Gas leak Holley 1850

-

4drzdart

Reaction score
Hi guys,

been a while I came here ... but did not touch the car for a while also ...

anyway the car has been stting in my garage for almost a year without being started. I just changed the intake, reinstalled the carb and tryed it.
Surprise !!! gas was spraying from the tube connecting the two fuel bowls. I retighted the bowls 4 bolts, same result.

Removed the carb, removed the bowls, and saw that the o-ring were kind of dry. I have redone the carb, about two years ago, with a gasket kit that I got at Stowe flea market.

Turns out that o-ring, good for gas, are unavailable around here.
I tought I could put back the tube and the bowls, and pack the opeingin around the tube with black RTV. Anyone ever used black RTV for something like that?

I hate those Holleys with the transfer tube...I always change out the bowl to the dual center hung bowls...

probably not the answer you want....

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-4-barrel-26-37-Carburetor-Transfer-Tube-O-Ring-Seals-/261647179840?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ceb632040&vxp=mtr"]Holley 4 Barrel 26 37 Carburetor Transfer Tube O Ring Seals | eBay[/ame]

I hate those Holleys with the transfer tube...I always change out the bowl to the dual center hung bowls...

that sucks ... sold a 750cfm Holley with that setup, the bowls your are talking plus the chrome tube to feed them, to a good friend ...

Look for an old holley with those bowls....

Get the list # off the air horn and order a Holley rebuild kit , it has the O rings you need . I wouldn't use RTV , summit or jegs has the kit you need .

Holley 4 Barrel 26 37 Carburetor Transfer Tube O Ring Seals | eBay

X2
My little 600 Holley got that treatment many years ago. never looked back.

If the o-ring is still in good shape lube the o-ring with dialectical grease and gently put it back together.
Do NOT us RTV, gas will eat it and turn it into slime!!!!

Get the list # off the air horn and order a Holley rebuild kit , it has the O rings you need . I wouldn't use RTV , summit or jegs has the kit you need .
I was just trying to avoid getting a new complete kit, since the rest is new ... and it's always a bit more complicated to get stuff here :banghead:
But if nothing works I will go that way.

X2
My little 600 Holley got that treatment many years ago. never looked back.

If the o-ring is still in good shape lube the o-ring with dialectical grease and gently put it back together.
Do NOT us RTV, gas will eat it and turn it into slime!!!!
Will try that dialectric grease, might be enough, since the o-ring did not looked crack just a bit dry.

Thanks guys :thumbrig:

-
Back