants...

A nothing.

Here’s a Galen tag in the correct form.

035480E5-76AC-4C63-BF61-1027174E272F.jpeg

Good probability that his wife did all the heavy lifting while he was the "face" of the business. He did not even come up with the idea, rather copied it from a lady named Lois Eminger. She was a Ford corporate employee who came up with the idea of providing owners of Ford products with the option breakdowns of their vehicles based on the V.I.N. and buck tags, or build sheets. She approached senior management about all of the files that were typically destroyed after a number of years and was told that if she wanted them, they were hers. She created a business of providing those reports to owners in the late 60s or early 70s that was later passed to Kevin Marti, and is now known as a "Marti Report".

Yup. I had a Marti report done on my old 87 lx ragtop. Damn thing was one of like 250 in that color that year and only one of 18 in that color with it's options. Was a real nice report and sent back to me pretty damn fast.

What service does he provide that people cannot do themselves with research?

None, but there was a time when putting his name on your documentation solidified the pedigree of your car. Nowadays, he has tarnished his name to the point where others more friendly, and equally as knowledgeable have taken his place. Sadly, power and knowledge go to peoples heads, and ruins their reputation, as is the case here. You can lump him into the ranks of Worman and D’augistino, 2 knowledgeable guys who’s attitudes about themselves have tarnished their contributions to the hobby. There are many more people that are humble and friendly in the hobby now that people would rather go to.

None, but there was a time when putting his name on your documentation solidified the pedigree of your car. Nowadays, he has tarnished his name to the point where others more friendly, and equally as knowledgeable have taken his place. Sadly, power and knowledge go to peoples heads, and ruins their reputation, as is the case here. You can lump him into the ranks of Worman and D’augistino, 2 knowledgeable guys who’s attitudes about themselves have tarnished their contributions to the hobby. There are many more people that are humble and friendly in the hobby now that people would rather go to.

I have been told by more than one person that Worman in person is really a great guy. Most of the BS you see on the show is for just that, show. But who knows, everybody typically has a different opinion on anything. BTW, one of the guys also said that Allysa is way hotter in person, FWIW.

The Mopar hobby was around well before this Govier guy showed up and will be around long after
Shows what fame and Hollywood can do to ya!!
Galen little books on cast numbers was the Bible decades ago. Decades ago.......
I had one of those books for decoding and production numbers from when he first was becoming known. Give him props for identifying and capitalizing (on) a niche market in the Mopar world. But with that growth comes inevitable head growth and turning into what I term a “load”. Caters to those with a lot of disposable income, newbies wanting a Mopar muscle car/collectible even a status symbol. Buying into it. Whole other culture, not Mopar gear heads, the working class guys that are up to their elbows in hot rodding. See countless ads for Mopars where mention of that guy is like some additional selling point or something special. I say big hairy *** deal. :rolleyes:

Decades ago Galen was a big deal to guys getting into the hobby with $$$$$$$ buy the " good" cars> The little guy just used his little cast # books, and basically knew bout as much fact as he did.
Lots of those numbers he throws out at just guess-a-ments. Lots of people had got down on him decades ago.
I wish him well.

The Mopar hobby was around well before this Govier guy showed up and will be around long after

I had one of those books for decoding and production numbers from when he first was becoming known. Give him props for identifying and capitalizing (on) a niche market in the Mopar world. But with that growth comes inevitable head growth and turning into what I term a “load”. Caters to those with a lot of disposable income, newbies wanting a Mopar muscle car/collectible even a status symbol. Buying into it. Whole other culture, not Mopar gear heads, the working class guys that are up to their elbows in hot rodding. See countless ads for Mopars where mention of that guy is like some additional selling point or something special. I say big hairy *** deal. :rolleyes:

Yes,just like the almost 3K dollar iron heads for sale. People just cannot get through their heads that something's worth depends NOT on how much YOU have in it. It simply depends on what people are willing to PAY. As far as that goes, that guy has a pair of 2700 dollar paper weights.

Decades ago Galen was a big deal to guys getting into the hobby with $$$$$$$ buy the " good" cars> The little guy just used his little cast # books, and basically knew bout as much fact as he did.
Lots of those numbers he throws out at just guess-a-ments. Lots of people had got down on him decades ago.
I wish him well.

ALL of his numbers are guesstimates, because of the point made earlier. Not "EVERY" car has made it through his hands, so he's only seen a "portion".

^^^ I have always been told Mother Mopar did not keep records are to many details, as to what color or transmission or etc etc they came with. Maybe I am wrong and those that keep in touch with the Historical dept. will say different.
Galen has made a lot of $$$ over the years being a number cruncher and expert. Some say self proclaimed expert.
I still respect the guy that can build a hotrod more than the guy that can recite numbers!
Sort of like the guy that can recite all the pedigrees or the guy that came train a good horse for a good job.

Say what you want but he was the one that compiled all the info, published the books, and turned it into a business. There was a nitch market that got filled.

Say what you want but he was the one that compiled all the info, published the books, and turned it into a business. There was a nitch market that got filled.

Yup, regardless of which way you think, he took advantage of capitalism and free enterprise. Both of which this country would fail without.

Yeah, that's the pot calling the kettle black. I had a conversation with you about the headers I got from you for my A-body and you assured me they would work with Power steering..... Yeah, you are one to trust also.... Puff puff-pass......

JW
JW
If I did I am very sorry. I don’t think I would do that just to sell parts. And if I did I would have refunded you your money and told you to send the parts back and paid shipping both ways. I never heard from you so how would I know. I try to never misinform anyone!

I have been told by more than one person that Worman in person is really a great guy. Most of the BS you see on the show is for just that, show. But who knows, everybody typically has a different opinion on anything. BTW, one of the guys also said that Allysa is way hotter in person, FWIW.

there a saying that I coined some time ago...”a Lion doesn’t have to tell you it’s a Lion”. What that means in this case is that it’s the guys who do the work and don’t blow their horn that do the best jobs. It’s been well established that Worman doesn’t do the quality of work of some of the better shops, but to hear him tell it, he’s the best in the business. TV or no TV, when you are the best, you don’t have to tell people how good you are. And at the 6 digit price point and 5 year wait time, you should be the best. TV reality shows are anything but, so that there turns me off right away.

JW
If I did I am very sorry. I don’t think I would do that just to sell parts. And if I did I would have refunded you your money and told you to send the parts back and paid shipping both ways. I never heard from you so how would I know. I try to never misinform anyone!

Nah, ain't buying it. You found someone who drank your koolaid that day. It's all good. I put myself out there trusting someone who supposedly knew the application. Just as people have with Govier. Luckily my damage was minimal and nothing compared to what I am reading in this thread....

JW

Nah, ain't buying it. You found someone who drank your koolaid that day. It's all good. I put myself out there trusting someone who supposedly knew the application. Just as people have with Govier. Luckily my damage was minimal and nothing compared to what I am reading in this thread....

JW
Sorry you think that way.

Last edited:
there a saying that I coined some time ago...”a Lion doesn’t have to tell you it’s a Lion”. What that means in this case is that it’s the guys who do the work and don’t blow their horn that do the best jobs. It’s been well established that Worman doesn’t do the quality of work of some of the better shops, but to hear him tell it, he’s the best in the business..

or, the way maggie thatcher used to put it...If you have to tell people you're in charge, you're not.

Yup, regardless of which way you think, he took advantage of capitalism and free enterprise. Both of which this country would fail without.

The problem isn't with his knowledge, it with his ethics and the manner in which he treats people and those who are potential customers. He could have been completely the opposite of what he is not had he not let greed get in the way and become a total D bag. There is no doubt that he has acquired a significant amount of data and information, it is what he has chosen to do with it that is the issue.

I have no doubt that there are some that expected or wanted him to provide information for free, but i think the majority of people full expected to pay for his services, unfortunately he took advantage of way too many people, failed to deliver, verified cars that he should not have, etc. Had he an ounce of humility and humanity non of this would be an issue and he would be universally celebrated in the hobby. He chose his path, now he gets to reap the rewards.

The problem isn't with his knowledge, it with his ethics and the manner in which he treats people and those who are potential customers. He could have been completely the opposite of what he is not had he not let greed get in the way and become a total D bag. There is no doubt that he has acquired a significant amount of data and information, it is what he has chosen to do with it that is the issue.

I have no doubt that there are some that expected or wanted him to provide information for free, but i think the majority of people full expected to pay for his services, unfortunately he took advantage of way too many people, failed to deliver, verified cars that he should not have, etc. Had he an ounce of humility and humanity non of this would be an issue and he would be universally celebrated in the hobby. He chose his path, now he gets to reap the rewards.

Yup.Verified cars he should not have and also not verified some he should. It certainly seems the evidence is stacked against him.

-
Back